Grand Alaskan 53

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
So who has the skinny on these vessels?

The good and the put-up-with (there seems to be no bad)!

My wife and I were lucky enough to get invited on to Bright Star in Anacortes and OMG!! If you are an "old salt" or just wish you were...you ABSOLUTELY can't help but fall in love with one of these woodies. IMO. She seems hell for stout. The wood hull makes her heavy and ride really nice and quiet. She's warm and with wood everywhere, she just feels like a boat should feel. To stand at the helm in the pilothouse is truly something to behold. Your imagination kicks into overdrive and you just kind of drift off into your own world. My wife felt this as well and fell in love with the boat.
Being a woody, almost impossible to get financing, we couldn't get serious about one we found in California a year or so ago. The GA53 totally sold me on Arthur Defever's designs and we began looking at the 49RPH. A very similar vessel to the 53 but available in fiberglass hull. Both seem harder to come by.

perhaps confusing Grand Alaskan with Alaskan by Grand Banks?

perhaps confusing Grand Alaskan with Alaskan by Grand Banks?

Seems that way. They are two completely different kinds of vessels built by totally different manufacturers. First photo is a Grand Alaskan. Second photo is an American Marine Alaskan. American Marine also created the Grand Banks line of boats. All AM Alaskans are wood and date from the 1960s and early 1970s.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1452846473.886034.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1452846489.382786.jpg

Correct. The Grand Alaskan 53 was designed by Art DeFever and built by Oviatt Marine.

Grand Alaskan 53

Grand Banks, for whom Art also designed, sued Oviatt for the "Grand" name. Oviatt didn't have the funds for a protracted legal battle so agree to give up the name so long as existing boats could retain it.

Alaskan still build the Alaskans along the lines of the DeFever designs.

Home: Alaskan Yachts

..and the Grand Alaskan 53 molds are lying unused in Taiwan. The yard would work direct with anyone who wanted to build one...

So who has the skinny on these vessels?

The good and the put-up-with (there seems to be no bad)!

Was on a Grand Alaskan 53 a couple of years ago for a walk around. Couple next to me were watching it for their friends. Impressive boat. Guess I was expecting more rooms for the size. The rooms are very spacious. Guess it's a preference thing. I rather have less boat (lower price and operating cost) for the same number of rooms. The two couples were talking about a trip to the Bahamas. This GA has a 1,200 GPD water maker. So the other couple with their Monk, were joking about water replenishment from the mother ship while in the Bahamas. The outside spaces for entertaining and storage of dingy and other water sports toys were impressive as I recall.

edit: It's been 2 years, the boat I was on may have been the 60' model.

Ted

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom