Observation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
I was cruising YW today (get it) and noticed that there appears to have been some serious downward repricing of boats in the 40' range.* There also seems to a hecka lot more boats on the market now than there was even a*couple of months ago.**
Just a casual observation.**** KJ*

The boats right now that are hard to sell and maybe a bargain for somebody are the 40 something boats powered with Detroits(read mid 1980s vintage or older). You really can't give those things away.

40 something boats powered with Detroits(read mid 1980s vintage or older). You really can't give those things away.

Why would a boat with a proven factory built commercial grade engine be harder to sell than the same boat with a farm implement marinization?

Fuel burn for trawler speeds is similar , and the service life is at least 300% higher , tho most marine motorists cant wear out the tractor engine.

Come on FF
smile.gif

45,000 hours out of a Detroit?

KJ wrote:

I was cruising YW today (get it) and noticed that there appears to have been some serious downward repricing of boats in the 40' range.* There also seems to a hecka lot more boats on the market now than there was even a*couple of months ago.**
**********It appears to be a great time for buyers.* What I have noticed is the boats that traditionally were owned by people who could afford to hold them thru bad times, are now being offered for sale. It is a painless way for people to maintain their standard of living, if boating is only a small piece of the pie.

**********So as long as you don't tend toward buyers remorse it makes sense, if it bothers you the flat screen you just bought last week is now on sale than you might want to keep monitoring YW.*** JohnP

Baker wrote:

The boats right now that are hard to sell and maybe a bargain for somebody are the 40 something boats powered with Detroits(read mid 1980s vintage or older). You really can't give those things away.
I think there are several reasons.* One is you can not get financing on some of the older boats once they get 20 years old or so so that means 1990 models.* Also you may find it hard to get insurance on these boats as well.* Which intern affects the financing.

So the only way to shed them is to price them to the cash buyer, which is limited in this market.*

KJ wrote:

Some of that is the time of year.* Getting them ready for the spring market.*If the is gong to be one.

45,000 hours out of a Detroit?

NO , but in prime genset use many go 20,000 (and a few 30,000) before needing a $900 kit.

Ford--Econ o power claims big numbers at times , but for tiny power for one engine .

Visit the Gulf , and talk to the guys on the rigs , some will have tales of YEARS of operation .

Our Detroit 8v71 gensets run 24/7. We usually do a "preventive overhaul" at 40,000 hrs. Last time we did it prior to transatlantic tandem tow 2 years ago. Port had 44,000 hrs and Stbd 40,000Plus.

Sailor of Fortune wrote:

Our Detroit 8v71 gensets run 24/7. We usually do a "preventive overhaul" at 40,000 hrs. Last time we did it prior to transatlantic tandem tow 2 years ago. Port had 44,000 hrs and Stbd 40,000Plus.
Jack, Your Avitar is a tease the girls are to small to see
biggrin.gif

SD

My Hatteras 58' is getting closer to my grasp every day!

Skipperdude
I would have made the pictures larger except I want you to keep your attention on the posts and not my new crew! Notice the spiffy uniforms.
They are so well behaved, they don't even care if I use a Rocna or a Sarca!

-- Edited by Sailor of Fortune on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 05:48:22 PM

Sailor of Fortune wrote:

Skipperdude
I would have made the pictures larger except I want you to keep your attention on the posts and not my new crew! Notice the spiffy uniforms.
They are so well behaved, they don't even care if I use a Rocna or a Sarca!

-- Edited by Sailor of Fortune on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 05:48:22 PM
So, Jack, does all your crew wear orange hot pants?
smile.gif

They look like Hooters girls. Try getting THEM to haul your anchor!

Jack,
DANG. My mouse ran my curser right over to your avitar and clicked on it. I looked at only one boat that has a Detroit (4-53) and it's the only one I'm still sorta looking at.
What's the story on the new avatar? Dang Jack those girls are just too small.

Tug Tied Up in Norfolk, Va in near da hooters! Never pass up a good photo op Eric.
Don't insult the Hooters girls by saying they are to small!* After all, they ARE hooters
girls! They don't hire them because of their grade point average.

-- Edited by Sailor of Fortune on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 04:12:03 AM

"Our Detroit 8v71 gensets run 24/7".

This is Nirivana for any brand engine.

No sitting and rusting the cylinder walls , no poor only 5 years old fuel , almost constant temperatures.Professional Maint!

Any proper loaded and well maintained engine will run HUGE numbers in this condition.

Its the used 4X a year power boat engines that get no PM that die early .

Back
Top Bottom