View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #52
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Marin, once again (you must be accustomed to it by now) you are wrong.
The fact that I'm never wrong aside, I'm not talking about what a relatively few RVers do which is seek out out of the way, off the beaten path places like the fishing friends I mentioned earlier. That could be interesting if we were attracted to the RV thing at all, which at this point we aren't as we think we would find it extremely boring compared to the kind of traveling we are used to doing here and abroad.

I'm talking about what the vast majority of RVers do which is travel between RV parks and campgrounds. Hideous environment is the best description I can come up with based on our fortunately few experiences with it. In our observation it is every bit as bad as the stereotype portrays it.

Based on our admittedly limited experience with it it simply is not the kind of crowd we want to be around. We are not social boaters so have little to no interest in interacting with other boaters apart from the small handful of people from here and Europe who we take out on our boat and the folks we like to boat with from our harbor. But at least on a boat there is a barrier--- the water--- that tends to ensure privacy if you want it even if there are other boats nearby. And for the most part, boaters seem to be quite respectful of people's privacy.

Not so in the RV corrals. There is no impediment to people you have zero interest in interacting with coming over and intruding on your privacy. And unfortunately too many of the people who are attracted to the RV thing are the very kind who seem to live to inject themselves into as many people's lives as they can.

Maybe it's an RV thing--- like birders keeping score of how many snowy owls they've seen. Maybe RVers keep score of how many people they've roped into listening to their tales.

Even way back on the Yukon trip I mentioned--- and this was before the Alaska Highway and other roads up there were paved so I shudder to think what it must be like up there now with the access so much easier--- we'd be in a nice provincial campground by the lake we were going to fish and then one or more RV-types would show up, make a huge ruckus getting their rigs leveled, and then crank up the generators and music. And invariably, once they'd gotten all settled in these old coots would stroll down to our campsite and yack our ears off telling us all about their trip and lives and RV features and families and God only knows what.

It seems from the times we've stopped by to visit RVing friends on the road in recent years the situation hasn't changed at all.

That's the great thing about float flying and boating--- the machines make it possible to experience amazing places and see amazing things without the babble of humans in the background. We'd rather have an unpredictable brown bear on the other side of the stream than a typical RVer hell-bent on telling us his life story.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote