Onan 8KW Annual Maint and More

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
here I was thinking it was a simple oil change. I started to look at things. The injector pump was leaking, the intake sound box had a hole, Temp gage inop, need to change the raw water impeller.........$600 in parts later, I await. $12 for these little "O rings" in the injector pump. You have to order 4 when you only need 3 cause you will drop one in the bilge!!!

I did discover I did not have to go through Cummins to get parts. I found this website. Prices seem reasonable.

Lawn Mower Parts | Small Engine Parts - Jacks Small Engines

Attachments

• DSCN0499.jpg
    DSCN0499.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCN0500.jpg
    DSCN0500.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 131
Kubota D950 delivery valve holder o-rings. Common leak, easy to replace, cheap rings available from any injection shop.

No need to replace the lift pump with an Onan either, I used an aftermarket. Your lift pump will fail.

Not replacing any pump, just the o rings....and all of it is OEM Onan/Cummins parts

Last edited:
I just tried to add some useful info, my Onan is now on its (at least) third pump. I changed this one out to an aftermarket pump, less money than Onan. Just some info to store away for when yours bakes.

Good point. Don't need it to fail while up in the Canadian wilderness

I picked up a spare start/stop solenoid for my MDKD on Ebay, at about one 6th the price of the Cummins supplied one. Yes, made in China, but so is the one Cummins supply in a box emblazoned "Genuine Cummins Parts". At that price, worth having.

Just curious, Alaskan Sea-Duction, how old is your Onan and the hours on it??

1988 and has about 1400hrs.....

It runs good and I am just doing my annual preventive maintenance....Still have the aircraft mechanic in me I guess.

Thanks, my 9KW Onan is a 2004 and has about 350 hrs. Guess I still have time before I worry about leaking injection pumps.

Back
Top Bottom