VCR replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Used to be if one wanted to time shift and watch TV that was on after bed time , one plugged in a VCR and it was a snap.

Today it seems far more complex .

Any suggestions for a simple NO FEE method of time shifting HD TV?

WOW , thanks ,,lots to read , but one question is can I record to the old VCR and accept a crappier picture or is it the analog digital hassle?

Starting the research one hassle is we have Direct TV from the sat in FL and cable from Comcast in the summer.

The sat would go down for days after a rain storm looking thru big trees.

Great info ,

When the sat goes down simply watch from the website if you still have internet. Caveat emptor, we haven't subscribed to pay tv for over a decade as we seldom watch it. Your mileage may vary.

FF,

I don't know whether you have a subscription TV service at home, but if you do, then that is where to start. For example, I have DISH Network on the boat when I am in the harbor. The receiver I use allows me to connect a USB hard drive and make it into a DVR. While tied to the dock we record a lot of content and while at anchor we can watch that from the hard drive. DVR's as a category of devices are far simpler than the old VCR's and I've never seen one flash 12:00.

Tom

WOW , thanks ,,lots to read , but one question is can I record to the old VCR and accept a crappier picture or is it the analog digital hassle?

Starting the research one hassle is we have Direct TV from the sat in FL and cable from Comcast in the summer.

The sat would go down for days after a rain storm looking thru big trees.

Great info ,

You can only record to the VCR if it has a digital receiver or if you connect it to the output of a digital TV set. Or you can buy an adapter to convert the digital signal to an analog VCR. The problem with this setup is that you cannot record from different channels on the VCR because the adapter (or the output from the digital TV) will not be able to change channels automatically.

Only if the VCR has a digital tuner will you be able to go away or to sleep and record a program on channel 4 and later a program on channel 5.

You can only record to the VCR if it has a digital receiver or if you connect it to the output of a digital TV set. Or you can buy an adapter to convert the digital signal to an analog VCR. The problem with this setup is that you cannot record from different channels on the VCR because the adapter (or the output from the digital TV) will not be able to change channels automatically.

Only if the VCR has a digital tuner will you be able to go away or to sleep and record a program on channel 4 and later a program on channel 5.

This is the crux of the issue - AFAIK no one sends unencrypted signals over coax anymore - like those that you would plug into the back of a VCR. Everything is going to go through a cable box/Sat Receiver that has to be manually tuned or tuned via an IR blaster hooked up to your VCR which is often more trouble than its worth. You could certainly hook up your VCR to the analog outputs on your cable box and sat receiver (I thing most of them still have RCA plugs on the back (Red/White/Yellow) but you would most likely end up having to manually tune the cable box/receiver and leaving it on the channel you want to record from each time.

My recommendations would be (1) Consider the DVR - Yeah it is going to get you for an extra 5.00 a months (likely x2 since you have Sat and Cable) but it might be worth the convenience.

In my post I was thinking more along the lines of over the air TV, not cable or satellite. If you have typical cable or satellite TV you might as well bite the bullet and pay the extra charge for recording ability.

Some marinas are able to provide cable TV without each boat having a cable box so it's still being done. You probably can't get it as an individual though.

In my post I was thinking more along the lines of over the air TV, not cable or satellite. If you have typical cable or satellite TV you might as well bite the bullet and pay the extra charge for recording ability.

Some marinas are able to provide cable TV without each boat having a cable box so it's still being done. You probably can't get it as an individual though.

Ahh-My apologies - in that case perhaps one of those standalone DVD Recorders would do the trick the ones I have seen are 1080p so presumably they would have built in digital tuners.

I didn't know folks were still using VCRs! Beta or VHS?

We went DVR many years ago and never looked back. With Comcast/Xfinity, we can record a program or just watch on demand when we want. We often record b/c we're used to it, but it really isn't needed in today's world of on demand programming.

We don't have on demand programming on our boat. Just what we get and when we get it. With an antenna.

Thanks folks , still reading and digesting.

Back
Top Bottom