Painting with Aerosol Cans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Over the 30 year life of my Mainship, many changes have occurred on my FlyBridge dashboard. I have epoxied many small holes and scratches. What I would like to be able to do is to paint the dash area before I install an new instrument Panel.
I no longer have a shop with tools and spray equipment. I called Rustoleum and they told me that their primer with their auto enamel will be compatible with epoxy and gelcoat.

I know how to use aerosol cans for touch-up but never used it for an anything large.

QUESTION: has anyone here ever painted part of their boat with aerosol cans and how professional were the results?

Another option would be to pick up a Preval Sprayer and use a good Marine topside paint (interlux etc.). These would work just like a spray can but allow use of a higher quality paint...

https://preval.com/

I would stay away from spray cans and just use a small paint roller and tip off with a good quality paint brush . I have seen fantastic finish achieved with this technique .

Last edited:
And I've seen/done very nice spray jobs with spray cans and Prevals. So as usual, YMMV.

I know someone who painted a whole car with spray cans, car was used in rally competition so it didn`t need to be perfect (and was liable to need work again), but it looked good. Probably needs less extensive time consuming masking up too.

Greetings,
One of the "problems" with rattle cans (spray cans) is the solids content. Lots of solvents and propellants but as I mentioned, short on solids and solids are what covers and imparts longevity to a coating. I concur with Mr. g. as to rolling and tipping. You're going to have to mask off in any case and unless done where there is NO breeze, you'll have over spray with a rattle can or gun.

A owner next to me painted a panel on his Gibson houseboat a few years ago and it still looks fine. He used spray cans that were mixed to match his paint by a auto parts store. The panel faces southeast and catches a lot of sun.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

It's possible to do a good paint job with spray cans. It's not the cans, it's the talent and experience of the person pushing the button. Or lack thereof.

Use quality paint, not the $1 per can stuff.

I've sprayed touch up areas with the Preval using paint and gelcoat. I practiced on a throw away flat surface after I mixed the right consistency without the spray being to thin or thick. I'd challenge anyone to find the repairs.

recommend using the clip on handle built for spray cans.:thumb: I have painted 90 roll up doors using Rustolum employing such a handle. Makes the job professional in appearance and sure easy on the lack of using one's thumb for a long period of time. :dance:

Al 27'Marben pocket CRUISER

Large areas w spray cans is not very inexpensive.

My dad painted many repairs back in the day on his fiberglass boats with near perfect results. As stated above it's more the skill of the painter than the device that applies it. Larry makes a great point about practicing on a piece of scrap prior to showtime. You have good DIY skills Tony so this should look great when you are done. :thumb::thumb:

Another vote for the preval.

I spray painted the mast on my NT with a rattle can.
It was flaking off so I used a wire wheel to remove the old paint and then primed and sprayed.
Looked really good and 1.5 years later, still hasn't peeled.

Another option is to purchase an HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight and borrow a compressor. I've sprayed tons of Rustoleum oil based paints cut with acetone thru those guns and they do a really nice job. The gun less than $20 on sale.

Large areas w spray cans is not very inexpensive.

Ah...Eric, a dashboard is not exactly a large area, I would think.
I also take the point re the suggestion of a clip-on spray can handle, which I presume makes the holding and the depression of the spray knob much easier on the fingers, as I've done a bit of spray can painting, and it's hard on the fingers, and your fingertip sometimes interferes with the spray, causing droplets.

Rattle cans work great for primer.

A top coat can be fine over a modest area.

One trick is to purchase the cans from the same case , which usually ashures constant color.

For a hull or big area Roll & Tip , but for the rest a rattle can is great!

I've sprayed touch up areas with the Preval using paint and gelcoat.

Another vote for Prevalent...
I've used it w Awlcraft primer and it worked very well

For other general painting I've had good luck w cans of engine enamel.
Colors are limited but if a basic color works it has a high solids content, dries fast and sprays uniformly.

I just googled the site of Prevale.
They don't say how it works.
What are you buying? An "empty" aerosol can that allows paint to be added?

I checked as well. I get the same impression that you did. Something that will spray your own paint (which is good because you can get color matched paint). Apparently you buy new pressure cylinders when needed.

This may or may not be less expensive than off the shelf quality spray paint. It would seem to be pretty good for small jobs and I suppose it would spray gelcoat.

For the folks who have used this, how about some practical information?

??..Ummmm...There are pictures and a video...

Color selection spray can auto paint at NAPA is some good stuff. Can develop runs/sags in paint pretty easy when spraying, so you must be good at pointing, moving-along, and maintaining correct distance away. With a couple to three coats items shine gloss as new. Of course the final finish smoothness is dependent on preparation of surface. And, taped masking is required to catch over-spray. That's why they still print newspapers - isn't it??

Anybody ever try using a spray can with one of those little "soda straw" attachments to touch up minor details in tight places? IOW, without have do to as much masking?

-Chris

You can do a decent job with spray cans. The trick is to put on several light coats allowing solvents to flash off between coats. Don't even think about trying to cover in a single coat. Also you have to keep the can moving at an even speed and paint well past the ends of the area being painted so that direction changes in can movement don't result in too much paint on an area. The negative of spray cans is the quality of the paint. I have found that the paints used in common brands also take a LONG time to cure adequately for recoating if you let them go overnight before recoating. That is particularly true if you put a bit too much paint on in the first coat.

Preval sprayers work well, but they are fussy about the consistency of the paint. If the paint is just a tiny bit too thick the sprayer won't spray and is very difficult to clean out.

I personally wouldn't use a 1 part retail store spray paint over gelcoat or a 2 part poly paint. Blending them in would be hard as would the color match. I guess it's what type of finish you're looking for.

The Preval sprayer is 2 parts, the aerosol/propellant and the bottle. You mix the medium you want to spray or have some else mix it for you.

I've sprayed gelcoat with a preval sprayer. Worked great.

It is essentially a reservoir, and an aerosol charge, screwed together, that uses a venturi pickup.

Most hardware stores sell the unit and replacement charge. Empty container and gas charge for propellant. The huge advantage is you can spray your color and your product. These are decent and are not expensive. These have been around for a long time. Touch up or small areas only. They are easy to use and will get you to cocktail time quicker.

Anybody ever try using a spray can with one of those little "soda straw" attachments to touch up minor details in tight places? IOW, without have do to as much masking?

-Chris

It will just come out in drips...

I cut an oversized hole in a pretty good sheet of cardboard...hold it an inch or two away...closer if tiny area...and spray.

Essentially the same as masking but without tape lines and you can get close to the cardboard to prevent overspray... yet it is far enough away from the surface to keep a nice pattern for good coverage without excess.

Practice on a few scraps to get the size and distance you want.

I checked as well. I get the same impression that you did. Something that will spray your own paint (which is good because you can get color matched paint). Apparently you buy new pressure cylinders when needed.

This may or may not be less expensive than off the shelf quality spray paint. It would seem to be pretty good for small jobs and I suppose it would spray gelcoat.

For the folks who have used this, how about some practical information?

The container is an empty glass "jar" and the replaceable aerosol spray head screws on and has a pick up tube attached.
Like someone said you have to get the viscosity right - just as you do with other spray equipment - I found following Awlcraft mix recommendation is worked fine. Relatively easy to clean w/ a paper / plastic cup of solvent - just hold the pick up tune in the solvent a spray a little.

Advantage is not cost - although they aren't all that expensive - and readily available at many hardware / home stores
The big advantage is you can spray small quantities of "custom" finishes not available in rattle cans - including 2 part finishes you custom mix just before using.
Great for touch / small area / projects up not so much for a big job.

Back
Top Bottom