View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 11:32 PM   #13
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post
Just a small thing, but it drives me crazy when people use a place name that is wrong.
No argument there.

My most embarrassing mistake as an author (so far) is in the book I wrote about Kenmore Air Harbor. One of the chapters in the book is about the company's use of the Republic Seabee and the large number of private owners that kept their Seabees at Kenmore and for a few years had a very active social club centered around their planes.

One of the fairly dramatic events I describe in detail took place during a Seabee fly-in on Whidbey Island in Cornet Bay to attend a public tour of the Naval Air Station. For whatever reason I heard it pronounced as "coronet" in the audio interviews I conducted about the event and so I spelled it that way when I transcribed the interviews, and then spelled it that way throughout the chapter and that's the way it was printed. I write with MS Word and the spell checker didn't call it out because it turns out there is a word "coronet" as well as "cornet."

After the book came out Bob Hale, the then-publisher of the Waggoner Guide, asked me for a copy. He later told me that he'd really enjoyed the book but I'd made two mistakes. One was calling the bay "Coronet Bay." The other one was mispelling the island in the south Sound "Andersen" instead of the correct "Anderson."

Quote:
.....Fisherman Bay must be a great place to put a plane down.
The bay is easy enough even when it's crowded. The docks are another story....
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote