View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #28
overgill
Veteran Member

City: boston
Vessel Name: Altair
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy
If the photo of the Fish Hawk is indicative of the over 30' boats you are talking about then I would say that is more on the commercial side. Could be that its more common in the commercial ranks. I am running a 32' trawler. and I have always been impressed with attention to detail regarding the running gear,i.e. bronze through hull fittings, backup wale bilge pump, manual backup tiller ect. Guess they missed that one.

My little bit of reading I did note in another forum a person having a problem getting grease into the fitting. It was recommended that he pull the system apart (rudder out) and clean
out the bushing. The assumption being the weep hole was blocked. As described the weep hole was like rifling spiraling down the fitting and terminating at the bottom. This tells me that it may not be a good idea to just add a zerk fitting to just any stuffing box. With out the weep hole it would not be able to purge.

Sorry not trying to beat a dead horse. I spent a bit of time looking and there is not a lot of info out there on this, even a search on this forum brings up very little. Just seems like a good thing to know about.

Thanks for the input