Navionics; Dock to Dock app

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
This looks cool, and would be real handy for someone like me (from way out in the boonies with no big city boating experience) if we ever travel south.

Not to be trusted 100% of course, but would be like having a local boating buddy aboard who knows the area well;

Dock-to-dock Autorouting | Navionics

Yayyyy!!!! I can set it up for where I want to go, then go below and enjoy a quicky, then come up to the helm as I approach the dock. If only it would dock the boat and tie up the lines, shut down the engine and scrub the deck.

Or how about a virtual reality cruise. Drone video spliced together to give the illusion of motoring down the route. And it is safer. You can pause it for your quicky.

David

I suppose it's like the Garmin Auto Routing (I think that's the name) that works with the G2 Vision cards. You put in your location and destination and it's supposed to figure the route for you.

For me it was a complete bust. There's a narrow land cut on the ICW near me. Boats of all sizes use it but the Garmin application refuses to route me through it. If I set my location at one end of the (few hundred yards) land cut and the destination at the other end, the application takes me back to the harbor, out to sea and back up another river.

I tried making other routes on the ICW but it just stalled. I think there are too many turns.

I remember someone somewhere on a web forum thinking that if they bought a marine GPS they could just put in a friend's address and it would guide them there.

There are places where GPS would put me aground. Charts aren't always correct. Use autopilot so can spend more effort looking. Always needing to adjust course for kayakers, paddle boarders, boats, ships, and flotsam (floating pilings, boards, trees, and such).

Sigh...

It ain't an autopilot, just an app that highlights (as in suggests) a path to follow.

I'm used to boating in a remote, unpopulated, mountainous area...just saying this app seems like it would be handy when pulling into an unknown, congested, low lying port city with a million or more inhabitants.

Last edited:
I suppose it's like the Garmin Auto Routing (I think that's the name) that works with the G2 Vision cards. You put in your location and destination and it's supposed to figure the route for you.

For me it was a complete bust. There's a narrow land cut on the ICW near me. Boats of all sizes use it but the Garmin application refuses to route me through it. If I set my location at one end of the (few hundred yards) land cut and the destination at the other end, the application takes me back to the harbor, out to sea and back up another river.

I tried making other routes on the ICW but it just stalled. I think there are too many turns.

I remember someone somewhere on a web forum thinking that if they bought a marine GPS they could just put in a friend's address and it would guide them there.

If Garmin refuses to guide you through, check the settings for acceptable depth, distance from shore, etc.. My auto guidance works very well in dealing with various challenges found in the Salish Sea.

Has anyone had a good experience with this new Navionics app? I read a few reviews and based on the reviews I am hesitant to put out the $50.

I've used the navionic app for 6 months. On my iPad paired with a Bad Elf...its fantasic. Maps are updated weekly...auto routing works great ( just set your draft).

Just completed Grasonville, md to north palm beach down the icw and each day had it up and running next to garmin plotters.

I've used the navionic app for 6 months. On my iPad paired with a Bad Elf...its fantasic. Maps are updated weekly...auto routing works great ( just set your draft).

Just completed Grasonville, md to north palm beach down the icw and each day had it up and running next to garmin plotters.

Can it serve adult beverages?

If Garmin refuses to guide you through, check the settings for acceptable depth, distance from shore, etc.. My auto guidance works very well in dealing with various challenges found in the Salish Sea.

I did that. As close to shore as possible. It didn't help.

The other thing to consider is that there are places where the charts are not accurate. In parts of the AICW north of Charleston, SC, running the boat down the middle of a cut shows you actually on shore on the chart plotter. This is where it becomes obvious that what you actually see with your own eyes is more important than what a chart plotter shows.

I actually have used the Navionics app for years and love it. It's easy to use, has a ton of cool features, I can pass the iPad around for my guests to follow our location as well (big hit when I have newbies aboard) and the charts are updated daily (though not always daily in the the specific area I'm boating in at the time). Because of it's ease of use, ability to track, chartplot, and lots more I'd say it's so worth the money (obviously since I've been using it for years).

It is worth the fifty bucks! I have 2 E Classic Raymarine plotters networked using a Platinum chart card, which I use, but all routing is done on Ipad with Navionics, just so much easier. I used to have Garmin 4000 series on another boat, and their auto routing was just as easy to use as navionics. Actually would rather have Garmin on current boat, but the Raymarine is working fine. My first trip to Alaska in the 70's, I had a compass, a paddlewheel log, a depth sounder, just the digits , no picture, and paper charts. Also no experience, a new sailboat, never had sailed before. Made it to Juneau fine, with a side trip to Charlottes on way North. It is much easier these days.

Anyone use the app with a new Raymarine chart plotter? c/e97?

Yayyyy!!!! I can set it up for where I want to go, then go below and enjoy a quicky, then come up to the helm as I approach the dock. If only it would dock the boat and tie up the lines, shut down the engine and scrub the deck.

Or how about a virtual reality cruise. Drone video spliced together to give the illusion of motoring down the route. And it is safer. You can pause it for your quicky.

David

+1

David

There are simulators. We've used them and they're more realistic than I would have believed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom