Recreational Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
Good news everyone - the world has evolved and many (most) of us do indeed have "recreational trawlers":

Trawler
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trawler may refer to:

Boats[edit]
  • Fishing trawler, used for commercial fishing
  • Naval trawler, a converted trawler, or a boat built in that style, used for naval purposes
  • Recreational trawler, a pleasure boat built trawler-style

Interestingly, that disambiguation page was last updated more than a year ago. Just think of all the keystrokes that could have been saved if this knowledge had been widely available. :flowers:

Of course everything you read on Wikipedia is true, right? I always knew my twin engine, semi-displacement hull Mainship 430 was a trawler because it says so right on the side of the cabin.

porman,
That just means Mainship thinks so. Not even that it says Mainship wants you to think it's a trawler ... and of course it is.

Shew! I feel better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 97
Wikipedia just an easy source for students to copy information without doing their own research. While I agree that the term "trawler can rightly be applied to a recreational boat that has the lines and looks of a fishing trawler, I'm not counting on Wikipedia to back me up.

The real question of course is - Why would a boat owner who doesn't think of his/her boat as a "trawler" join and participate in the "Trawler Forum"? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. 99. Non drinker? "The officers' mess on a merchant vessel". Line #7 in the above Wiki reference I believe is one of several meanings listed.
As I have explained many, many times...After the evening repast aboard a passenger vessel, the gentlemen would repair to the saloon (sans ladies) to enjoy their cheroots and port. Quite a civilized and genteel way to pass an evening asea.
The use of the word saloon was applied to drinking establishments in the old west to attempt to give them some modicum of respectability. You've been watching too many Tom Mix movies.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_vessel

Wikipedia just an easy source for students to copy information without doing their own research. While I agree that the term "trawler can rightly be applied to a recreational boat that has the lines and looks of a fishing trawler, I'm not counting on Wikipedia to back me up.

The real question of course is - Why would a boat owner who doesn't think of his/her boat as a "trawler" join and participate in the "Trawler Forum"? Makes no sense to me.

WesK,
Have you been on a sailboat or cruisers forum? Most of the subject matter here applies to boats in general. There's a lot to be learned here and enough chat to have a significant social content. Also consider the fact that most TF members don't post.

WesK, I joined for the interesting conversations about anchors.

Cause we/I wanna! Nothing more, nothing less... :dance: :D

Everybody on this site knows what a trawler is. It is something to argue about and keep us occupied when we can't get out on the water. If a hard and fast undisputable definition should ever come along half of us could be disqualified to talk about trawlers. I for one ,know I do not own a trawler, but even my boat has a good deal of question as to what it is and has been called many things. Is it a Express-a Day boat- a SD cruiser-a Down-Easter-a lobster variation or a little bit of all? What I think is that the problem is the site name. it should not be Trawler Form since the word trawler is meaning less.

Agreed, except, being called "trawler forum" is the very reason it is so popular. Trawler denotes boating knowledge, apparently. Suppose we change the name to something like, "All Boats Forum". Probly wont get many takers.

Greetings,
OR...We could re-name to LRC forum which would equally "disqualify" most BUT then I'd lose most of my warped humor targets....

mog2.gif

My vote is keep it Trawler Forum. Who the heck REALLY cares? We all talk about boats in whatever shape, form, function, name or designation (as arbitrary as THAT may be).

kulas44,
You're absolutely right. Kinda like all chain rode. Has a nice ring to it. It reeks of heavy duty, smart, salty and kinda top of the line mentality. Heavy is the essence of "trawler" and all chain is the heaviest and most expensive option. Also it's obviously the most widely used anchor rode on real trawlers ... I should probably say "fishing" trawlers. And it kinda makes a lighter rode look like a half baked anchoring effort. The better choice (combination) is rejected as it dosn't measure up re the trawler image. The image is obviously very important to a lot of trawler skippers. When you go to the dance you dress accordingly.

Last edited:
How many guns does a trawler have to carry? Just kidding!

Even though my boat is not a trawler, the systems are the same. I want to cruise like you guys. I think this is a good fit for me.

IMHO. Proper forum name: Anything BUT a sailboat forum.

Some times my boat is a creeping canal "twaddler", sometimes nearly a speed boat, sometimes a slow displacement-speed cruiser, sometimes a pleasure craft, sometimes a party boat, sometimes a dock queen, sometimes a live aboard, sometimes a recreational inboard day boat, sometimes a yacht, sometimes a swim platform, sometimes a fishing boat... I don't use the word Trawler to describe my boat.

BUT!!! If anyone wants to call their boat or mine a trawler - that's fine with me! I simply just don't.

And, Trawler Forum as this site's name is A-OK. Sure seems to attract and keep as contributors plenty of "Boaters" from around the world and of different marine persuasions. Lots of info gets shared on TF. It's fun and informative.

"IMHO. Proper forum name: Anything BUT a sailboat forum."

Very limiting as Motor Sailors have a long history at ocean cruising.

Something not 1 in 100 "trawlers " can do.

Even though our boat is only 26 feet and propelled by a sterndrive, I joined TF, Cruisers Forum (lots of sailors), and C-Brats ( we used to have a C-Dory) because we're boaters and cruisers. And we travel mainly at only 6 knots.

In all these sites, there's lots of info about boats, boat equipment and systems, cruising areas and experiences, and more. Fun to read, lots to learn, and occasionally I can post something that might be interesting to others.

Even though our boat is only 26 feet and propelled by a sterndrive, I joined TF, Cruisers Forum (lots of sailors), and C-Brats ( we used to have a C-Dory) because we're boaters and cruisers. And we travel mainly at only 6 knots.

In all these sites, there's lots of info about boats, boat equipment and systems, cruising areas and experiences, and more. Fun to read, lots to learn, and occasionally I can post something that might be interesting to others.

Of course. Perhaps I should have asked why it was named the Trawler Forum in the first place since by some standards, our boats are not trawlers.

Trawler?

I don't think its so much about what makes a boat a trawler,as it has to do with how we use them. Slow and thoughtful, taking time to enjoy the boat and the surroundings

Ha ha! They're "Power Cruisers"...Everyone knows that!

img055-vi.jpg

The use of the word trawler to describe a recreational boat has always been foggy. Since the sales hype people selling new builds have realized the term can be an effective tool it has gone beyond foggy to meaningless. The word does seem to attract attention maybe it ignites some inner concept of adventure on the high seas in a authentic working boat? As for why I who do not own a trawler what ever that is, come to this site, it is because a lot of what goes down is about general boating interest and has nothing to do with the foggy trawler concept. That people are attracted to the site because of the trawler word all the better just like sales people use the word to sell their motor boats alias "trawler".

Back
Top Bottom