Nordhavn 35 Coastal Pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any experience or opinions regarding these boats?* I know that 23 were sold from 2000 thru 2004 and that there were hull modifications from hull #7 on to acheive greater speed.* All were*powered with a single Yanmar 6LY-STE from 350hp to 420hp.
Thanks in advance.* Fortune Teller, a Newbie to the forum

Welcome to the forum. I will move this thread to general discussion for more exposure.

I can't really speak to the particulars of the N 35 but what has always struck me about this boat is it seems too small for it's designed purpose. You aren't going to do a circumnavigation with a N35 so why not save a ton of money and just get a "regular" trawler as any of them will be just fine for a coastal cruiser? If you went with a more traditional trawler you would get a lot more liveable area and space for a lot less money than the N35 but that is just my humble opinion.

I saw several of the first offs while on the East Coast a few years ago. The single complaint that I heard was that their engines had to spin up to higher rpms to get any speed unlike the larger N's with the Luggers. Thus, they were noisy. Yanmars are hi rev diesels.

Fortune Teller, I have always liked the idea of the 35, mostly because we boat on the West Coast and such a vessel makes a lot of sense out here.* I had the Yanmar in an Albin 28 we owned for a couple of years between our sailing days and current trawler, and it seemed a solid, if smokey engine.* That said, it wouldn't be my choice for a power plant for a trawler, but others might disagree.*

The big objection is the price.* For half to 2/3 of what most want for a used 35, you can get 42' plus in a vessel that will serve the purpose as well or better.

Go to www.yachtworld.com and use their advanced search function and you'll see the point.

Fortune Teller: *I had looked seriously toward the Nordhavn 35 as one of the options to consider when selecting a versatile cruising mono-hull. *Most of the other boats we were looking at were powercats, so the relatively shallow draft and good turn of speed helped the 35's qualifications. *I was aboard one in Daytona Beach only a week or so ago. *It is a convincing specimen with its thick windows, squat pilothouse, heavy mast/boom rig, and vault-like cockpit door. *The thing looks like it could turn-turtle and not think about it. *But space, engine access, storage, etc. is a lot like other Nords....that is, it seems to follow function, which is not really necessary for a boat built FOR coastal cruising. *Deck access is wide and secure. *Ground tackle was an impressive SS Nordhavn anchor with all chain rode. *The mast had kind-of a crows nest, and was not something that one could bring down in a hurry in the case of a low bridge. *Combine that with a Nord price level and the economic compromise of a very big Yanmar pushing a semi-displacement hull......I dunno. * It's a Nordhavn, and no one could take that away from you, but I don't think one has to look very far to find a less pricier boat with just as many advantages and fewer compromises to boot. *In short, I think this baby Nord fullfills an itch but not a nitch. *My two cents.

-- Edited by healhustler on Monday 31st of January 2011 09:45:08 PM

The Nordy's are mostly priced on DOCK STRUTTING ability.

As none of the small ones have the range for actual Ocean crossing , a Bayliner will do at 1/10 the cost what the Nordy will do but without STRUTTING rights.

Fortune Teller,

I seriously*looked at the N35*several years ago.* I got to know*a FL*Nordhavn broker fairly well.* We liked the look and felt that the boat was built as well as any boat out there.

Here is what we were told by the Nordhavn broker and*found to be true.

We had looked at several of the*35's that were for sale at the time.* We looked at one twice in fact and were taken on a*sea trial*in the boat.* All of the hulls under #7 will not get up on a plane even with the 370 Yanmar.* As you apply power the bow comes up and there is no way to get it to go down even with the trim tabs at full extension.* You can not see out the front of the boat. *This changed after hull #7*with hull #8.* Hence most of the ones for sale when we were looking*were the lower numbered hulls.

The story, from the Nordhavn Rep is as follows.* When the boat was designed it was designed to be a semi planing hull as opposed to all of*the other Nordhavns.* The boat was priced under the 40 by $150k and was excepted by the public extremely well.* So well that the first six or seven were sold at the Annapolis Power Boat Show*before number one*got out of the mold and finished*its sea trial.* As I understand it five and six were in the molds when the sea trial happened.* No matter what they did to it, number one*just would not get up on the step at all.* It would try but no cigar.* That is what the one we sea trialed did also.* So the decision was made to change the hull to a tunnel,*add a bigger wheel and the*gear reduction was changed to slow down the wheel*in speed.* This fixed the problem but by that time the damage had been done.* The word was out that the boat did not perform as advertised and it was in trouble.* In addition the Rep said that the cost to built the boat was climbing and they were very close to the cost of the 40 at the end so they pulled the plug.

This was related to me by a person that was in the know and was trying to be as honest as he could be.*
Hope this is of help to you.

FF wrote:The Nordy's are mostly priced on DOCK STRUTTING ability.

As none of the small ones have the range for actual Ocean crossing , a Bayliner will do at 1/10 the cost what the Nordy will do but without STRUTTING rights.
Sorry FF you are wrong again.

*In 2001 a N40 hull number 21*left Dana Point CA and started a 27 week circumnavigation.* That they completed. *I think that means go all the way around the world.

Then in 2004 a fleet of Nordhavns (15) which included a 40 and 43 left Fort Lauderdale and went to*Gibraltar.* My guess is they crossed the Atlantic.

I have nothing against Bayliner or my Mainship but they won't do this.

The N46 has done more circumnavigations than any other power boat built. The problem with the N35 is that it is not capable of doing something like that so you are looking at just a coastal cruiser. There are SO many options out there for a coastal cruiser, almost all of them at much less financial cost to achieve the same goal.

I too did a lot of research into the N35. It was pretty funny that I barely received any public responses on the Nordhavn Yahoo forum when I asked about it, but received plenty of bad press emails offline from members. Apparently nobody who poo-pooed them actually owned one, they owned 40-47 boats. I spoke with one guy who really liked his and thought it handled better than the 40 because of the less sail area. It turned out to be too small for our extended cruising plans but I did like it - especially the ability to walk around the cabin - something missing on all of the more recent Nordhavns until you get to the 50+ range. There were some great deals on these a while ago. I'm pretty sure the one in Daytona Beach (which seems pretty well equipped) would go for a bargain (for a Nordhavn) price.

Dave

That N35 in Yachtworld located in Daytona Beach was originally owned by residents here in Chocowinity NC, and I note in the photos still show the same boat name (Beastie) and hailing port. The owners moved to FL and did have the boat on the market a number of years ago. I wonder if they're STILL trying to sell it, or if it changed hands without renaming or even a change of home port. Or maybe they're just 5 year old photos.

A. Ross
Chocowinity NC

Did a super fast search of the USCG documentation records- only one owner ever of record so I am guessing it never sold. Actual sold comps in recent past are still a good bit below the asking price of that particular N35 which is actually the lowest asking price in the USA.

magicbus wrote:*I spoke with one guy who really liked his and thought it handled better than the 40 because of the less sail area. It turned out to be too small for our extended cruising plans but I did like it - especially the ability to walk around the cabin - something missing on all of the more recent Nordhavns until you get to the 50+ range.
Dave
This is true the boat did handle well after the fix but most of the ones for sale when I was looking at them*were the ones before the fix.* Also by the time of the fix the damage to the reputation of the 35*had been done.

I'm not sure what the deal on the 35 in Daytona Beach is, but I observed that boat for quite a while with one broker, and now the boat has been switched to the same broker that sold me my Manatee. *I can't say enough good about this guy, but what I can say is that since I've been following the boat, *the price has dropped significantly (for a Nordhavn). *I took a tour of that boat recently, and it would be tough to find one in better overall shape. *I don't know what Hull number it is, but I sure wouldn't want to end up with one of those early ones that JD described in his earlier post. *I love the look of the boat, but I keep thinking it needs a deck gun to make it all happen.

Attachments

• nordwithgun.jpg
    nordwithgun.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,155
If it had been available in the SF Bay Area at the time I was shopping, I might have*bought it.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 02:08:25 AM

A Hat 40 will cost $20K and do everything the Nordy will do , better.

"My guess is they crossed the Atlantic."

The toy 35 was the discussion not the big brothers

However even they only got across with the aid of tech help to solve various breakdowns.

Nice when the "fix it team" swims over in mid Atlantic .

The hundred or so 30-50 ft sail boats that migrate from Europe annually do it on their OWN.

Amazing., as most cost less than the sales tax on a Nordy!

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 05:36:17 AM

I was thinking of adding this piece of artillery, sans wheels, but decided something smaller would fit better.

img_40388_0_eb358bc5ffa72fc220b1fe55d658e9ba.jpg

FF wrote:

"My guess is they crossed the Atlantic."

The toy 35 was the discussion not the big brothers

However even they only got across with the aid of tech help to solve various breakdowns.

Nice when the "fix it team" swims over in mid Atlantic .

The hundred or so 30-50 ft sail boats that migrate from Europe annually do it on their OWN.

Amazing., as most cost less than the sales tax on a Nordy!

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 05:36:17 AM
You did not single out the 35 and I don't think anyone would ever think that the 35 would cross do to it's intended design.

The mechanical breakdowns were repaired as needed.* What would you have done, sunk the boat where it was?

How many $20k Hats would make it*across without repairs.* Some of the brand new Hats,*$3.5M*ones don't get out of the Neuse River with out repairs.

The point is not that they are bad but they are boats and they do break, no matter who make them or what they cost.

I have nothing to do with Nordhavn or any other brand.* I just don't see why you trash everything that isn't done on the cheap.* Some folks have some pride in what they own no matter what* it costs.

JD wrote:I just don't see why you trash everything that isn't done on the cheap.*
I think what FF is referring to is the articles that were run in PassageMaker and
other maagazines. The articles indicated that there was significant help by the
"Mother Ship" and other boats and in one case a qualified technician actually swam
across to the troubled boat and fixed the problem. When the Nordy 40
circumnavigated the globe, there were various crew changes along the way and
parts were flown in to some of the ports for replacement by the crew. If memory
serves me correctly, an actual representative from one of the suppliers actually flew
over to service another problem. Hell, with help like that I could have made it in
SeaHorse!

SeaHorse II wrote:

JD wrote:I just don't see why you trash everything that isn't done on the cheap.* I think what FF is referring to is the articles that were run in PassageMaker and
other maagazines. The articles indicated that there was significant help by the
"Mother Ship" and other boats and in one case a qualified technician actually swam
across to the troubled boat and fixed the problem. When the Nordy 40
circumnavigated the globe, there were various crew changes along the way and
parts were flown in to some of the ports for replacement by the crew. If memory
serves me correctly, an actual representative from one of the suppliers actually flew
over to service another problem. Hell, with help like that I could have made it in
SeaHorse!
Seahorse,

You are correct that someone did*swim over to the boat that had a problem.* It is all in a video that Nordhavn produced the records the whole trip.*No body was trying to hide anything.*

The mother ship was the 57 Nordhavn and she was traveling with 17 other boats of which 14 of them were Nordhavns beside her self.* The problem on the one boats was*I believe*that the Stabilizers had malfunctioned and they were in pretty heavy seas and the motion on the*problem boat was pretty bad.* So my question to you is if*it were*you*on the boat with the malfunctioning Stabilizers and I had someone on my boat that thought they could fix them and we were all heading to the same place from the same place as buddy boats I should tell you that my guy, who was going to*risk his life to swim over BTW, isn't coming over to fix your problem, you will just have to tuff it out.* This isn't NASCAR.

I just read it again the other day and the crew changes were made to give all of the folks that worked on the project a chance to have some time on board including the sales staff.* It wasn't like the an*ABC broke so we will change crew to put ABC experts on board.* If the parts were not flown to a port how was the boat crew to get them?* By camel express or pack animal.* Sure they were flown in.* My friend just left my house last Wednesday going to his boat in NZ as he sails her*around the world.* He had one suitcase full of hard to get gear that he was flying back with*him.* I guess I should have told him he didn't need that stuff and he just need to be tuff like Magellan.*

As far as the representative of the supplier flying to where the 40 was to fix a problem I'd call that good service from the supplier and good business sense, wouldn't you?* You don't think Cat, Yanmar, Northern Lights, Cummins.... do the same thing for other boat builders.** At one time Hatteras had several crews that did nothing but that kind of work.* One guy that hangs out*around our marina use to get on a plane and fly all over the world to fix deck problems for Hatteras.* He was known for being able to match the crosshatch anti skid pattern so that no one could tell where the repair had been done.* No one.

Maybe your boat could make that kind of trip with that kind of support but there is nothing that says that if you head out on a trip like that you must suffer through all of your problems with out any help.* That is just obsurd.* It*was 2001 not 1492.

Old Stone wrote:

Lawrence - I like the added deck gun ! 'Think I may have posted this before, but here is a shot of my Egg Harbor on days when I don't get along with the Dockmaster. Oh wait ! We don't have a Dockmaster anymore !
no.gif

Carl: *Love the 50 calibers at the corners. *I think the boat may suffer from a bit of roll when firing a broadside. *Nice job.

"How many $20k Hats would make it across without repairs."

$20K hats are coastal cruisers ,not pretense "Trawlers" and the number that can run long shore or a simple loop with out hassle is decided by how often the operator will take the ground.

Some of the brand new Hats, $3.5M ones don't get out of the Neuse River with out repairs.

No doubt , its not the basic boats that are the hassle , hulls , engines and trannys are fairly robust, its the extra goodies stuck on that seem to be the demise of the cruise.OR the weeks waiting for parts and a repair guy.

"The point is not that they are bad but they are boats and they do break, no matter who make them or what they cost."

Few boats get worn out from use , what "breaks" is usually an owner add on, and simple redundancy of cheap items , like a spare FW pump or set of belts or impeller solves the problem.

When its the computer to operate the Hyd stabelizers, its a whole different deal.

JD, excellent points!!! I was thinking the same thing. Things are gonna go wrong..ALWAYS!!!! And having assistance along the way is just part of the deal!!!

Baker wrote:

JD, excellent points!!! I was thinking the same thing. Things are gonna go wrong..ALWAYS!!!! And having assistance along the way is just part of the deal!!!
Thank you. * Exactly. stuff breaks what are you suppose to do stop where you are and sink the boat?

If a boat had the redundancy*that you have on your airplane it would be a different story.

Baker wrote:And having assistance along the way is just part of the deal!!!
The problem is that the "assistance" you are talking about doesn't come cheap!
I stand by my previous quote. With that kind of "assistance" most of the Forum's
members probably could have made that trip.
bye.gif

JD wrote:

Baker wrote:

Thank you. * Exactly. stuff breaks what are you suppose to do stop where you are and sink the boat?

If a boat had the redundancy*that you have on your airplane it would be a different story.

I have a complete video of the Nordhavn Ralley Atlantic crossing.* They did it in 2 groups.* The smaller, slower boats left first then the faster, larger boats.* This was so that they should arrive at the destination close together.* Also, the bigger boats could help the slower boats.

They didn't just transfer crew members.* They had a physician on board the lead boat.* He had to treat a couple of people during the crossing as well as being available for consultation.* They even transferred water from one boat to another.* They had technicians they put aboard boats with trouble.* I believe Uno Mas is the one with stabilizer problems.

Of course, systems suppliers are going to be very attentive during an event of this sort.* Their service and performance were visible to all the cruising world.* The cost to the participitants varied between $50-100,000.00.* Not cheap.

This is not to say that it was not a fantastic demonstration of passagemaking.* Oh no.* It was just that it was done with a heck of a lot of assistance that Delfin will not have as he starts his circumnavigation of the Pacific.* There are many couples out there doing it alone.* Now, that's what I call gutsy.* They have my respect.

Moonstruck wrote:There are many couples out there doing it alone.* Now, that's what I call gutsy.* They have my respect.
Amen, brother!

Moonstruck wrote:

*I believe Uno Mas is the one with stabilizer problems.
I believe the MV*Egret has been out since then on their own continuing the adventure.* All on there own buck as well.* They have both contributed articles to Passage Maker and other rags as well.

Back
Top Bottom