Imagine that, a 36’ Pilothouse.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Here you go Eric & Marin a 36 foot boat that the builders decided is a Pilothouse.

Looks just like Tollys, Unflites, Canoe Coves and dozens more that for 50 years have been called Sedans.

But it gets better. Stick a helm on the roof and it is no longer a Pilothouse...it's a Flybridge.

I think if I created it I’d just brand it Purdy.

http://www.norstaryachts.com/#!copy-of-norstar-360-pilothouse/cm11

Attachments

• Pilothouse.jpg
    Pilothouse.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 168
Here you go Eric & Marin a 36 foot boat that the builders decided is a Pilothouse.

Looks just like Tollys, Unflites, Canoe Coves and dozens more that for 50 years have been called Sedans.

But it gets better. Stick a helm on the roof and it is no longer a Pilothouse...it's a Flybridge.

I think if I created it I’d just brand it Purdy.

http://www.norstaryachts.com/#!copy-of-norstar-360-pilothouse/cm11

Ah yes, then there is the "Raised Pilothouse" version!

Attachments

• raised Pilothouse.jpg
    raised Pilothouse.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 129
Yes pilothouse sounds so much better than trawler, more descriptive. Until one sees the picture of course.

I've seen other builders (e.g.; Mainship) using the word "Pilot" or "Pilothouse" for what I'd call a sedan, or in some cases even a picnic boat.

I agree it would be nice to take the name back for what we (inaccurately) have called trawlers. But it would seem the marketing folks have more clout.

2000-mainship-34-pilot-express-power-boat-xmlvpp.jpg

On the plus side, compared to this, mine IS more of a trawler.

When friends call my Albin-25 a "mini-trawler" I correct them with "Scandinavian Motor Cruiser".

Attachments

• DSCF1767.jpg
    DSCF1767.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 107
That's about what my 38' Bayliner would look like without a flybridge.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Not my idea of a pilothouse model.

That's about what my 38' Bayliner would look like without a flybridge. Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I dunno, Don. A 3870 sans fly would have kind of a downeast look to it.

Attachments

• bayliner 3870 hardtop.jpg
    bayliner 3870 hardtop.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 523
Well,
Mine cruises at 16 to 18 kts. Not exactly trawler speed!

I thought the same when I saw the boat...looks kinda like mine would without the FB.

Al....yours was easy to do without the fly, but I'd sure miss the canvas.

Attachments

• Als boat sans fly.jpg
    Als boat sans fly.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 95
No, that wouldn't work. Al has lots of stuff on his flying bridge (attic) which would be unsightly without it.

Even comes with an exhaust system which is certain to lead to early turbo failure. Check where the raw water enters the exhaust just behind turbo and not even a slight downward slope....have fun with that. The guys on boatdiesel would love this example of a bad exhaust deign...

No, that wouldn't work. Al has lots of stuff on his flying bridge (attic) which would be unsightly without it.

You're right, Mark. Fortunately, his fly-bridge looks almost as good on your boat, so being his good buddy, you'll be able to carry the stuff for him.

Attachments

• coot with Al's flybridge.jpg
    coot with Al's flybridge.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 79
Larry
You are having to much fun.......love it........:dance::thumb::dance:

Attachments

• Als boat sans fly.jpg
    Als boat sans fly.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 341
  • coot with Al's flybridge.jpg
    coot with Al's flybridge.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 334
Nice work, Larry! I sort of like the new looks...especially how Mark's boat would benefit from my leftovers!

That's not my boat. It is a sister. :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom