Which Bow Thruster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, my shallow draft boat I put the thruster as low as I could and still when offshore the thing will ventilate when I am pulling up the anchor for diving or fishing. No windlass for me, so it's nice to have thruster to get right over the hook.

Put it as low as you can.

More information would be good, I`m considering installing an Exturn next haul out.
Any photos of it installed? Was it difficult to attach, does it require fiberglass work to create a base for it? Did you need to add any battery(I`m hoping to use the windlass power supply)? What wattage does it draw? Any discernible effect on performance/speed? Anything else you can pass on from the experience?

Hi, Bruce,

I'll get photos uploaded this afternoon from the home computer.

The install was very easy; it took more time to plan the electrical layout and control layout than to do the actual install.

We started the external thruster install on a Friday afternoon, and were completed by Saturday afternoon. This time included the drilling of the mounting holes, priming and painting of the unit, hanging the relays, and the physical installation of the thruster itself. I installed the Duplex model, so there were 2 2" main holes and 4 3/4" stabilizing holes drilled into the hull bottom.

For the electrical side, I installed 2 Optima AGM Bluetop batteries, a dedicated 12V charger, the thruster fuses, and power shutoff switch under the forward bunk. I did the electrical side of the install just before we hauled out, while the boat was afloat. This part of the install took about 3 hours.

We've had the boat out several times, and there is no difference in handling or speed I've noticed. The thruster is placed at the forefoot of the boat, and does not cavitate when in use. The thruster is quiet, and pushes the boat in a controlled manner. It is very effective in windy situations.

Install tips- Exturn/Yacht Thruster recommended that I plan the install in detail before hauling, and have wiring pre-cut with end lugs installed. I did so, and it made all the difference in the ease of installation. I used 2/0 wire for all power connection, with all lugs crimped and shrink-wrapped. Otherwise, the Exturn installation instructions are pretty straightforward.

Photos:

Yacht Thruster Powerboat Installations

Remwines,

The thruster needs to be well underwater, or it will cavitate especially if it's a bigger one. Once it cavitates, you are blowing air, not water and your effectiveness drops. Not to mention that cavitation can damage the prop on the thruster.

I would opt for the bottom of the storage compartment.

Stu

Hey Stu. If I have it mounted where I want it with access through the cabin floor, the center of the tube will be about 3' under water on a 4' draft. If I install it at the bottom of that compartment, it will be 2 to 2 1/2' under as the bow is rising in that area. I attached a picture take a few years ago during the pre-purchase/survey. The tube will be about 6" lower than the middle guy's hand and about foot more forward. If installed through the compartment, it will be another foot forward and 6" to 12" higher.

Bob

Attachments

• Haul out _ 2.jpg
    Haul out _ 2.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 52
Hey Stu. If I have it mounted where I want it with access through the cabin floor, the center of the tube will be about 3' under water on a 4' draft. If I install it at the bottom of that compartment, it will be 2 to 2 1/2' under as the bow is rising in that area. I attached a picture take a few years ago during the pre-purchase/survey. The tube will be about 6" lower than the middle guy's hand and about foot more forward. If installed through the compartment, it will be another foot forward and 6" to 12" higher.

Bob

Sidepower has excellent documents and YouTube videos giving tips and formulas for positioning the thruster tube. The deeper the better to a point, the further forward, the better, to a point. Recirculation can become a problem as well. I recommend downloading and reading, or viewing, no matter which manufacture you choose.

I used strong earth magnets on the inside and outside of the hull to plan out the tube location.

You have to allow for working room in the inside of the hull under the tube. Some poor soul has stand on their head to tab and glass or epoxy it in. A little room there makes the job easier and inherently better.

Keep in mind that a properly installed tube actually increases strength of the hull at the bow.

Bob

That looks like a great location.

I have a boat that matches yours; installed a Sidepower last year. It works great and has never given me a problem. I went with the 12v to avoid separate charger, etc. Everything that has been posted here is spot on. The yard that did the job calculated I needed the SE 80/185T. When I back out of the slip an need to make a 90 deg turn I have to stay on the switch for a long time (15+ sec). If I had it to do over I would have nothing less than the SE100 at 24V. As has already been stated, you can never have to much power. I love my Sidepower thruster but take my advice; for your boat go with nothing less than the 8hp. If you can afford it maybe one step larger. I promise, you'll never regret it. Good luck.

Sidepower has excellent documents and YouTube videos giving tips and formulas for positioning the thruster tube. The deeper the better to a point, the further forward, the better, to a point. Recirculation can become a problem as well. I recommend downloading and reading, or viewing, no matter which manufacture you choose.

I used strong earth magnets on the inside and outside of the hull to plan out the tube location.

You have to allow for working room in the inside of the hull under the tube. Some poor soul has stand on their head to tab and glass or epoxy it in.

Thanks. I looked at several of those videos and read the installation manual. I feel good about my preferred location. It will come down to the ability of someone squeezing into that tight spot. I would do it myself, but I'm not as agile and narrow as I once was. The magnets was a good suggestion and I have a couple that will do the job.

Bob

I have a boat that matches yours; installed a Sidepower last year. It works great and has never given me a problem. I went with the 12v to avoid separate charger, etc. Everything that has been posted here is spot on. The yard that did the job calculated I needed the SE 80/185T. When I back out of the slip an need to make a 90 deg turn I have to stay on the switch for a long time (15+ sec). If I had it to do over I would have nothing less than the SE100 at 24V. As has already been stated, you can never have to much power. I love my Sidepower thruster but take my advice; for your boat go with nothing less than the 8hp. If you can afford it maybe one step larger. I promise, you'll never regret it. Good luck.

Dixie Life: Thanks for posting this. I am going with the SE 100 in 24V. According to Sidepower specs, my boat falls right in the middle of the SE 80 range. But I would want to make a 90 deg spin in much less than 15 seconds. The SE 100 is about $1000 more and sounds like a wise investment.

Smart move, you'll never regret it. Have fun life is short.

This has been an incredibly interesting thread. I liked Sidepower but had not seen them widely discussed here and the overall positive response makes me feel even more comfortable with them. Also, liked the repeated warning not to undersize.

Hi, Bruce,

I'll get photos uploaded this afternoon from the home computer.

The install was very easy; it took more time to plan the electrical layout and control layout than to do the actual install.

We started the external thruster install on a Friday afternoon, and were completed by Saturday afternoon. This time included the drilling of the mounting holes, priming and painting of the unit, hanging the relays, and the physical installation of the thruster itself. I installed the Duplex model, so there were 2 2" main holes and 4 3/4" stabilizing holes drilled into the hull bottom.

For the electrical side, I installed 2 Optima AGM Bluetop batteries, a dedicated 12V charger, the thruster fuses, and power shutoff switch under the forward bunk. I did the electrical side of the install just before we hauled out, while the boat was afloat. This part of the install took about 3 hours.

We've had the boat out several times, and there is no difference in handling or speed I've noticed. The thruster is placed at the forefoot of the boat, and does not cavitate when in use. The thruster is quiet, and pushes the boat in a controlled manner. It is very effective in windy situations.

Install tips- Exturn/Yacht Thruster recommended that I plan the install in detail before hauling, and have wiring pre-cut with end lugs installed. I did so, and it made all the difference in the ease of installation. I used 2/0 wire for all power connection, with all lugs crimped and shrink-wrapped. Otherwise, the Exturn installation instructions are pretty straightforward.

Photos:

Yacht Thruster Powerboat Installations

I am also thinking of going down this path, and as Bruce & I share the same IG 36' hulls I think I will wait till Bruce takes the plunge and reports back.

Bruce have you got anyone in mind to do the install? I have been given a ball park figure of about $10K.

Great thread

... When I back out of the slip an need to make a 90 deg turn I have to stay on the switch for a long time (15+ sec). If I had it to do over I would have nothing less than the SE100 at 24V. As has already been stated, you can never have to much power ...

Takes me seven seconds with a 24-volt unit. :flowers:

Takes me seven seconds with a 24-volt unit. :flowers:

Hi Mark. Was on your boat last year. Loved it! What is the weight of your boat and thruster installed?

Bob

[/B]

I am also thinking of going down this path, and as Bruce & I share the same IG 36' hulls I think I will wait till Bruce takes the plunge and reports back.

Bruce have you got anyone in mind to do the install? I have been given a ball park figure of about $10K.

Great thread
I have to talk to the Exturn distributors, they are nearby in Lane Cove West, hoping to eyeball the product and get more info, like current draw, etc.The published info says run time is up to 5 minutes because the unit is underwater and dissipates heat, by then the batteries would be dead or my head spinning with all the rotations. Last time I spoke to someone about Exturn they`d not done a displacement type boat and had drag concerns, so I`ll find out about that, maybe they`ll do one as a trial/test(?discount). I`ll ask them for a fitting recommendation, no point reinventing the wheel. Unsure about adding battery, if I can feed the 1200w windlass maybe I can feed the thruster. I `ll post what I discover.
This year I anticipate slipping at Fenwicks at Brooklyn, they have an excellent reputation and good hardstand space; most people on Dolphin slip there.

Hi Mark. Was on your boat last year. Loved it! What is the weight of your boat and thruster installed?

Bob

The Coot is 14 tons. Don't recall the brand of its thruster, but it's my "master blaster." Use it every time I take the boat out, whether needed or not. Want to exercise it and assure it's still operational.

Enjoyed your wines and hospitality last year!

Last edited:
The Coot is 14 tons. Don't recall the brand of its thruster, but it's my "master blaster." Use it every time I take the boat out, whether needed or not. Want to exercise it and assure it's still operational.
Enjoyed your wines and hospitality last year!

I watched your video. It does spin it nicely. Anyways, much more wine and Delta travel to come. Just got to get the upgrades and re-power out of the way.

Bob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom