Mainship 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mystic144

Is there any truth to the fact that the AC units are undersized on these boats?
Love to get some feed back this boat is on my short list.
Rene
Mystic

Are you asking about the trawler from more recent years, or the cruiser style before that? (We have a Mainship 37, 1996, pre-trawler, and the two 16,000 BTU units are maybe oversized, chills the boat like a refrigerator on a hot summer day, for what that's worth.)

Whether the A/C keeps the boat cool or not is entirely based on where you are and how you use the boat. If you are in Mystic, Ct I suspect you will be fine with almost any A/C system.

We keep our boat in Essex, Ct and have never run the A/C for cooling, but once for heat at night.

David

Is there any truth to the fact that the AC units are undersized on these boats?
Love to get some feed back this boat is on my short list.
Rene
Mystic

I'm not sure about this size but I read about an issue w the saloon AC duct not connected to the horizontal plenum on the MS 34Ts.

I confirmed and fixed the condition on my 34HT.
If anyone needs details let me know and I'll post them.
Symptoms were poor air flow from the plenum resulting in poor cooling.

Are you asking about the trawler from more recent years, or the cruiser style before that? (We have a Mainship 37, 1996, pre-trawler, and the two 16,000 BTU units are maybe oversized, chills the boat like a refrigerator on a hot summer day, for what that's worth.)

There is also the Mainship 40 Pilothouse from the 80s(70s???)

There is also the Mainship 40 Pilothouse from the 80s(70s???)

Ah, that's right too, thank you. Forgot about those (and I've been on one while boat shopping, should have remembered).

On our 2005 400T, in Florida and the Bahamas, it will bring the boat down to about 15 to 18 degrees cooler than the outside temp. Might occasionally be just a little warm on a super hot, bright sunny day but most of the time it is fine. I don't think it is a size thing, I think the main salon could use another vent since there is only one. Master cabin is cold enough at night to need a blanket. Guest cabin is a little warmer.

Ah, that's right too, thank you. Forgot about those (and I've been on one while boat shopping, should have remembered).

Yep, we've got one. '81.

2 ac units. 12k and 16k. Seems more than adequate for those hot n humid days on the chesapeake

Light colored sunscreens and curtains all the way around make a huge difference. We have a Webasto 16K for master and main salon and a 5K for Vee and galley down. We also use several small fans to assist with air movement. Works well for heat and cool. I do try to get rid of some engine heat after running just to make it a bit easier.

Back
Top Bottom