Marine Surveyors Victoria BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug

Vessel Name
Timeless
Vessel Make
CHB 34
Time has come for a survey of our boat for insurance purposes. Our insurance company has provided the following list of approved surveyors in the Victoria area. I would appreciate any feedback TF members can provide to assist in choosing a appropriate one.

Total Boat Marine Surveyors Ltd., Alan Betton- Sidney and Saltspring Island
Meadows Marine Surveyors Ltd., Bob Down - Victoria
Kenneth W. Rorison Marine - Victoria
Intermar Marine Services, Brian Whelan - Saanichton
International Offshore Marine Surveyors, Brian H. Beckett - Victoria
Lands End Marine Surveyors, Arthur Webb - North Saanich

Thanks for your help

We used Dallas Selman to survey our boat for insurance purposes and were very happy with him - very knowledgeable. He's located in Cobble Hill just out of Duncan but presumably covers Victoria.

If you are hoping to learn something about your boat your search for the best surveyor is justified. If it's just for an insurance quote. you probably know more about your boat than any surveyor that you hire to spend an hour on your boat. With so many to choose from you may be able to negotiate a price. My point being if it's a prepurchase survey you want the best guy you can get. if it's just for insurance whoever has the best price

Last edited:
Many years ago but we used Kenneth Rorison. He did a good job for us.

I've been sniffing out local surveyors for a few months and here's where I would go:

Hull:
Anyone at Meadows Marine Surveyors(250-655-0161) but Lachland MacKenzie and Bob Down as first choice.

Kelly Thody of Total Boat 250-508-4418

***If I were buying, I would consider Rorison but he is known for his "thoroughness" and might spook an unknowing insurance underwriter.

Since some of these names are on your "approved" list, their companies are, but I would still clear them with the insurer. Generally their "list" is not an "only these guys" deal.

Mechanical:
Ben Gartside of Gartside Marine (250-655-4543)or Darrin Dorio of South Island Marine (250-656-1405)

If it's a wood boat, contact Philbrooks Boatyard in Sidney for the current go to wood guy; (250) 656-1157.

Make it clear it is for insurance and they may lighten up a bit.

Last edited:
Lachlan did our survey in August. Good communications, reasonable price.

Bob Down of conducted a prepurchase survey for me. He did a fine job.

Graham George of Pacific Marine Diesel did the mechanical inspection and did a great job.

New purchase

I'm looking for a Pre-Purchase surveyor. Anyone have an update to these Posts? Broker suggested _ Jim Nordik, Martin Nautica, or Meadows Marine

Last edited:
In the latter half of 2016, I used Ken Rorison for a pre-purchase survey. He was very thorough, and was easy to work with. I was also happy wiith Ben Gartside for a mechanical survey. I am not sure if Ken has since retired?? Ken has been called "Dr. Death" by many brokers due to his thoroughness in finding most issues, with some deals collapsing due to this.
I walked away from the boat he surveyed, but that was due to the serious issue(s) Ken found, and that the seller refused to address (in a proper manner).

Lachland MacKenzie Of Meadows Marine has done our last two insurance surveys. We were very pleased with his service and professionalism.

Back
Top Bottom