Wxx3
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
WOW - So you want to make it easy, huh! - LOL

When aboard boat our 6' swim ladder at transom swim step is always available in either the down position or up position where simply a firm tug could bring it down. Knotted pull-uself-up thick knotted line is left in down position. 56 degree water saps energy quickly. Broken wrist is a real determinant for swimming or climbing aboard. Long as I made it to rear of boat, fighting the current with one hand and two feet, I'd find some way to climb back aboard. Some of my success might lie in the body weight carried at that time of life. I try to stay in a very fit 235 lbs... but some years, when no gym work was accomplished for a long time... I've been known to well exceed that number! -

Otherwise... Poppa Arthur, my favorite grand dad - died 1964, hope to see ya soon!

Pretty much my sentiments and setup.

Yes, having the swim platform is an advantage and I have pulled the ladder down while in the water.

Much harder and dangerous in any kind of sea. In my first year of living dangerously, I was in the dingy and came up behind the boat in 4 foot seas.

Never did that again.

If I would fall overboard at anchor, I'd probably spend about a minute thanking my lucky stars that i was not underway in the middle of some ocean

I know the risks. Yes, I really know the risks.

But even in the worst conditions, when the stress makes it seem like I have to go every 10 minutes; I have found it impossible to pee inside.

In fact, I have found that having to go on deck to relieve my bladder has a calming effect on me.

Sitting in a usually dark pilothouse, one's imagination can really run wild. Having to go out on deck, stand there, hold on for dear life, while looking around for the half minute it may take, I have found that I always feel better, mentally.

If it's really bad, in big seas with a lot of rolling, I'll go down two steps to the side deck, though staying on the steps, as the decks are awash under such conditions.

Now, I will give you a tidbit never before divulged: coming up the English Channel this June under the most chaotic seas, >12', short period, 35 knots wind and a minus 2 knot current, we spent 6 hours to get 12 f...ing miles.

I considered peeing on the deck itself; not even venturing to the rail, just opening the pilothouse door and letting go; but I simply couldn't do.

It seemed too disrespectful to Dauntless. She has gotten me so far.

So, if one day, I get to see Poppa Arthur before Art, it is what it is.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote