Here We Go Again - Offer Accepted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Had an offer accepted on a boat in October, but it failed the survey and sea trial miserably.

So this morning we agreed contracts on another vessel down in Stuart. Looking to survey and sea trial later in January. Close mid Feb.

More information after a successful survey!

Wish us luck on this one!

I wish you luck and I know your frustration

Oh c'mon, Paul! You've got to give us more info than that! How about a listing, some pics and your general thoughts...nothing too personal, of course.

Is it a trawler?

Oh c'mon, Paul! You've got to give us more info than that! How about a listing, some pics and your general thoughts...nothing too personal, of course.

Is it a trawler?

I don't like jink'sing the deal by saying what it is, but it does look in very good nick. In fact I think there was a thread on the boat on here back in 2010.

I'll put her up after dinner, and also discuss the older thread a wee bit because I don't think the OP gave you all the pertinent info.

Plus the current owners may be on here! ;)

Here you go. It's a [DeFever] Grand Alaskan 53. The company that owns Grand Banks sued to get the name back for their Grand Banks Alaskan so after, I think 2005, they had to quit using the Grand Alaskan name.

2002 Grand Alaskan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

As to the older thread I mentioned. Look at this link. The current owner is called Mark and the boat was purchased in 2010, so I don't know if it is the same fellow, but probably. If this is the same boat there were two pieces of information missing that may have swayed people to the Grand Alaskan instead of the Fleming. First, that it was in fact a DeFever, but more importantly the engine set up. The original owner decided to put twin Lugger 174 turbo engines into her. That was the big selling point for me. Well maintained these things run forever (John Deere marinized by Northern Lights).

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/fleming-55-versus-grand-alaskan-53-a-2162.html

So we will see how the surveys go, but she does look very very well kept.

Greetings,
It may be this one Mr. FW....

76-foot+sunken+Brazilian+yacht,+off+the+coast+of+Antartica.jpg

Sorry, my mistake...

Well I do hope that isn't karma....

Here you go. It's a [DeFever] Grand Alaskan 53. The company that owns Grand Banks sued to get the name back for their Grand Banks Alaskan so after, I think 2005, they had to quit using the Grand Alaskan name.

2002 Grand Alaskan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

As to the older thread I mentioned. Look at this link. The current owner is called Mark and the boat was purchased in 2010, so I don't know if it is the same fellow, but probably. If this is the same boat there were two pieces of information missing that may have swayed people to the Grand Alaskan instead of the Fleming. First, that it was in fact a DeFever, but more importantly the engine set up. The original owner decided to put twin Lugger 174 turbo engines into her. That was the big selling point for me. Well maintained these things run forever (John Deere marinized by Northern Lights).

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/fleming-55-versus-grand-alaskan-53-a-2162.html

So we will see how the surveys go, but she does look very very well kept.

Yes, looks pretty nice in the ad. A lot to like. Seems much better priced than a 2002 Fleming 55. I prefer the lower profile of the Fleming but it does compromise its ER space. The Grand Alaskan seems kinda bulky but likely has more headroom throughout, including the ER.

Yes, looks pretty nice in the ad. A lot to like. Seems much better priced than a 2002 Fleming 55. I prefer the lower profile of the Fleming but it does compromise its ER space. The Grand Alaskan seems kinda bulky but likely has more headroom throughout, including the ER.

I think some of the "bulky" comes from the fact that the extra couple of feet on the Fleming is in the cockpit which gives a stretch look to it.

It would be interesting to see both in a heavy sea to see how the higher freeboard and flared bow of the GA would fare compared to the Fleming and not so flared bow. See below

Regardless, contracts signed!

Attachments

• Alaskan15.jpg
    Alaskan15.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Fleming.jpg
    Fleming.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 184
BTW, you guys might enjoy this little story from one of the members over on the DeFever Owners group!

-----------------------------

A little more on the evolution after that momentous intro in the 90's. Please understand that parts of this story I heard directly from Arthur over several visits. Other parts are a logical deduction or knowledge from another source. The introduction of the new Alaskan series did, as you mention, cause quite a stir at the new boat shows. I think the original "deal" was with Oviatt Marine to sell the new series as a more or less "exclusive" dealer for the new series - at least on the East Coast. They were well introduced and quite a few were sold in the coming years. One story I got from Arthur was when, at one of the major boat shows, Tony Fleming sent a team of 5 or so engineers to the boat - which they proceeded to photograph and measure from stem to stern. At the following years' boat show, the New Fleming 53 was introduced to rave reviews. This boat was replaced by the Fleming 55 very shortly thereafter, and continues today. I always liked Arthur's dry sense of humor and did not find him given to huge overstatement, but this incident really got him going. Let's just say, his fervent account of the incident never lead me to question its veracity. Between the success of the new DeFever's and the now new Fleming, American Marine, owner of the Grand Banks brand name, leaped into action, and designed and re-introduced their new Alaskan series, and their lawsuit to reclaim both the "Grand" and "American" brand names ensued, and we end up where we are today. To be kind, both the Fleming, and the GB Alaskan series, as many other since, borrowed heavily from Arthur's'design

My information brought me to believe that the original "Alaskan" designed by Arthur, was done for American Marine (Grand Banks). Most built in wood. Several examples survive today, and are highly sought after yachts. Of course, in those days the market presence of "Grand Banks" was not so visible as it is today. They have done a great job of building value in their brand name.

However, I feel quite certain that most or even all of this new design from Art's board were advertised, built, and sold as DeFever, "GRAND ALASKAN", or the Grand Alaskan Series, by DeFever. I know there was a 53, a 60, and of course, the 64. I clearly recall (I think) seeing the cast bronze step plates with the "GA - 64" on them. I believe this was still going on when American Marine sued to claim the brand. Oviatt Marine was in some financial turmoil at the time, and lacked the resources to support a prolonged legal battle, and the settlement favored American Marine. I think it was agreed that the name did not have to be removed from existing vessels, but no more could be advertised, built, or sold under the name, except by American Marine.

Thanks for the background. The OA Mk 1 (my boat) has a pretty similar styling. Ed Monk Jnr drew it in the late 70's, and some sources say he had his father's designs from which to take inspiration. Not sure when Arthur first drew the Alaskan woodies for Grand Banks. but all of these boats, whilst similar to a casual observer, are quite different in detail so I guess no copyright infringements whoever was first. All great designs and designers really, and the RPH style with cabins under the PH really nails it when around the 50 ft mark.

The Fleming has a finer bow entry than the GA, and I think the photo angle is deceiving: there is quite a bit of flare there. All that said, were I looking for a boat now the De Fever GA 60 or 64 would be near the top of my list. The 53 only drops off due to my 5'-itis.

Thanks for the background. The OA Mk 1 (my boat) has a pretty similar styling. Ed Monk Jnr drew it in the late 70's, and some sources say he had his father's designs from which to take inspiration. Not sure when Arthur first drew the Alaskan woodies for Grand Banks. but all of these boats, whilst similar to a casual observer, are quite different in detail so I guess no copyright infringements whoever was first. All great designs and designers really, and the RPH style with cabins under the PH really nails it when around the 50 ft mark.

The Fleming has a finer bow entry than the GA, and I think the photo angle is deceiving: there is quite a bit of flare there. All that said, were I looking for a boat now the De Fever GA 60 or 64 would be near the top of my list. The 53 only drops off due to my 5'-itis.

What about twin Lugger 174s! :dance:

What about twin Lugger 174s! :dance:

Yes, very nice. I have JD 6068's rated at 201. Same block, and JD marinisation seems pretty good. Your Lugger's are definitely a big plus for your boat - even if you do have to wait until mid Feb to call it your own.

Very nice boat. I've admired that boat on YW before!

Congrats. Hopefully.

Make sure you close in time to make the Ft Pierce get together in Feb right up the road.....eveyone loves touring someones new to them boat!!!:D

Make sure you close in time to make the Ft Pierce get together in Feb right up the road.....eveyone loves touring someones new to them boat!!!:D

Details?

Sweet boat Menzies . Good luck with the closing . I still have a lust for the 49 alaskan woodie I looked at a couple months ago .

Survey, engine survey, and sea trial tomorrow.

Feeling optimistic.

Only issue is the forecast for Stuart tomorrow.

REAL snotty.

That's a lot planned for one day! I spent about a half day on each.

Hope the weather cooperates and all goes well!

Survey, engine survey, and sea trial tomorrow.

Feeling optimistic.

Only issue is the forecast for Stuart tomorrow.

REAL snotty.

To me there are some advantages to that for a sea trial. You've got the ICW for smooth but can run outside to see how it will handle rough seas. When the water is like glass, every boat rides well. Plus it's also more likely to show other issues.

Starting at 8am. Should be done mid-afternoon.

OK, an update.

Did all the surveys. It poured with rain and blew. Which proved no window leaks at least!

There were a number of engine room issues, none insurmountable. I had the surveying company (local Lugger auth.) give me the estimates for everything.

The hull was fine apart from a couple of issues - around 2 dozen blisters, and both cutlass bearing need replaced. Also a seal in the port stabilizer. Again, all fixable.

My biggest concern was the genset. The exhaust riser has a serious crack in it. So one of the engine surveyors had to sit and watch it while we ran it. Engine itself seems fine, but when we put a load on it the engine started to die - way more than it should for a 16KW genny. Also the hrtz ran between 54-60, which should not be happening. So that will have to be troubleshot.

So, we went back to the sellers and sent the surveys and asked them to do the work using our surveying company and we would go ahead with the original agreed price. Or we would agree on a reduced price and we would do the work. Of course there is some risk there re genny. We decided on the latter.

So we agreed on the reduced price and we close mid next week. After which the mechanics will start work and do all of the critical work (mostly seals, oil leaks, hoses, pumps, risers, etc.) and we will bring her back to the yard in Jax to have the rest of the engine room finished and the bottom redone. Probably at Lambs.

Congrats, Menzies! You're getting a great looking vessel! You must be thrilled....and a little scared.

The update sounds great. Issues identified, reduction, plan. I prefer the choice of you fixing the items too. That way you know if extra is run across that you'll fix it as well so the work will be right and complete. It will run more than you estimated but that's because along the way you'll find other small things. However, if the seller had made the repairs then you would have found those additional things after purchase.

What type of hull do these boats have? If I remember correctly, the GAs were powered to plane. I know this particular boat is not. But it is a semi planing hull or does it lean towards a modified V???

Oh man, you didn't pay good money for that. Tell ya what, you seem like a nice guy so I'll take it off your hands; sight unseen.

Beautiful vessel.

Congrats, Menzies! You're getting a great looking vessel! You must be thrilled....and a little scared.

Thrilled definitely. So is the missus.

Scared? Maybe not scared exactly. Moving from a 40 with big blocks to a 53 with smaller engines and a thruster I am comfortable with. Take her slow and see how she reacts and moves.

Where I am concerned is whether or not we found all the big stuff. I want to make sure that she is a safe vessel, and well found, when I am finished the work. I have a few bucks off the price to use, I just hope the other stuff I either find or choose to do (like rear and engine cameras, AIS on the bridge, its already in the PH, etc.). I also have a 15' AB RIB with a 80hp. I may consider a davit upgrade to handle that - if all of the measurements and supporting structure works out.

Of course I might be a bit scared when I see the money being handed over! :)

Back
Top Bottom