View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Back in the day... 60''s / 70's I did a lot of boat bottom painting. Pretty crappy job to have to do on a regular basis, if you ask me. Once every few years - not so bad! No matter how well and "pretty" you do a bottom... tiz little appreciation provided; once in the water none other than snorkelers/bottom-cleaners get opp to see your artistry. lol

I plan to haul our Tolly next fall (was going to do it this fall but tree falling on our house stooped that effort) for lots of "make it better/pretty" from keel to flush deck. Bottom paint is one of the important items. Sooo... I'm researching bottom paints as well as boat-yard costs. Found to date that careful shopping for materials and yards can provide substantial savings and ease of mind on quality factors; that is if you have the yard do the work. Also, hauling machine quality and quality/expertise of boat set-up on the hard are needed to know about the yard.

I'm a hands on type guy and don't mind at all getting down n' dirty with restorations on anything. I'm thinking that bottom job, boot stripe, through hull replacements, hull shine, and rub rail removal/re-bedding/re-fasting could best be accomplished by supervising a pair from my construction crew come to do it. Therefore - the yard must allow work on boat to be self-performed. Maybe, I will let the yard-labor install my chosen and self-purchased bottom paint... to help keep em $$$ income happy!

Shop, shop, shop for price on bottom paint. I've found that reasonable costs can be located.

Art is offline   Reply With Quote