Required Decal-DTOPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...But a Nexus pass would certainly be convenient as we drive into Canada more often than we boat or fly into it. But it requires an in-person interview and these so far have been very inconvenient to set up so we keep putting it off.

Thanks Marin, you cleared up a lot!

Still, I'm not sure I fully understand. I'm a US citizen going to Canada and back by boat next year. I'll be stopping at a CA POE anyway, so checking in is no problem.

I'd really like to avoid having to visit a US POE in person on the way back if at all possible.

It sounds like I need the DTOPS sticker for the boat, which I can order on line. I'll do that.

For crew (just the 2 of us), is NEXUS the next step? Do we have to go to Canada for a face-to-face? Is it worth it if I don't cross regularly? I already get TSA Pre-Check, not even sure why.

Finally, what about the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS)? Should we apply for that too?

For crew (just the 2 of us), is NEXUS the next step? Do we have to go to Canada for a face-to-face? Is it worth it if I don't cross regularly? I already get TSA Pre-Check, not even sure why.

Easy enough to do Nexus interview in Blaine. Both US and Canada officers are at same location. It is a very nice facility and easy to find. One long wait at the border will more than cover the Nexus interview time.

Finally, what about the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS)? Should we apply for that too?

Unlike NEXUS the SVRS is ONLY for re-entry to the U.S. Nexus is both Canada and U.S. We have applied for NEXUS cards. The interview most likely is several months away. The reason we are getting the NEXUS is the ability to just call in, thus saving fuel and time.

Here is the SVRS web link:

https://svrs.cbp.dhs.gov/Default.aspx

I'd really like to avoid having to visit a US POE in person on the way back if at all possible.

To my knowledge there are only two POEs in the San Juans during the summer/early fall, Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor. We used to be able to clear at Bellingham but I don't believe that has been possible for many years. I don't know about Anacortes.

It sounds like I need the DTOPS sticker for the boat, which I can order on line. I'll do that.
Yes, legally you'll need one. If you clear into the US by phone I think--- but I'm not positive-- that you will always be asked to provide the number of the customs decal on your boat.

For crew (just the 2 of us), is NEXUS the next step? Do we have to go to Canada for a face-to-face?
If you want to clear back into the US by phone you will need a Nexus pass for each person on the boat. The pass requires an in-person interview but you don't have to go to Canada to do it. You can make an appointment in Seattle, for example, for the interview.

However...... I have heard horror stories of how long the wait time can be before you can get an appointment in Seattle. It seems to be much faster to make an appointment for the Blaine border crossing and do the interview there. However I don't believe it's a walk-in situation. You still need to make an appointment.

Is it worth it if I don't cross regularly?
That depends on your situation. For us a stop at Roche Harbor on the way back into the US has so far never been much of an inconvenience. We usually clear the day before we want to be back in Bellingham and spend the night after clearing at some nearby spot in the islands: Parks Bay or Indian Cove if we want to anchor or West Sound if we want a harbor.

However if we were heading home from someplace on the eastern side of the Gulf Islands then it would require a long slog to the southwest to get to Roche Harbor. So in that situation clearing by phone with a Nexus pass would be much more convenient for us. We used to do this with the old Canpass/PIN system, heading straight home from places like Cabbage Cove, Montague, etc.

However in recent years we've always had guests on board for our Gulf Islands trips, either from here or from Europe, and they've never had Nexus passes. So we would have had to clear at a POE no matter what. So we've simply planned our itinerary to be heading back into US waters more from the west: Sidney Spit, Port Browning, Genoa Bay, South Pender Island, etc. So going to Roche doesn't require a side trip and a long backtrack.

Finally, what about the Small Vessel Reporting System (SVRS)?

I know absolutely nothing about that program, I'm afraid.:)

Last edited:
There is also the I-68 program for returning to US. It is only for returning to US on a boat. It allows a call in for entry clearance. It is a yearly thing, cost is less than 20 bucks a year and is quick and easy to get.

We applied for a SVRS number on line. There is a list of interview sites, we chose the customs office adjacent to the Portland ME airport. Took an hour and we left with a SVRS number for both my wife and I. System worked 4.0 when we cleared back in to Fort Pierce from the Bahamas last March, only glitch was customs wouldn't let you clear until you were docked in case they wanted to inspect. When we cleared into Canada in July '14, we simply called the 800 CANPASS number and it was handled on.the phone. So no face to faces in either direction.
Roger

There is also the I-68 program for returning to US.

That's the form I was trying to think of in an earlier post. We had them for awhile years ago but they've long since expired and so far we've had no motivation to get them again.

We're actually much more interested in clearing into Canada at a non-POE destination by phone rather than clearing back into the US by phone. So for us a Nexus pass is the way to go if we every bother to follow through with it. We've filled out the application forms but so far after about four years they continue to sit on my desk at home.:)

You actually have an option in addition to the NEXUS pass. It is called an I-68. It is a yearly document the performs the same function as the NEXUS "on the water". I have a NEXUS and Jill does the form. It is processed at the CBP office next to the Bellingham Airport.

You actually have an option in addition to the NEXUS pass. It is called an I-68. It is a yearly document the performs the same function as the NEXUS "on the water".

I don't believe the I-68 is good for going into Canada, only for returning to the US.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom