Helm Seat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex Sailor

I'm looking for a source of a " decent " ( nothing crazy or NASA grade ! ) Helm Seat for the fly bridge. Looking for adjustable / swivel / maybe ? slider, c/w pedestal etc.
If anyone has experience or can recommend a source I would appreciate it.

Tx. in advance, Frank B.

Check out "Todd" chairs at of all places Walmart-got mine wit pedestal and slider for under $400 shipped to my door.

Is there no seat on the flybridge currently?

You can spend from $200 to $2,000 on a seat. I suggest starting by going to West Marine or any other boat retailer in your area and seeing the different brands and models to narrow down what might suit your needs.

Personally, I find the ability to move the seat forward and aft to be valuable as I can get it out of the way if I want to stand. You can add this feature to a standard seat. You can also buy a post with a vertical adjustment but I find that I never move this once it's been set for me. If you are 6' 5" tall and your wife is 4' 9" tall, this could be a valuable feature.

Go to Amazon and search Boat Seats for A wide variety if offerings..

Check out Springfield Ladder Back 1061301. Good basic helm seat, sufficient size to accomodate my broad beam. Watch Walmart (yeah, I know) for a periodic sale - $195 each including a sturdy slider mounting bracket and pedestal. This will not impress your Pompanette or Llebroc friends, but it does the job very nicely. Still looks like new after 2 Gulf Coast seasons on open flybridge. Just reread the OP - has the swivel, pedestal, and slider. If adjustment means reclining back, no joy.

When we purchased our trawler it had a helm seat on the fly-bridge, a cheap plastic "brand name" seat. Not comfortable at all and was not very sturdy either (flexed a lot) only good thing was the base was adjustable and swiveled.
Went to a pick & pay auto junk yard, got a seat out of a van (think it was a Nissan) 2nd row seat. Built a small sub-frame out of 1" tube, bolted the seat to sub-frame, bolted sub-frame to old seat base, GREAT!

At 1st the Admiral thought I was crazy (and said so) BUT after she used it she tells everyone how comfortable and useful it is.

Swivel and for/aft curtesy old seat.
New seat - soft and comfortable, high back seat, dual armrests, seat back adjusts, dual cup holders (could also use seatbelt if needed). When done for the day seat back folds forward over seat bottom so easy to coverup.
The back of the seat also is flat with cup holders moulded in so it serves as a table top for snacks/ drinks.

Total cost.
Seat $15.00
Tube base (I built) maybe @$15.00
(Swivel seat base if purchased
new @ $100.00.)

VERY worthwhile project!!

That's great, kremek! There was another TFer a while back that did a lower helm seat from an Odyssey van. Power everything as I recall, but it was an interior lower helm chair. How's your setup holding up in the weather? Do you have any pics of your install?

I will get and post Picts as soon as I can get to boat. May be a week or so as I have to travel.

A Welder friend of mine went to the local Office Depot, purchased a "Office Desk Chair" and welded up the chair to the mount bracket of his boat. Looked real nice and at a mere fraction of those high end Helm Chairs.

we had some 20 year old flip down wise seats that were modified to fit our old tempo plastic bases. This year the bases finally dry/uv rotted to the point they er unsafe so I put down new springfield pedestals and Helm chair is Model MK-4NB Our newest chair model features a reclining back with adjustable or removable headrest and fold up arms. The contoured seat base features our super memory foam for the ultimate in support and comfort. This helmseat comes equipped with our slide and swivel assembly to fit any size pedestal or a flat slide system for any fixed surface application. Dim. 24 in. arm to arm OD, Height 24 in. & seat depth of 20 in. I wanted a comfortable reclining full backed helm chair with arm rests that would not break the bank. Now a stidd and ones lil it are considered the best this chair for a fully marinized chair is extremely comfortable and most of all affordable

MK Helm Seat Line

A Welder friend of mine went to the local Office Depot, purchased a "Office Desk Chair" and welded up the chair to the mount bracket of his boat. Looked real nice and at a mere fraction of those high end Helm Chairs.

No doubt someone somewhere is using an empty wooden packing crate for a helm seat.

Some folks take some sort of pride in doing things as cheaply as possible, some spend as much as possible. Most of us are somewhere in the middle. We don't want to overspend but we don't want our boats to look like they were built at Sanford and Son.

No doubt someone somewhere is using an empty wooden packing crate for a helm seat.

Some folks take some sort of pride in doing things as cheaply as possible, some spend as much as possible. Most of us are somewhere in the middle. We don't want to overspend but we don't want our boats to look like they were built at Sanford and Son.

That's perhaps the most uppity and arrogant post I've read here in years. You assume that because someone did it themselves that it looks like ****?

We had another Camano 31 owner here a couple years back with similar posts... Generalize much?

I looked for a long time for a good helm seat. My vessel has only an upper helm so the movement side to side from a big broadside from a big sport-fisher can be a concern. Numerous times I've been toppled from my four-legger helm chair, so whatever under-structure there was for a permanent mount would need to be substantial enough to bear my 240 lbs. on the end of a 36" lever (pedestal), plus the weight of the chair. Instead of trying to build my own chair, I looked for the heaviest structure I could find and decided on a Stidd 500.

Ft. Lauderdale area is an excellent choice to find high-quality take-outs among the frequent super-yacht refits. The wives might not like the color or the style of this or that, so if whatever it is happens to be easily removed, it is cast to the side and replaced with new instead of any effort to paint, re-plate or re-cover. When I first saw the chair I wanted, it was one of two vanilla leather Stidd 500 helm chairs taken from the same boat. Both were marked $2495, the first one of which was sold in days. The second one languished and after six months on the floor, looked like hell. I offered the salvage 900 bucks and prayed there was nothing seriously wrong with it. It took a lot of cleaning to bring it back to new looking, but there wasn't even a blemish. Later, I found an equally horrible looking SS foot rest for $60 which cleaned up perfectly, and a terribly abused maroon Stidd pedestal that needed a few parts to complete, but only cost me $90. I had to take the pedestal to a machine shop to shorten it correctly to preserve its adjustments ($325), and then I sanded and faired the powder coat as good as I could, finally finishing it in matching vanilla color enamel. All together, the effort took two years, a bit of patience and maybe $1500 for a near perfect example. Stidd, by the way, sent me the parts I needed to complete the pedestal at no charge.

A good, high quality, heavily constructed chair is possible if you're not in a hurry.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 311
That's perhaps the most uppity and arrogant post I've read here in years. You assume that because someone did it themselves that it looks like ****?

We had another Camano 31 owner here a couple years back with similar posts... Generalize much?

Ouch!
CP, if wes k was referring to the office chair idea .. I have a friend that did that on his boat almost 10 years ago... i have razzed him for the past 10 years on its look.. and I have never trusted it.
Sanford and Son is a good description...

HOLLYWOOD

My boat came with these 2 mystery chairs. I can't find any markings that might give me a clue as to who made them. I've seen them on other OAs and am beginning to think that Ocean Alexander made them. Does anyone know who the manufacturer might be? :blush:

Attachments

• Helm Chairs.jpg
    Helm Chairs.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 268

Seriously? The most uppity and arrogant post I've read here in years? You don't get around much, do you?

Lighten up, chill out.

BTW: Consider that an office chair is designed for primarily vertical loads. We seldom have rough seas or wakes in an office. 220 lb thrown side to side continually on a post could be a disaster.

Last edited:
My boat came with these 2 mystery chairs. I can't find any markings that might give me a clue as to who made them. I've seen them on other OAs and am beginning to think that Ocean Alexander made them. Does anyone know who the manufacturer might be? :blush:

If you haven't removed them from the bases, you might do this and look for a manufacturer's label or stamp on the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom