3/4"hose selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
I'm looking at replacing most all of 3/4" hose on the boat . I would like to keep it all the same if it makes sense .
1.from thru hull to strainer, to pump to electric head .
2.from thru hull to pump to wash down faucet
3. from thru hull to strainer to generator .

Can I go with one brand and style for all of the above ? If so or not what would be best for each application ? I'm on freshwater .

All of the applications you listed for the suction side of the pump the hose needs to be able to withstand vacuum. So use the black, wire reinforced hose.

In one case, like on the pressure side of the pump to the wash down faucet, it is ok to use reinforced clear vinyl hose but not on the others. But wire reinforced hose will work but is more expensive.

David

Head Hunter Banzai Pipeline hose, white reinforced sani hose, Tiger Flex, etc.

Take your pick. Just stay away from your basic nylon webbing reinforced clear vinyl hose. Sometimes known as "red tracer" hose.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with 3/4 white sanitation hose for all those situations. It has a PVC helix instead of wire so fine for suction and no stiletto ends. So does Tigerflex but it is not a "marine listed" hose.
Either is fine for cold water. If low cost if foremost, 3/4" automotive heater hose would work too. Buy a good brand.

Pex is good for plumbing, just not in the sunshine. Hot water too. Shark bite connectors so you can take things apart. No more hose clamps.

Since those are all "below the waterline" applications, I would use a hose that's rated for use below the waterline.

In a case like this, the cost of materials is minor compared to the labor even if you do it yourself and the result should last for many years, so I would use the highest quality hose available. The difference in cost will be very small spread over ten or twenty years.

My bad, reading comprehension....I have used Pex extensively throughout my fresh water plumbing and my entire heating system but I would not use it for raw water.

I see no problem using pex for distributing the salt water throughout the boat...I just didn't use it between the seacock and the pump.

Use nylon fittings and valves....should be no big deal. I turn the system off when not onboard.

I didn't use it for the air conditioners saltwater system though...in case that system had to be left on for extended periods.

Back
Top Bottom