Winter Boating - Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
In searching the web I've found no double pane windows for boats...do you know any solutions for the massive heat loss and frost buildup on single pane windows?

There must be a better solution than that thin film stuff for house windows...maybe acrylic or plexiglass sheets cut to overlap the inside window frame, then temporarily affixing them somehow with airtight foam between the sheet and window frame?

Murray

I have a friend that used Lexan sheets cut to fit the inside of the window. He didn't seal them but did put some moisture absorbent in the bottom in a small container. I think he used the screws that hold the window in place to hold the Lexan. It worked so well on the fixed windows that they stay in place all year as the windows never fog with the Lexan in place. I plan to do the same with some of the windows in my boat.

Tom

Greetings,
Mr. MM. If I read your question correctly the thin film stuff for houses is actually pretty good IF you get a somewhat airtight seal with double sided tape along the perimeter and then shrink it with a hair dryer. You will then have essentially created a double pane with a dead air space between. Cheap and easy IMO.

The dirt house window film c an be 2 x the fun as it can usually be installed outside as well as inside.

Although it doesn't look great it will help with aluminum or bronze ports , which are also huge cold conductors.

Rugs on the cabin sole are also a big help.

Do not clear snow from the deck, its a great insulation.

Murray

I have a friend that used Lexan sheets cut to fit the inside of the window. He didn't seal them but did put some moisture absorbent in the bottom in a small container. I think he used the screws that hold the window in place to hold the Lexan. It worked so well on the fixed windows that they stay in place all year as the windows never fog with the Lexan in place. I plan to do the same with some of the windows in my boat.

Tom

Tom, would you be able to get your hands on any pics of your friend's setup. I would be very interested in that.

In searching the web I've found no double pane windows for boats...do you know any solutions for the massive heat loss and frost buildup on single pane windows?
Snap on Sunbrella covers work very well and if wanted can hold cut foam in place very easily.

Last edited:
I spend quite a bit of time aboard in freezing and near freezing temps.

A good furnace with fresh air exchange keeps the boat warm, and the windows clear for the most part.

Mike,

Unfortunately no. We are both away from our boats until spring. We'll look to do it then.

Tom

Last edited:
Replace with Mar-Gard Lexan or equal. No frost b/c less heat transfer than double glass. 10X as strong as tempered glass and 20X that of safety glass. Hard coated so will not scratch during cleaning/snow removal and wipers can be run on it. I did my windshields with it and love it crusing through December on Cape Cod. Good investment on many levels. Don't use RainX w/o some research first.

Hey Judy,
We don't have a problem w window fogging on Willy. No insulation either. There is some fogging while we cook w propane but we have no other source of moisture in the boat. We have a nice little fan on the "dash" to defrost the "front" windows but rarely need it.

Well, slap my ass and call me Judy! Good sleuthing :thumb:

Will give them a good looking over.

FWIW fellow RW35 owners just had all new windows (not dual pane) made for boat. Very nice quality I thought. They worked on her in Port Townsend most of last summer and did an amazing job.

img_400983_0_0eab867d4aeeb3bfeb096d786b559536.jpeg

img_400983_1_f0e167cd7be28df3658a93738a651590.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom