How To Load A Barge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Brother sent me this today. Watch at 1:50 where the guy in the white shirt gets clobbered by the bucket!

I load my barge all the time, but I sure don't do it from the side. Might have made it if he went for it.

Not sure where this is filmed, somewhere on the Asian subcontinent. I used to work in India and this type of disregard for safety was common. It's funny to watch in the video, but numerous people died on our construction sites. Wasn't so funny then.

Not sure where this is filmed, somewhere on the Asian subcontinent. I used to work in India and this type of disregard for safety was common. It's funny to watch in the video, but numerous people died on our construction sites. Wasn't so funny then.

Ditto. The thinking in third world countries is often resourceful, but rarely includes a plan B. When they fail, it's usually big time.

Never saw the excavator driver come out of the cab!

A few years back I was the tug driver when a company was loading a manlift on the barge I was to move.

Almost the same thing happened.

The manlift pushed the barge away from the dock and fell in but first catapulted the guy out of the lift cage onto the dock and broke his back.

Big legal suit...had to give testimony last December just as I was leaving on my trip.

While loading barges isn't rocket science...a few basic laws of physics are often overlooked.

Goof ups happen. I watched a truck drop its nose into the chuck as it was trying to leave the barge. There is quite a steep climb up the ramp. The forward motion, drive wheels, of the truck pushed the barge back once the front wheels hit the ground. Guess the tug didn't have enough power on forward to hold the position.
Once the truck dropped into the water even with full power they could not push the truck up.
Another truck had to chain up and help pull them up.

In the process with the full power of the tug the backwash was enough to fill and flip a Boston Whaler and another small runabout behind.

At least no one got hurt, just a bit excited.

Back
Top Bottom