La Perouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marin said:
It has been discussed several times on the Grand Banks Owners forum... That forum has a searchable archives just like this one so I would assume the posts on the subject by true pros like Bob Lowe and Mike Negley are still there.
When the IAGBO server crashes, you can expect to hear about it. TFers are already lined up to register and log in to access the archives.

All same Black Friday at Walmart.

If my memory is correct, there will be no future owners of Marin's boat as he plans to sink it.

If my memory is correct, there will be no future owners of Marin's boat as he plans to sink it.

Incorrect assumption IMO sir. Heard today peta is suing to represent a primate in a copyright case. Sinking his boat will make it property of the fish and crustaceans that call the seabed home. By that point I'm sure the courts will have long since found in favor of peta.

I say all this to say just because he donates his boat to Poseidon does not necessarily mean an end to his legal liabilities. :)

Not quite correct. I'm not going to sink it--- I can't do that myself. The (considerable) requirements have been drawn up for us so it's a matter of compliance when the time comes and the boat will be sunk into position under supervision. However this is a ways down the road. We still have things we want to do with it.:)

Last edited:
Truly, there aren't many options here - it's either steering (including rudders) or propulsion (including cooling, shafts, etc). The only mentions of rescue tape on IAGBO are for cooling/exhaust systems, and most cooling/exhaust issues are related to the engine(s) and are not "unique to certain GBs" or "boats with the same configurtation" (assuming that "configurtation" was a rare - for Marin - typo).

The mechanical steering on the GBs is known to wear and cause some surprising failures (i.e. when backing down smartly). But I can't see how self-amalgamating tape would be of much use, and the steering is the same across almost all GBs - except, of course, the difference between single and twin rudders.

My guess is that it was the rudders, which - being twins - are much more likely to fail than a single rudder which is both protected AND mounted in a strengthened part of the hull. Rudder posts and mounting hardware for older GB rudders are a known source of failure.

Might as well add this to the list of advantages that singles have over twins. :)

Last edited:
My guess is that it was the rudders, which - being twins - are much more likely to fail than a single rudder which is both protected AND mounted in a strengthened part of the hull. Might as well add this to the list of advantages that singles have over twins. :)

So I take it Refugio your hull is weak outboard of your rudder? :eek:

It was nothing to do with steering or the engines so no need to waste your armchair theorizing on those. Or the legal system.:)

So I take it Refugio your hull is weak outboard of your rudder? :eek:
It's all relative, but sure - my hull would be thinner away from the keel. And a rudder without a shoe from the keel would have much greater forces placed on it. Even if it's not Marin's failure mode, that is not uncommon on older twin GBs. And the mounting hardware for the semi-accessible flanges is a notorious source of frustration - not just on boats but everywhere. Often bolts are installed before additionally assembly and become unremovable. Or heads break off. These are often really difficult items to secure and any failure or weakness is difficult and expensive to cure.

It was nothing to do with steering or the engines so no need to waste your armchair theorizing on those. Or the legal system.:)

Well, you said "It stemmed from a weakness in the boat's mechanical design and snowballed from there". And there aren't that many "mechanical" systems on that boat. Gerr's "Boat Mechanical Systems Handbook" lists these sections:

• Drivetrain Installations
  • Fuel Systems
  • Exhaust Systems
  • Rudders and Steering Systems
  • Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Heating
  • Plumbing Systems with notes on Fire Suppression
  • Anchoring Systems

I know you love working our your heads yourself - and those can be a huge system to fully renovate or replace - and I can certainly see uses for tape - but...ok, I suppose a failure would be a "very bad situation". But a sea trial? I don't see it for a plumbing issue. Or a blower. And I think you said you don't have a furnace. Fuel tanks - that's hardly an obscure issue - it's the #1 concern with every GB of that vintage.

Holy cow, that leaves...anchoring systems! :facepalm:

Last edited:
What does Coast Guard Intelligence (CGI) have to do with Marin????

Oh........now I get it!!!!

and why so hush...hush....:D

and why so hush...hush....:D

It's called trolling. He's been not so subtly dropping this bait for months waiting for someone to start a thread about it.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    95 KB · Views: 50
I still have my secret decoder ring...I'll email CGI for the facts (as the government understands them)! :socool:

CPseudonym said:
It's called trolling. He's been not so subtly dropping this bait for months.
It's also entertaining as evidenced by how hard the fish go at the bait.
It's still winter on parts of the west coast; what's everyone else's excuse?

Last edited:
I am going with shaft logs/stern tubes!!!

I think you may be on the right track. I previously wrote:
Refugio said:
...it's either steering (including rudders) or propulsion (including cooling, shafts, etc).

And Marin responded with:
Marin said:
It was nothing to do with steering or the engines...

Notice the difference? I wrote "propulsion" and he said "not engine". So it could be shafts/glands/tubes. In fact, if it's not steering (which I would say includes the rudders), then it does sound like shafts.

Or anchor system! :)

:thumb::thumb:
I've mentioned that more than once and got no denial so will continue to believe it makes the most logical sense, given all the other "nopes" and clever evasive wording...
...shaft logs are not part of the engines.

What do you suppose he's sipping at, as he laughs through all this, pondering the next segment?
Latte?
Chai Tea?
King of Scotts?
Cow Piss (aka US beer)?
Or the ultimate product of marketing genius, Starbucks?

Last edited:
refugio said:
...then it does sound like shafts.
Talked about at length on IAGBO and as every dog knows, easily remedied with Rescue Tape.

Last edited:
This is what's happening!

Attachments

• Marin.jpg
    Marin.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 51
A marine machinist mentioned that GB have a well know shaft strut alignment problem. He indicated this has created various area of damage to the cutless, the log, the shaft, the strut and/or several of these in combination. I do not know Marin's problem but the misaligned shaft strut is a known problem. The machinist said that on a haul out survey he always turns the props and if there is any drag or uneven feel he recommends checking the strut alignment. Additionally on some boats the structure of the hull is not strong enough to keep the alignment place. The alignment is made out of the water and when the boat is splashed the hull flex between the log and the strut is significant. Newer boats have better hull structure and shaft alignment.

I started the thread because I was genuinely interested. Sorry now I did, time for a TF hiatus methinks...

<opt out>

I started the thread because I was genuinely interested. Sorry now I did, time for a TF hiatus methinks...

<opt out>

Yes, you did and I explained why I was not going to answer it which should have been the end of it right there.

Unfortunately it is the nature of forums like this to blow virtually everything totally of propotion to ridiculous lengths, which is why I never discuss anything that actually matters on them.

With regards to dhmeissner"s original question, I'm not trying to bait anyone (sorry, Walt). I mentioned the fact that our boat's been laid up a few times because its being out of service was relevant to whatever I was writing about at the time.

It's a very old boat, and like all old boats, it has had a number of problems over the 17-plus years we've had it. Some have been serious, most not so much.

But I NEVER bring these up at the time on this forum because we have long since learned that, while we'll get all kinds of suggestions and theorizing and opinions, none of them are credible enough to act on and most of them are inaccurate, don't apply to our situation, are pure specuation or guesses, or are, we later learn, simply wrong.

Forums like this are great entertainment and they can be useful as was just demonstrated by a poster needing to find a good surveyor in Bellingham. A couple of us familiar with the subject offered suggestions and it sounds like the poster is on his way toward meeting his need.

But for stuff that really matters to us, like finding and fixing a serious problem with our boat, there is absolutely no value in discussing it here. Not when we have truly knowledgeable, experienced, and most important, credible resources a phone call away.

And, of course, we talked about the situation with friends who know something or a lot about boats and their systems and who might have had-- or did have on occasion-- something of value to say or at least helped keep our spirits up when things were at their most frustrating.

Personally I think this thread should be closed as it is providing nothing of value but is simply fueling a lot of silly speculation that will never be resolved because I am never going to describe or discuss the event here for the reasons I have given several times now.

But silly speculation is the nature of forums like this and closing threads is not part of my job description.:)

Last edited:
Who cares? If the OP isn't interested and the perp won't talk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom