Mini-Loop listings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about the Alaskan mini loop

Seward AK, -> Whittier, AK 120 miles
Whittier AK -> Valdez AK 80 miles
Valdez AK -> Cordova AK 60 miles
Cordova AK -> Seward AK 140 miles

All mileages are approx

This is scenic wilderness cruising at its best.

You will see Whales, Sea Lions, Killer Whales, Sea otters, eagles, puffins, bears.

You will probably not have to share an anchorage with anybody unless you choose to do so.

If you are into fishing you can easily catch shrimp, salmon, many species of rock fish, clams, halibut, ling cod. In season you can go deer or bear hunting. our limit for deer is generally 6 per person.

Last edited:
Newport, Nantucket, P-town and New Bedford! Who'd have thunk it, huh? New Bedford makes my list because I had some major work done on my boat in New Bedford one winter season. I soon learned what a great boating/fishing community it is. If I remember correctly, there are many moorings available both on the inner and outer harbor (stay inside for sure). As you will find in most of New England, nothing is cheap.

There are a few museums that I found interesting. A military museum right on the water and of course the Whaling Museum was very worthwhile. Mary's Portuguese Bakery on Main Street is reason enough to go to New Bedford in itself! And many great restaurants.

And if you need anything at all done on your boat, from shafts to props to engine work, to cabinetry and glassing, there are many skilled craftsmen and businesses available. Again, no bargains here but they know how to get things done.

How about the Alaskan mini loop

Seward AK, -> Whittier, AK 120 miles
Whittier AK -> Valdez AK 80 miles
Valdez AK -> Cordova AK 60 miles
Cordova AK -> Seward AK 140 miles

All mileages are approx

This is scenic wilderness cruising at its best.

You will see Whales, Sea Lions, Killer Whales, Sea otters, eagles, puffins, bears.

You will probably not have to share an anchorage with anybody unless you choose to do so.

If you are into fishing you can easily catch shrimp, salmon, many species of rock fish, clams, halibut, ling cod. In season you can go deer or bear hunting. our limit for deer is generally 6 per person.

Or the Alaskan loop. Up inside, return outside. For us from Port Angeles and back to Port Angeles was 4,210 nm.

And you're correct in very little sharing of anything in the Valdez, Seward, Kodiak areas. Once past Juneau the traffic thins out considerably, not that it was heavy even south of there.

Not exactly a small loop but certainly a great one. Like so many places one goes, we thought it would probably be our one trip to Alaska. Now, we know...it may be years, but definitely will be going back one day and probably spending much more time next time. Four months instead of two I'd think.

Thinking about doing the Delmarva loop this summer starting from Philadelphia and following Psneeds course
John

Back
Top Bottom