My Short Haul Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did the stabilizer help?

Spectacular sunset shot!

I never thought to turn them on. But since I don't have any, it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway. :rolleyes:

Thanks, looking forward to many more sunsets on the boat.

Ted

Couple of updates:

Have always had a port list with the boat do to the galley and second stateroom being on the port side. In addition, one 50 gallon water tank and the 80 gallon holding tank are also on the port side. While one can ballast with fuel to offset the list, depending on fluid loads, it doesn't all go away. Thanks to a buddy who processes scrap coming out of Cape Canaveral and the shuttle program, I was able to procure some mil-spec lead counter weight plates. Each is about 10" x 11" x 1"; weighs 35 pounds, and comes with a serial number and recertification of actual weight. Government waste at it's finest. :nonono: Mounted 13 of them on the inside of the hull behind the built in furniture and cabinets. Happy to report that most of the list is gone and probably only need 6 more plates to be level. I appreciate you all contributing your tax dollars to these mil-spec weights.

DSCN1749.jpg

You know your getting old when you see nothing wrong with using a dinghy crane to launch and recover your kayak as opposed to man handling it on to the boat. :blush:

DSCN1743.jpg

Ted

This refit has been top notch all the way . Now even with adding the lead plates for ballast. Thanks for posting this refit . It has motivated me to spend more time thinking projects through instead of just jumping in feet first .Nice work Ted . Now go enjoy a great boat .

O C Diver said:
You know your getting old when you see nothing wrong with using a dinghy crane to launch and recover your kayak.
Don't be too hard on yourself, lad. You won't be old until you use the dinghy crane to board the kayak.

Attachments

• Boarding.jpg
    Boarding.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 148
Ted,

One thing I noticed was the zip ties were clipped with dikes which leave sharp edges... If you'll use big toe nail clippers, it will trim them flush with no sharp edges. Those sharp edges can cut a hose or strip insulation, or skin...

Once I had our crew at Scientific Atlanta switch to toe nail clippers, our re-work volume dropped due to cut / marked insulation on wiring racks, not to mention skinned knuckles.

Are you going to be around trawlerfest in Riviera Beach? I'd love a chance to see your masterpiece.

Ted,
Are you going to be around trawlerfest in Riviera Beach? I'd love a chance to see your masterpiece.

Ted is much too gracious of a person to contribute such a provocative, embarrassing element (his boat) to Trawler Fest. Just imagine the humiliation experienced by new boat dealers when Ted's refit puts them to shame.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
You know your getting old when you see nothing wrong with using a dinghy crane to launch and recover your kayak as opposed to man handling it on to the boat

That is not old it is being intelligent enough to use the tools at your disposal to their greatest advantage!:rofl:

Great thread - many thanks for sharing your journey

John

I really want to thank you for sharing your project over the last months. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching and reading as your dream took shape.

You have given us the vicarious pleasure of watching a monumental project come to fruition. And not once did we have to pull out a big wad of boat bucks. Not once were we really tormented over project delays and frustrations. Although we felt your anguish at times. Nor did any of us wake up in the middle of the night wondering if the whole project would grind to a halt and end up with a heap of fiberglass, buckets of used paint, scraps of wire and rust.

Who knows? Maybe your success may even tempt some of us to consider such a project for ourselves. Not that most of us have anywhere near your skill, vision and where-with-all (nor your support team in Sean), but the results you have achieved must provide you with a near life-changing satisfaction. You should be very proud.

Glad we could contribute to the refit. :rofl: And a great way of adding weight.

Thank you for your very generous contribution!

Yeah! Boat rides for everyone!!!!!!:dance:

Yes, but tomorrow only. Hoping to catch up with you in February.

Don't be too hard on yourself, lad. You won't be old until you use the dinghy crane to board the kayak.

I think I'll call it quits before I reach that point. ;)

Ted,

One thing I noticed was the zip ties were clipped with dikes which leave sharp edges... If you'll use big toe nail clippers, it will trim them flush with no sharp edges. Those sharp edges can cut a hose or strip insulation, or skin...

Once I had our crew at Scientific Atlanta switch to toe nail clippers, our re-work volume dropped due to cut / marked insulation on wiring racks, not to mention skinned knuckles.

First, let me be perfectly clear, those zip ties weren't installed by me! I cinch then cut the tails flush with a utility knife. Have another day of work in that area refastening the drain pipe, pulling some orphan wires, and then retie wrapping. It will be neat when I'm done.

Won't be making Riviera Beach but hope to have the boat at the geezer rally in February.

Ted is much too gracious of a person to contribute such a provocative, embarrassing element (his boat) to Trawler Fest. Just imagine the humiliation experienced by new boat dealers when Ted's refit puts them to shame.:)

:lol:

You know your getting old when you see nothing wrong with using a dinghy crane to launch and recover your kayak as opposed to man handling it on to the boat

That is not old it is being intelligent enough to use the tools at your disposal to their greatest advantage!:rofl:

Great thread - many thanks for sharing your journey

John

Glad you enjoyed my Odyssey. Not to be repeated. :nonono:

I really want to thank you for sharing your project over the last months. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching and reading as your dream took shape.

You have given us the vicarious pleasure of watching a monumental project come to fruition. And not once did we have to pull out a big wad of boat bucks. Not once were we really tormented over project delays and frustrations. Although we felt your anguish at times. Nor did any of us wake up in the middle of the night wondering if the whole project would grind to a halt and end up with a heap of fiberglass, buckets of used paint, scraps of wire and rust.

Who knows? Maybe your success may even tempt some of us to consider such a project for ourselves. Not that most of us have anywhere near your skill, vision and where-with-all (nor your support team in Sean), but the results you have achieved must provide you with a near life-changing satisfaction. You should be very proud.

Thank you! It's been a very satisfying experience. Glad you enjoyed the process. Highly recommend the experience for those who want their boat their way.

Ted

Ted: congratulations—magnificent work and I have copied many post addresses into an Evernote file for my forthcoming refit. A ton of ideas new to me here, and flat out excellent work. Apart from wanting to thank you, joining this thread to see the outcome of the prop. change.

Ted, congrats on what appears to be a massively successful project. Boat looks phenomenal. I hadn't seen this thread until just now and I feel like I just binge watched a series on Netflix or something! Super impressive!

Ted: congratulations—magnificent work and I have copied many post addresses into an Evernote file for my forthcoming refit. A ton of ideas new to me here, and flat out excellent work. Apart from wanting to thank you, joining this thread to see the outcome of the prop. change.

Ted, congrats on what appears to be a massively successful project. Boat looks phenomenal. I hadn't seen this thread until just now and I feel like I just binge watched a series on Netflix or something! Super impressive!
Glad you both enjoyed the thread. It was a very rewarding project; still very happy with the boat.

Ted

Heretic !!

Jesus I read all your tread and I can say : we are , at less , two heretic with teak on this forum:eek::hide:

Attachments

• IMG_20190331_180131.jpg
    IMG_20190331_180131.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20190330_172424.jpg
    IMG_20190330_172424.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 82
Jesus I read all your tread and I can say : we are , at less , two heretic with teak on this forum:eek::hide:
I like to keep my teak protected from the ravages of the sun and weather. Inside the boat is a logical choice. ;)

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom