View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #45
klee wyck
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Nice prompt from the OP.

When I opened this thread and read the first post I could answer the question in the first second. No chance. If I go over, I am gone.

Klee Wyck is not built to board from the water under any stretch of the imagine. I will think more about this and do have a ladder that is normally stowed but can hang from the gunwale. We use this on occasion when using the kayak. I could hang it at night when anchored.

To this point I have looked at it from the perspective of prevention and this is always forefront in my mind. Despite spending a large part of my life on the water before moving to the Puget Sound, I view my home water now as different. It can be deadly under ideal conditions. Rarely much over 50 degrees and that ominous color that belies that. Even when wearing a wet suit it sucks the breath out of me when I first enter it. Whether on deck, on the dock, in the dinghy, or in the kayak, I am always wary of it. I really like being on water like this, but will do everything in my power to avoid going in on an involuntary and sudden basis. Even with good preparation, I think my odds would be quite low, quite quickly. I do not view that as a reason not to be prepared though. We do wear inflatables a lot of the time and all of the time when conditions are sketchy, but thinking about this in this context, I am not sure if this makes the final outcome better or worse. At 50 degrees, there is a little time, but not that much for a warm blood like me.

Good post.