Cummins Thermostat location.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stick on dots, different coatings, surfaces finishes, etc., all have different emissivities, and that changes how the IR gun reads. Try reading a hot stainless shiny surface pipe and you will know what I mean!! Emissivity is a part of the radiative heat transfer calcs and that is the realm the IR gun operates in. In general, painted, rusty, crusty, dirty surfaces read ok. Shiny, not so well.

That's the reason in power plants and other industrial places, motors and things you want cool are painted dark. Things you want to stay hot are wrapped in shiny al wrap. You won't see dark colored insulated steam pipes, always shiny.

Baker, I'll bet you have a flaky gauge/sender/circuit. A B motor comes with a 180 tstat and that means it starts opening around 180 and is full open around 190. About a 10F operating band. If you shot it at 180F at high cruise you should be in good shape. Very rare for cooling issues to "come and go". It's either fouled or it is not.

Next time out shoot and compare.
Paper assh0les should do the trick!!

Last edited:
Stick on dots, different coatings, surfaces finishes, etc., all have different emissivities, and that changes how the IR gun reads. Try reading a hot stainless shiny surface pipe and you will know what I mean!! Emissivity is a part of the radiative heat transfer calcs and that is the realm the IR gun operates in. In general, painted, rusty, crusty, dirty surfaces read ok. Shiny, not so well.

That's the reason in power plants and other industrial places, motors and things you want cool are painted dark. Things you want to stay hot are wrapped in shiny al wrap. You won't see dark colored insulated steam pipes, always shiny.

Baker, I'll bet you have a flaky gauge/sender/circuit. A B motor comes with a 180 tstat and that means it starts opening around 180 and is full open around 190. About a 10F operating band. If you shot it at 180F at high cruise you should be in good shape. Very rare for cooling issues to "come and go". It's either fouled or it is not.

Next time out shoot and compare.
Paper assh0les should do the trick!!

Thanks ski. Strangely, we did wiggle the sender gizmo and it was loose. But we also wiggled it while underway and it did not even so much as twitch when we were jacking with it. We did do a WOT run for about 4 minutes. Never got above 190 on the pipe exiting the the block/Tstat. I will have to get more history before I feel all warm and fuzzy.

Back
Top Bottom