Shore power cord length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it safe to plug two 50' 50amp cords together to create a 100' cord? I confess I did not read the 60 previous posts. ♨️♨️

"Is it safe to plug two 50' 50amp cords together to create a 100' cord?"

No problem.

One thought is the on board deck socket and power hose should be set so you can "buddy plug " a rafted boat .

This may require some modification of the shore/noisemaker transfer setup.

Is it safe to plug two 50' 50amp cords together to create a 100' cord? I confess I did not read the 60 previous posts. ♨️♨️
Yes, if everything is in good condition. There is a limit though, trying to pull 50 amps through 500' of coupled shore power cords is likely not going to work well. While I never draw 50 amps through my cord, I would lower the capacity as the cord got longer. When sizing wiring for electrical circuits, the size of the wire gets larger as the length gets longer for the same amperage capacity. Personally, at 200' I would limit the service to 30 amps on 50 amp service cables.

Ted

Last edited:

Safe as in nobody will get electrocuted? Yes.

Safe as in your electrical appliances will get the voltage the need to operate normally? Possibly not.

As pointed out above, the longer the cables, the more voltage drop there will be, especially at high loads. Doubling the length of the shorepower cable will cause double the voltage drop. This can cause problems for air conditioning and refrigeration equipment. Many marinas have low voltage problems to start with, especially at the outer slips.

The bottom line is, it's poor practice and you shouldn't do it unless you have no other choice. If you do, limit your use of high amperage equipment such as air conditioners, electric heat, water heaters and electric stoves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom