FAST with good MPG the compromise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a discussion of one fellows version of fast for less.

Sorry its not a TT roomaran , but if someone is in a hurry long and skinny is a good way to go.

42' Carbon Fiber - "Passagemaker Lite" - Boat Design Forums

12. K ...14.5 MPH at 3.3 GPH seems a nice way to travel!

I wonder how much it cost - that amount of Carbon Fiber has to be pretty spendy. Probably enough that the fuel savings is a moot point but it is nevertheless pretty cool to see a 43 footer at a pretty decent clip burning less fuel than a 20 foot bowrider.

Meh.

I get half of that on.....half of that.

7.0mph at 1.4gph

I know, I know not the same thing. :blush:

My problem is aerodynamic drag. :D

Impressive performance.

That's gotta be pretty austere inside, right? Got some inner pics?

Long/skinny just doesnt work for most folks. Can you say snap roll at anchor. The numbers look great but the real world looks different.

"Can you say snap roll at anchor".

With a good beam sea many boats will snap roll , but with a L/B ratio of a skinny boat it is far more likely to just go quickly up and down.

All boats will do the same , set the anchors to point into the swell, visit ST Barts to see dozens anchored outside this way.

"wonder how much it cost - that amount of Carbon Fiber has to be pretty spendy"

Aluminum works even better for one offs , and is cheap to build as pre cut sheets have zero waste .

Moldless carbon fiber ( make a sheet , stick them together also has littlev waste and id fast!

Modern multihull style construction construction

Booklet Explaining KSS Boat Building Method - Kelsall ...

www.[B]kelsall[/B].com/UniqueKSS/WhatIsKSS.pdf

KSS is a complete boat building system, applied primarily to Kelsall ... KSS (Kelsall Swiftbuild Sandwich) was suggested by the first KSS owner/ builder who was ...

[PDF]KSS Advantages and the Strange Truth of Custom Boat ...

www.[B]kelsall[/B].com/TechnicalArticles/KSSAdvantages.pdf

K E L S A L L C A T A M A R A N S. 1 ... Building. KSS (Kelsall Swiftbuild Sandwich) is a custom boat building technique which has been developed and.

Last edited:
Snap and roll?

One needs the beam for the leverage to roll the boat quickly to impart the "snap" part of the expression. A very narrow heavy boat will not "snap" roll but a wide boat will .. light or heavy. Water dosn't stand down and a wide hard chine WILL snap roll. The roll has more to do w the cross sectional bottom/hull shape ...IMO.

FAST!!!!!!! with good economy

Wifey B: This boat achieves 1.1 mpg at 60 mph and the same at 100 mph. (52 gph at 60 mph and 90 gph at 100 mph). :D:D:D:thumb:

Fast.jpg

40' X 11' Dave Martin designed Trendsetter 40 ...

TAMD60B 235hp

1300RPM 1.6gph at 8.2knots (full load)
2400RPM 8.0gph at 20.0knots (light load)
2400RPM 8.0gph at 14.0knots (Full load)

Photo at 20 nmh ... very little wake

Attachments

• Fireworks1.jpg
    Fireworks1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 94
Which means on full fuel it will take you...to the next fuel dock very quickly.
(Just kidding - it is a reasonably respectable 150 miles or so).

166 miles. My wife has never seen them but when I was young there were various hydroplanes and other special performance boats on the lake that could only make it between the closest fuel docks. They had such small tanks to try to allow them to actually float. Some wouldn't float sitting still so people would hold the back up while preparing.

Snap and roll?

One needs the beam for the leverage to roll the boat quickly to impart the "snap" part of the expression. A very narrow heavy boat will not "snap" roll but a wide boat will .. light or heavy. Water dosn't stand down and a wide hard chine WILL snap roll. The roll has more to do w the cross sectional bottom/hull shape ...IMO.

Ever see a log snap roll? Me neither. They just go up and down

Wifey B: This boat achieves 1.1 mpg at 60 mph and the same at 100 mph. (52 gph at 60 mph and 90 gph at 100 mph). :D:D:D:thumb:

View attachment 47931

In my broad diesel boat searches on YW a go fast boat would always pop up. I do not remember the make but I think it was a Fountain. It had twin Yanmar 440s and they boasted of 22gph at 55mph!!!...not bad. I don't know if gurgling Yanmars has the same penis extension qualities as two roaring 502s!!!

In my broad diesel boat searches on YW a go fast boat would always pop up. I do not remember the make but I think it was a Fountain. It had twin Yanmar 440s and they boasted of 22gph at 55mph!!!...not bad. I don't know if gurgling Yanmars has the same penis extension qualities as two roaring 502s!!!

Wifey B: We love looking at and thinking of those boats. No penis extensions happening here though over them. The thing is we always end up thinking how much fun they'd be for a few days. Then....not.....:nonono:

Wifey B: We love looking at and thinking of those boats. No penis extensions happening here though over them. The thing is we always end up thinking how much fun they'd be for a few days. Then....not.....:nonono:

Like having a jet ski - the most fun thing in the world for about 45 minutes then your ass hurts and you run out of place to go.

Like having a jet ski - the most fun thing in the world for about 45 minutes then your ass hurts and you run out of place to go.

EXACTLY!!! And the reason why classifieds are LOADED with lightly used Jet skis. It is not so much that you run out of places to go...it is just so uncomfortable. Get a real boat!!!

EXACTLY!!! And the reason why classifieds are LOADED with lightly used Jet skis. It is not so much that you run out of places to go...it is just so uncomfortable. Get a real boat!!!

Wifey B: People are always asking why we don't have jet ski's, why we don't carry them with us...jet ski's, jet ski's, jet ski's. Well we have jet rib as our dinghy/tender. We can do all the fast running around in them we can on a jet ski, but not beat our butts to death and have nice comfy mostly dry seats while doing it. And we can carry more than one or two people in it. When we need our 45 minutes of jet ski, we'll rent a couple. Not feeling that need right now. :)

I have a buddy that fishes offshore .. up to 50 miles on his jet ski.. so they do have more than the one use that most of us normally think ( annoying the crap out of you when they buzz the boat in a anchorage )

it takes more skill than one thinks to fish a ski...

HOLLYWOOD

OK, so we all want to go fast. Secretly even the true trawler guys.

So at $1.84/gal maybe trawlers will disappear. Check out Osprey Marina in S.C.

Jet ski "annoying the crap out of you when they buzz the boat in a anchorage"

The simple solution to buzzing jet sjis is to cut floating polly pro line into 2 or 3 ft lengths.

Unravel the line into single strands and scatter it around your boat.

When sucked in it will either stop the motor , or cut the seal enough to make the jet pump leak.

The sound of silence is a delight!

Don't get caught!

This is Plan B.

Plan A is to simply mount our 12G starting cannon and give a "salute" as they approach.

The black powder charge is super loud and gives even brain dead riders a hint they are not wanted nearby.

Last edited:

Very true. I bought two jet skis (actually wave runners) about 8 years ago, and they have a grand total of 20 hours (each).

Back
Top Bottom