Is this bow wave OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about this one?

Attachments

• IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 238

Alas, too late Al, though this one looks fun as well. I think I would have liked to cruise the boat I originally asked about in this thread but now have an offer accepted on a fiberglass slicer(sort of) in Bellingham, so off in another direction. I think I have a virus that causes me to like many boats I see. I went with the one I did partly because it will likely be easier to sell when I am done with it than the aluminum one offs would be. Owning two boats in this size range is temporary......that's my story and I am sticking to it......for now.

I agree w bayview. Experience? Sure. I've seen lots of tugs w the "bone in their teeth".

Jet fuel? You mean kerosene? That's what I burn in my Wabasto. Kinda stinky but I burn very little.

Saying tugboat captains don't care" about fuel use is putting them too much at one end of the spectrum. Sure they care. everyone does. They also care about getting to the job quickly, and too many delays will mean the loss of $ earned, so they put their cares about fuel use behind their cares about getting to the job in a hurry. Besides, they spend a lot of time at low speed once the tow is engaged.

Xs,
This hull has chines and very little keel aft. Not sure how to classify it. I also love the raw aluminum, grew up on it and made a living on it for awhile. Freshwater.

The large bow wake is caused by the slow speed and a blunt bow, so it's sort of like a barge pushing the water. Our boat is built on a commercial trawler hull, redesign as a pleasure. The bow flares to the full beam with in 10 ft pushing water.

However the water line is 51 ft so hull speef is 7 to 9. Also a dry ride, not much water over the bow as the bow has a large flare so the water is blocked pushed to the side. Also the large flare so thr bow does not sink as deep and a quicker recovery.

The 400 hp 8.3 puts out almost identical hp and fuel burn at 1400 rpm as my 250hp 8.3. That picture shows me at 1400 and about 7.5 knots. You don't need to use more power for trawler speeds.
At WOT I get about 10 knots at 250 hp but the noise is intense and the fuel burn is breathtaking.

Well the Thread creep is well underway-Y-Knot!

As the OP has gone off on another course regarding bow waves and such, I came across this as I was surfing another subject. It seems appropriate to share with the crew:-

Al-Marben-Pocket CRUISER

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom