Newbie from Montana/Washington

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WD40

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Otter
Vessel Make
1985 President Sundeck 41
Greetings all and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year!
We are Helena, MT residents but are now making the commute as often as we can to La Conner, WA to what constitutes as pretty much every item on our Bucket List in one package.

We'd like to introduce you to the Otter.
She's a 1985 41' President Sundeck with twin Perkins 6.3544M (Naturally Aspirated).

This was one of the most scariest moments in my life seeing all 20 tons of her hanging in the air like this.
attachment.php

After spending a good month on the hard getting some needed maintenance done as well as fresh bottom paint and tuned props, I managed to get her over to her new slip and was able to back into it on the first try.
Gotta love the covered moorage. The Otter had been sitting outside for most if not all of her previous life.
attachment.php

Here's my first project. (Well, it turned out to be way later than the first, but I did finally get to it)
Steps and Dock Box Combo.
I added the railing a week after building the box since I would be the one that would come flying out without even thinking and go straight off and into the drink.:lol:
attachment.php

And look at this!
Santa Clause even came aboard the Otter this Christmas!
It was a rather special Holiday for my wife and I and Sadie to say the least.
The 13 hour drive over in the snow for 99% of trip was less than fun, but it was well worth it overall.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Haul-Out.jpg
    Haul-Out.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 547
  • Slip.jpg
    Slip.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 541
  • Steps.jpg
    Steps.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 510
  • Christmas1.jpg
    Christmas1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 511
  • Christmas2.jpg
    Christmas2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 514
Looks Great...Congratulations.

The moment you realize "we're actually doing this"!!

Happy New Year WD40 and welcome.
Nice boat. Great to see all the pics!
We expect 2016 to be our "year of the boat".
BTW are you by any chance related to Captain CRC?

BTW are you by any chance related to Captain CRC?
No relation...but now I'm curious as to why you'd ask.

Welcome aboard, Doug! That's quite a drive from Helena to La Conner.

Looks like Sadie is very comfortable aboard Otter. I get the same feeling of dread when my boat is lifted aloft but I take great solace in the thought that the lift carries MUCH larger boats than mine with ease.

I have come to love my Perkins engines as a simple, reliable and efficient power package. My 4.236's are essentially your engines with 2 cylinders lopped off. Non-turbo saves on some maintenance issues.

Like you, we have a covered berth and love it. Great protection for boat and crew and makes the boat more enjoyable and serviceable during inclement weather.

Congrats on your dream coming true!

Welcome aboard WD. Nice looking boat y'all have! Is this your first, or have you been boaters for awhile?

Yup, it's scary watching your baby sitting way up high on a lift like that. Most of us have been there, done that at one time or another, but that doesn't make it any easier this time or the next time.

Very nice boat! Enjoy your every day!

Welcome, that's a nice boat. your going to enjoy the Puget sound and the islands.

Montana to Skagit County commuting club

welcome WD, nice looking boat! Youve joined the ranks of many boat comuters in Anacortes and Laconner. Four of us in the Flathead, Two in Billings, one from Bozeman, and another one from Helena I believe. See you on the water, Bruce

WD-40,
We are in K-39 in LaConner. Live in Concrete and think it's a long way to our boat. Formerly in Alaska our house was about 8 city blocks from our boat. No problem if I forgot something. I could even walk back to the house and get it. Now it's an hour drive ... way different. How you go from Montana to LaConner I don't know.
I'll PM you my phone # for a possible coffee/meet but your time at the boat may be limited. Welcome to trawlering and LaConner.

Welcome to TF. The folks here have a lot of knowledge about boats! We are from Three Forks area (about 12 miles up-river) & have our boat in a covered slip in Portland. We too drove most of the way to the boat on bad roads etc. Have fun & Happy New Year.

Thanks for the Welcome!

Wow! Thanks for all the comments.
You make me feel most welcome here.

I can't believe how many other people are from Montana, yet traveling to the NW for their boating adventures.
With any luck we'll be relocating to Skagit or Whatcom counties in the not so distant future.

Is this your first, or have you been boaters for awhile?
I've had a boat since I could barely walk. :D
From the little rowboats and runabouts up at Lake Goodwin growing up, to having spent my high school days cutting my teeth on the "bigger" boats in our 1975 32' Bayliner. (One of their first ventures into the yachting world)
Great boat, but it did suck down a ton of fuel with the twin Chrysler 360s.

Both my wife and I are from the area (I grew up in Edmonds, and she in Everett).
We left quite a while ago for Helena to "get out of dodge", but it looks like we're headed back now after we swore we'd never live west of the Cascades again.
I'll have to eat crow with several friends/family members, but oh well, it'll be worth it once it's all said and done.

Last edited:
WD40, I have seen the style of Dinghy davits on your boat a couple of times, they look nice, how do you like them? I believe the are by Nick Jackson or Olssen how have they worked out for you?

Welcome from downunder. I think there is a cockpit version of your boat for sale in Tasmania (state).

WD40, I have seen the style of Dinghy davits on your boat a couple of times, they look nice, how do you like them? I believe the are by Nick Jackson or Olssen how have they worked out for you?
It's a RosKelley/Olsson (electric).
From what I've seen on a friend's boat, it works great and is relatively easy to load/unload.
But...we haven't been able to operate ours yet. The previous owner (bless her heart) is getting the dinghy repaired and detailed, and we haven't got it back yet.
I know Sadie is most anxious, since we can't go out for a very long cruise yet (let alone overnight on the hook). Hopefully the dinghy (we'll name it the Otter Pop) will be on board with us soon.

BruceK
"Cockpit version"? That would be a fully enclosed flybridge or an enclosed sundeck?
Just curious.

Last edited:
Welcome from the East coast! Joined the forum a few days ago and find everyone very friendly :)

Great looking boat and a great looking first project. We are in Bellingham and boat year round. I will PM you my number, give us a jingle and we can meet up on the water.

Bob & Jill

It's been since Christmas since we've had a chance to get on board Otter.
The withdrawl symptoms are definitely setting in. :(

WD, we're all familiar with the withdrawal symptoms you're experiencing. And Welcome to TF from one who lives a bit south of the route you take between your home and your boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom