Christmas present story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
My wife and I were at a party a few months back, having some cocktails with some friends of ours, when someone mentioned that they would like to charter a sailing catamaran for a week in the Caribbean. I mentioned I had chartered some power boats in the Bahamas before, knew little about sailing (small boats), and could probably talk some charter company into a bareboat charter if they were interested.

So Christmas morning my lovely, beautiful wife hands me an envelope with a gift certificate for both of us for the ASA sailing 101 class. ?

Guess she's afraid of me trying to BS my way through sailing in the Caribbean.

Not a bad present. You must have been a VERY good boy last year.

My wife and I were at a party a few months back, having some cocktails with some friends of ours, when someone mentioned that they would like to charter a sailing catamaran for a week in the Caribbean. I mentioned I had chartered some power boats in the Bahamas before, knew little about sailing (small boats), and could probably talk some charter company into a bareboat charter if they were interested.

So Christmas morning my lovely, beautiful wife hands me an envelope with a gift certificate for both of us for the ASA sailing 101 class. ?

Guess she's afraid of me trying to BS my way through sailing in the Caribbean.

I am sure you would do just fine without any training...most of the battle is docking the thing...and it is no different(other than added windage) than docking your boat. But.....training certainly won't hurt either!!!

That's usually how I do things-- no training. She must be getting worried.

Dude, definitely a hidden message in there :)

My guess is that his Admiral is expecting him to be VERY GOOD now and for the forseeable future.

Sailing? Are you kidding me? Might as well put on a tutu and dance ballet.

Why not just charter a powerboat and be done with it? No need to lower yourself to taking sailing lessons. What would your friends say? :surrender::peace::trash::censored:

Last edited:
Sailing? Are you kidding me? Might as well put on a tutu and dance ballet.

Why not just charter a powerboat and be done with it? No need to lower yourself to taking sailing lessons. What would your friends say? :surrender::peace::trash::censored:

True friends don't let friends charter sailboats. :rolleyes:

Ted

The vast majority of chartered bareboat sailboats motor all the time anyway.

About ten years ago we chartered a 40 ft sailboat for ten days out of Tortola with another couple that had been many times . Most of it was motor sailing from island to island . The jumps from island to island were around 2 to 3 hrs each . We sailed out to Anegada one day , that was our longest sail . We wanted to go to St. Croix but it was first week of hurricane season and charter company said no even though the other couple had made the trip several times . It was fun but I would have liked to sail more since we were on a sail boat . I could have just sailed back and forth to Anegada the whole time . We only docked one night at a marina in St Thomas . A catamaran with ac would be nice.

A sailing class? Bah, we don't need no sailing classes. Anyone can learn to sail in an hour. Maybe less. Of course, you'll spend the rest of your life trying to get good at it! At least that's been my experience. :D

Wifey B: I think your sailing classes will be a blast of fun, doing them together especially. I like sailing except too much work involved plus a bit slow for me. But I just love sailing occasionally in some of the places we go. I think it's great the two of you are doing this.

Now, actually I think your wife was smart. She was able to give herself sailing lessons and get it to count as your Christmas present.

That's like a woman who bought her hubby tickets for two on a 102 day Crystal cruise. She wasn't pleased thought when he left on the cruise with his girlfriend.

She is excited about making a fun weekend of it, so really the actually sailing lessons are secondary to getting to spend some quality time with my sweetie.

And my sailing experience is only on Hobie cats and small monohulls, so I'm sure I'll learn something.

She is excited about making a fun weekend of it, so really the actually sailing lessons are secondary to getting to spend some quality time with my sweetie.

And my sailing experience is only on Hobie cats and small monohulls, so I'm sure I'll learn something.

Wifey B: Then even better. Just fun to do things like that together. A lot of fun and I'm sure there will be a lot of laughs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom