Ipad useful? not useful?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Admiral is sitting here planning out a 7 day trip from Longboat to Naples with the Ipad Air and the cruising guide book. The Blue Charts and the Active Captain data make it a snap.

Have yet to put it into operation but just purchased a Toshiba 15.6" laptop with Windows 10 that folds into a tablet.

We have a 10 inch netbook on a GPS puck running OpenCPN (no internet) as our main nav computer and a small Garmin GPSMAP 276C. I also have a Samsung Note 8 that serves multiple purposes at the lower helm.

1. Navionics for marine charting
2. Marinetraffic and Boat Beacon for pseudo-AIS
3. Full internet access through cellular data (email, news, info search)
4. Internet Hotspot
5. Music via aux jack to stereo using Pandora, Prime Music or other music sources

The Note 8 has internal GPS so no other GPS antenna is needed. I use the tablet for so many functions that it is now considered essential equipment on my helm.

"Have yet to put it into operation but just purchased a Toshiba 15.6" laptop with Windows 10 that folds into a tablet."
What I use, less the foldover option. I got the wide screen so that I can get the biggest display of my chart possible. As I am in Canadian waters, I use CHS charts in CAPN nav software. Flawless.

Personally I found the latest Navionics+ app the best. Check out the new features:

Navionics Boating (US) | Navionics

Most notable: real-time position tracking, auto routing (very cool feature), download latest charts anytime (they update fresh charts daily!), geo-tagged photos and posting with chart, wind forecasts, sonar static bathemetry line overlay (real time bathemetry when connected to sonar via Wifi) Arguably the best cartography (chart detail, recency and accuracy) imo.

I have no affiliation. I find my myself using iPad for navigation more now then looking my garmin 3 year old chart plotter. Each iApp update gets better each time.

Looking at navigtion and in general electronic information systems for lower helm in 36 ft gulfstar. Presently have radar, and multifunction display in flybridge. lower helm nothing. I like to use active captain but it is only on my lap top and not easily accessable when making way. Weather is another issue. Use predict wind to make float plan decissions. Would love realtime weather reports in area like pireps for aviators. In any case I am thinking of bringing on board an Ipad. how do others use the ipad and has it been a help.

Ken

Extremely useful! Check this one out. The latest updated features are amazing.

Navionics Boating (US) | Navionics

We have a raymarine c80 plotter w navionics Gold, an IPad with Garmin Blue Charts and Navionics, and Compass rose point on a PC. The Ipad is right next to our C80, harder to see but I think more accurate at least in the Bahamas. Definitely get an IPad with the internal GPS. You don't need to activate the cellular to have it work. The IPad is our go to tool to plant trips, as well

We have a 10 inch netbook on a GPS puck running OpenCPN (no internet) as our main nav computer and a small Garmin GPSMAP 276C. I also have a Samsung Note 8 that serves multiple purposes at the lower helm.

1. Navionics for marine charting
2. Marinetraffic and Boat Beacon for pseudo-AIS
3. Full internet access through cellular data (email, news, info search)
4. Internet Hotspot
5. Music via aux jack to stereo using Pandora, Prime Music or other music sources

The Note 8 has internal GPS so no other GPS antenna is needed. I use the tablet for so many functions that it is now considered essential equipment on my helm.

I'm overloaded with this volume of input. I get by without harm just using the one electronic display.

iPad aboard

iPad aboard is very useful and handily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 92
iPad stand

Apple Bluetooth external keyboard
This is very convenient aboard as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 70
"Apple Bluetooth external keyboard
This is very convenient aboard as well."

That looks great , does it have a built in GPS (dont need a phone) and can I record E books like my old Nook?

Will it download charts from on line?

That looks great , does it have a built in GPS (dont need a phone) and can I record E books like my old Nook?

Will it download charts from on line?

You have to buy the iPad with cellular capability to get GPS. I think that is what you are calling a phone. The iPad cellular capability is for data only and not a phone. You don't have to sign up for the data service but you do have to buy the cellular iPad to get GPS. Most providers will provide limited data service for $10-15/month where if you exceed the default number of megabytes or gigabytes, you have to buy more. We piggy back ours on our cell phone plan to have a shared data plan for $10/month plus a few obnoxious fees for each iPad (we have 2).

You can get ebooks thru Apple's iBook app or you can download the Kindle app and read Amazon ebooks.

Yes, it will download charts. If you have the cellular model, all you need is cellular (phone) tower connectivity. But it is much smarter to download the charts when yo have a good wifi connection.

Last edited:
Donsan, well said, thank you.

I'm using Navionics app and charts. what Wifi or LTE 4G are fine to download.
So far, I'm not using both of my GARMIN chart plotters anymore, IPad Cellular with built in GPS is so easy to use.

All best,

You have to buy the iPad with cellular capability to get GPS.
My iPad does not have cellular capability, only wifi, but I plan to pre-load chart data to either the Navionics or BlueChart apps (or both). Practical Sailor reviewed the Bad Elf GPS Pro device for use with wifi only iPads back in January of 2014. The conclusion from that review was "For those looking to add GPS functionality to a WiFi-only Apple device or simply increase the accuracy of any Bluetooth device, the GPS Pro is a well thought-out unit that combines wireless convenience with improved GPS accuracy." It has since been updated with bluetooth as a GPS Pro+ model. They are not inexpensive, but should allow for GPS data to be used. Perhaps this or another similar add-on GPS device would work acceptably for the iPad charting apps. If cellular capability is needed on the iPad, it could always be tethered to iPhone wifi (personal hotspot in settings) or the wifi of a cellular hotspot. Since I have both AT&T iPhone and Verizon 6620 hotspot, that might work for me, though likely not as accurate as a dedicated GPS device.

Last edited:
TimButterflied,

My iPad is cellular but I still have my former iPad 2 with no cellular. I bought the Bad Elf GPS device 3 years ago to use with my iPad 2 what works so perfect. I still keep it and my iPad 2 aboard just in case.

About GPS accuracy, there is no difference between my Ipad cellular, and my iPad 2 no cellular with the Bad Elf GPS connected, both works perfectly the same with Navionics charts.

The Bad Elf GPS device works fine with Tomtom app (car navigation) as well, on my no cellular iPad 2.

All best

Oliver,
Thanks for the info. Good to know. I see Bad Elf also makes a Lightning connector version of the GPS at a lower cost than the wifi/bluetooth radio versions. Of course, that may not have the 1 meter accuracy of the Bluetooth GNSS version, but 2.5 meters is probably sufficient given the cost difference. The Bluetooth Pro+ is 2.5 meter accuracy also, but can support up to five devices simultaneously. That might be useful if another person brings their iPad along also. It's nice to have choices.

Paying Apple for the bundled 4G GPS configuration is senseless if you don't need 4G capability.

Apple marketing/control at its worst.

Bluetooth or tethered GPS is the way to go.

Bluetooth or tethered GPS is the way to go.

Sorry but I disagree with that.

Certainly the acquisition cost is less but why bother with 2 devices requiring two separate powering requirements and then having to interface them? There is a certain elegance and simplicity in having everything built into a single device. As FF is always saying, KISS.

But we need the 4G and we use our iPads for much more than just boating.

KISS works both ways, less devices or simpler device. Since I need/want a phone anyway, I did not feel my iPad needed that same capability. I certainly don't want to read books on my iPhone. The iPad is much better suited. I want cellular data on my iPad, but am already paying once for that on my iPhone if I'm only willing to connect the wifi. For me, though, I add yet another device. If cellular data access is important, having a hotspot for another carrier can fill in coverage gaps. I have found that very useful living/working full-time in an RV. I can use an iOS app like Coverage to guess I might have signal. But, often, that signal is insufficient and use of the other carrier is needed to get sufficient speed. Having connectivity of my iPad to multi-carrier cellular data lessened the value of the iPad itself having cellular data. We each have our own pros/cons list for the choices we make and they often differ.

TimButterfield,

You are welcome ! Sorry I forgot to say my Bad Elf GPS device is the iPad / iPhone connector model, not the wifi / Bluetooth one.

From my opinion, I would not trust a GPS device what would be connected to iPad through wifi or Bluetooth for the reason the wireless connection between iPad and GPS may be (perhaps) lost when the iPad would turn in sleeping mode. I love wireless devices, but sometimes a good "plug in" would be better for security reasons.

On the other hand, you are right about about the Bluetooth Pro +, many devices connected simultaneously could be very convenient.

By the way, the Bad Elf GPS device works fine as well with iPhone 5.

iPhones 6 and 6 + have a real built in GPS module like iPad cellular has, so they don't need any extra GPS devices.

Hopefully my English was good enough for you all to understand what I meant. :)

All best,

Oliver,
Thanks for clarifying. I understood you just fine. I don't think I've ever had my iPad go to sleep. I don't think I need the Pro+ version as the (barometric sensor) altitude isn't likely to change. I'm debating between the Pro and connected versions. I'll probably end up going Pro, but leave both the GPS and iPad charging all of the time.

Do it!!! iPad = + 1!
You will not regret it. Useful for so many things onboard,,,, infact, deserves another thread, all on it's own. ,,,thinking it's probably be done before though,,,
Anyway, if you have a boat, an iPad will enhance your experience. : )

Apple has about a 60% profit on I pads.

Is none of the competition at 1/2 the price as good?

I generally prefer Android devices because of Apple's business model (do things the Steve Jobs way, whether you like it or not). That business model builds in some extra costs in software... and then I also prefer not having to pay extra for an on-board GPS capability (or have to use an external GPS device) simply because of the way Apple chose to integrate that with their cellular capabilities.

Haven't yet come across anything we can't do as well as/as easily as folks using iThings.

-Chris

How much profit Apple has in an iPad shouldn't weigh on your decision making. If it provides the functionality you need at an affordable price, that should be your criteria.

By most accounts, the Samsung Galaxy Tab, at least from a hardware standpoint, is as good or better than the iPad in most areas. Indeed, Samsung makes some of the Apple hardware with Apple design.

The difference is the integration and support. Apple designs and integrates hardware and software and they have a huge "ecosystem". Samsung uses the Android operating system which is a product of Google but put in the public domain so to speak. The result has been somewhat inconsistent when it comes to issues like updates and security patches. Also, Apple integrates the iPad to work rather seamlessly with other Apple products.

Other than Samsung, there isn't much other viable competition.

Nothing wrong with getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab. Just don't expect your friends and neighbors to have them. Most will have iPads. That is the advantage Apple has on being first to market with a very well thought out and functional device. The other contenders are copycats.

If you go with the Samsung, be sure it has built in GPS/GLONASS.

We just finished a 1700 mile trip on rivers, intercoastal and open seas with our Iphones and a hand held GPS. Looking to upgrade to Ipad. With Navonics on both phones we had zero problems. Screens were small but easily expandable. The older electronics on the boat were totally unreliable, so the phones were pressed into service and worked extremely well.

I have tried the competition and it is not as good. Another thing is Apple knows what works. The reason they require cell models to have GPS is that a GPS receiver alone cannot penetrate the metal housing. If the iPad was plastic, like many competitors, it might work. Apple chose the elegance and strength of metal. I used to be Android only and I bought the ASUS transformer tablet. A very excellent tablet....on paper. It had a metal housing. It had GPS included in its non cellular model. It was HORRIBLE!!! Samsung tabs, last I tested, are plastic. They may be metal now...I do not know.

With all of that said, like what was touched upon above, Android is a general footprint of software. Companies like Samsung have to taylor the software to fit their hardware...and then the put a proprietary "overlay" on top of the general software(Touchwiz in Samsung's case) to make it prettier and more user friendly. There is a lot of interface issues and a lot of things that can go wrong with all of that...and guess what, it does go wrong. To this day, Android still remains glitchy. Yes it works. But not nearly as well as iOS. Apple makes one its own devices and its own software made specifically for its devices. THAT is the reason iPad works so well, The competitors boast about their RAM and their processor speed. Apple does not publish it and pretty much tries to keep it secret. Why? Because their devices don't need all the power to overcome imperfections and flaws. A good analogy would be a 450hp and a 650hp Mercedes. The Vette comes in at almost 2000 pounds lighter than the flame breathing sedan. And the vette will destroy it on a track because it does not have to deal with all of that extra weight the Merc is saddled with. So the vette is LESS powerful.... but faster. The Merc can boast all day about it having 200 more horsepower. But the vette wins.

PS....every single major Airline that uses tablets to supplement charts and manuals uses the iPad. It is more stable. Battery power is alway better on iPad because of what I said above. I personally think it is easier to view in direct sunlight...although none are made specifically for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom