Victoria, BC to the Sea of Cortez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats a good long time in Turtle Bay. :)

Are you able to get provisions, like fresh local produce there?

Yes, lots of small grocery stores here. Seems like there's a different one around every corner; most are the size of a 7/11. The quality of the produce is okay, but not spectacular. Then again, considering we're in a small town on what looks like the surface of Mars, we're not complaining!

Update! Ended up departing Turtle Bay on the morning of the 28th, as planned. It was a great day to cover the 57 miles to Bahia Asuncion with two of our sailboat friends alongside us.

Made our first beach landing and found a great place for dinner (Mary's Luncheria) for the six of us. It was one of those restaurants where the owner is immensely proud of his food. He basically said "trust me" and brought out some very tasty fish with all the trimmings.

This morning we weighed anchor at first light (pleasant, calm anchorage by the way) and it was 55 miles to Bahia Abreojos. Used Charlie's Charts' recommended route to get through three reefs without a problem. The radar and depth sounder came in very handy to verify the accuracy of the electronic charts (they were pretty good for a change). Significant NW swell today, about 8-foot, if not more; not fun but we managed.

Shortly after anchoring we made our second beach landing and explored the town looking to arrange a tour of the nearby grey whale breeding grounds. We have an old guide book (2001) that said tours take place out of here but that is apparently no longer the case. One of the locals said we could only get a fishing tour.

Anyway, we found a grocery store and provisioned up. The departure from the beach was dicey but we somehow kept the dinghy from flipping (though we got soaked in the process) and motored back to Halcyon I.

It's now midnight and I'm up typing this post because we're getting hit by wind waves out of the NE (reminds me of Isla Los Cedros, but not as bad) and I can't sleep. Regardless, going to stay here two nights to let the ocean swell settle then the three of us are going to overnight to Bahia Santa Maria or Mag Bay. There's a southerly forecasted for the Sunday/Monday timeframe so still have to figure out where to hide from it!

The Sea of Cortez is so close we can smell it!

...then the three of us are going to overnight to Bahia Santa Maria or Mag Bay. There's a southerly forecasted for the Sunday/Monday timeframe so still have to figure out where to hide from it!

The Sea of Cortez is so close we can smell it!

:thumb: Your are having fun from what I can tell.

With any southerly component, I'd suggest Mag Bay. You can get out of the swell around Punta Belcher, a good anchorage or you can go a little further in an anchor in front of Puerto Magdalena. Both have easy beach access. We have stopped in Bahia Santa Maria and it's pretty exposed. You can get some winds coming down off the hills. Both are good in the right weather conditions though.

Here's a pic from Puerto Magdalena.

Attachments

• Pictures 134.jpg
    Pictures 134.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 121
I agree with Larry. But if you do decide on Santa Maria, there is a pretty good indent behind Punta Corso on the S end, that provides good southerly protection. Google Earth has a good view of it. Buen viaje.

I agree with Larry. But if you do decide on Santa Maria, there is a pretty good indent behind Punta Corso on the S end, that provides good southerly protection. Google Earth has a good view of it. Buen viaje.

We ended up anchoring in the north end as we got there before the forecasted southerly. It was a fairly quiet, uneventful overnight passage and the anchorage was quiet as well.

While in Bahia Santa Maria we surf-landed the dinghy and explored the beach. We were hoping to get over to the side with the village and hike around but we couldn't figure out how without hiring a local guide, and didn't really feel like going through the hassle.

The next morning we left at 0630 for San Jose del Cabo and now we're here! Four and a half months and we're finally in the Sea of Cortez! There must have been some serious current on the way down as we were making good around 8.2 kts at 1800 RPM for most of the day. Normally were around 7.2 at that engine speed.

It was ideal trawler conditions all day but of course as soon as the sun set the wind picked up from the east and we were being tossed around by 4-5 foot wind waves. We altered course to close the coast and reduce the fetch. By about 0230, the wind settled and the rest of the ride was smooth. No wind to speak of at the Cape.

On the way north between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo we had about 10 miles of short period wind waves (4 foot) so we slowed to 5 kts and took our time. We're now in the marina for three nights before we head on up to La Paz.

It was a slow start to the "Baja-Ho-Ho" (so-called since we did it over Christmas) with 10 days in Turtle Bay but we finished the last 450 miles in only six days thanks to some great trawler weather.

I can't believe we're finally here! It's 27C and humid. I'm actually going to have to install the fan in the cabin!

4C today in Victoria. Thought you might want to know :D

Yes, what a wonderful adventure!

Yes indeedy a great voyage. Congratulations, and many thanks for taking us along.:thumb:

I'm sure you have already found the Container Bar, great place to solve the troubles of the day, SJDC marina is a great place, I thoroughly it on my stop there in November. Have fun exploring the old town.

HOLLYWOOD

Congrats on your arrival! Let me know when you need the title destination changed again!

As proof, we'll need pics from the SOC.

I'm sure you have already found the Container Bar, great place to solve the troubles of the day, SJDC marina is a great place, I thoroughly it on my stop there in November. Have fun exploring the old town.

HOLLYWOOD

Yup, had dinner there tonight! I have to get my tequila brands down, though. Had a $20 margarita by accident!! Was tasty though.

Congrats on your arrival! Let me know when you need the title destination changed again!

As proof, we'll need pics from the SOC.

Will do (when we cross the Sea and head south, in a couple of months).

I can't wait to get pictures of the boat in the beautiful anchorages down here. We'll be hiking up hills for some great shots in the near future. Tempted to get a drone now that we're down here, but that's a good chunk of change that I'd rather spend on the boat!

Speaking of which, I'm going to see if we can get hauled out in La Paz to have my rudder post bracket and hull gland replaced. The bracket is severely corroded and there's salt around the rudder post, so I've obviously got a very slow leak. Not something I want to have fail in the middle of nowhere.

What a great trip. Can't recall, do you have AC? Once you round Cabo and head to LaPaz the temperatures by May will be up there.

Last edited:
Well done Vic! I enjoyed the trip.

What a great trip. Can't recall, do you have AC? Once you round Cabo and head to LaPaz the temperatures by May will be up there.

Unfortunately not. One of those things I will regret not installing... I wonder if it'll even be possible to get a unit shipped down here.

Congrats Mark and Eden! Well done.....

Thanks, Tom! It was like yesterday that you were waving to us from the dock in Asotria! We'll never forget your and Kay's hospitality. Hope things are coming together nicely for your trip up to the gulf islands in the summer. Been following your updates on Facebook, I think you've earned 10 years of good luck for all of your troubles this winter!

Unfortunately not. One of those things I will regret not installing... I wonder if it'll even be possible to get a unit shipped down here.

Once to LaPaz you'll be able to sort out the repair/install players. Lots of ACs in service there needing replacements or repairs. It has been too many years for me to give a recommendation, but you'll find lots of help and knowledge.

You'll have plenty of time before you'll need AC in La Paz or the Sea of Cortez. You may even be needing a little heat till April. You'll probably feel the water/air temperature change as soon as leave Los Frailes.

Here's a link for a service directory put together by Club Cruceros for La Paz.

Club Cruceros

Thanks, Tom! It was like yesterday that you were waving to us from the dock in Asotria! We'll never forget your and Kay's hospitality. Hope things are coming together nicely for your trip up to the gulf islands in the summer. Been following your updates on Facebook, I think you've earned 10 years of good luck for all of your troubles this winter!

LOL Lets hope so. I saw a video that Pacific NW Boater posted on FB about BC waters and it has me pumped for the trip.

Enjoy yourselves and wow what memories....See ya on the water.:thumb:

Hey Mark and Eden, a quick Hola Holla! Congrats on the trip, it was great to spend time with you guys on the trip down in Alameda and then pass you on the "open waters" rounding Conception. Maybe we'll pass on your trip back up-hill.

So what marina did you land at in LaPaz ?We came down with the Cubar,arrived in late Novand have plugged in at marina de LaPaz.

So what marina did you land at in LaPaz ?We came down with the Cubar,arrived in late Novand have plugged in at marina de LaPaz.

Also at Marina de La Paz. Slip 130, looking at the mega-yachts. Feel free to stop by!

Hey Mark and Eden, a quick Hola Holla! Congrats on the trip, it was great to spend time with you guys on the trip down in Alameda and then pass you on the "open waters" rounding Conception. Maybe we'll pass on your trip back up-hill.

Likewise! If you see us going up-hill, it will be on the back of a transport ship!

Tag you are it, stopped and left my card we are 336

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom