View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 AM   #168
cappy208
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
I have found, (not just on this little craft, but on many others) that it is not just the sound deadening absorptive insulation on the underside of the deck that is key, but the actual mating surfaces of the hatches, and scuttles on the deck plates that allows much of the noise to filter through. As you walk along the deck does the pitch of the sound change? That is from the hatches lifting, flexing and breaking the seal of the deck frame. To me this is a larger part of the sound deadening success.

If you have all the sound barrier in place its effect is dramatically lessened if it 'leaks' from the hatches anyway. Another issue is warped plywood and chipped edges.

I have not looked carefully at the specific insulation on Slip Aweigh to see a brand name. It is two layers of 5/8" black foam with an orange hard plastic (approx 1/16') layer between the two with aluminum foil on the side toward the engine compartment. It is held on with some adheshive. I have used the glue on studs with the snap on covers you mention. They work well with rockwool panels even on the overhead.

On most boats I have worked on in the past 35 years sound deadening is almost universally appreciated. Even if it helps a 'little bit'!

You have a get home kicker. How much speed do you make with the OB? Can the rudder steer even if the OB is behind the rudder? Is the OB on the centerline?
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote