Chrome finish with spray paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
I have a Perko spotlight that has the chrome finish all weathered off. Any ideas for a paint finish? The metal is not pitted, just looks that way.

Attachments

• p-1.jpg
    p-1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 230
  • p-2.jpg
    p-2.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 232
My preference would be powder coating. Of course it would need to be pulled apart first.

Powder coat is great, and the way I'd go now. But on our last boat, before I "discovered" powder coating, I prepped, primed and painted our searchlight white. Cheap and easy and re-painting when needed is no big deal. Looked good, unless you need the shiny bling.

That's brass - polish it!

Spray aluminum paint , from alongside it will look fine as it does not show dings or flaws like chrome or reflective pain will.

A proper chrome plater won't show any flaws either let alone any prepped and primed coating. If deciding to go the powder coat route, I'd go with white or something that matches the boat color.

I have a Perko spotlight that has the chrome finish all weathered off. Any ideas for a paint finish? The metal is not pitted, just looks that way.

If chrome plating failed, I wouldn't give spray paint much of a chance of lasting for more than a year or so.

Get it rechromed, powder coated or just replace it. How much is it worth?

"WesK: If chrome plating failed, I wouldn't give spray paint much of a chance of lasting for more than a year or so. Get it rechromed, powder coated or just replace it. How much is it worth?"

Last time I checked on getting my 7" Jabsco searchlight re-chromed locally, the quote was slightly more than a new searchlight.

They are 2.5 grand new, mine is 30 years old. I'm going with white gloss paint.

I agree Terry,
Another option may decorative tin coating.

"WesK: If chrome plating failed, I wouldn't give spray paint much of a chance of lasting for more than a year or so. Get it rechromed, powder coated or just replace it. How much is it worth?"

Last time I checked on getting my 7" Jabsco searchlight re-chromed locally, the quote was slightly more than a new searchlight.

There's your answer.

I was ready to start sanding and tried some Bar Keepers Friend instead. This is 15 minutes later. I'll post a final pic when assembled.

Attachments

• sl-2.jpg
    sl-2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 93
all done.

Attachments

• sl-3.jpg
    sl-3.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 93
Bar Keepers Friend is available at any hardware store or supermarket. Also in liquid form.

Meridian, that turned out great! Can you post a picture or two of the controls for the spot light? Have you used it much at night? I am wondering how well they work. It is a good looking light.

I haven't used it yet as my handheld unit is much easier to use. I may sell it and use the space for solar panels. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451600004.147385.jpg

...my handheld unit is much easier to use. I may sell it and use the space for solar panels.

We're thing about doing the same thing, get rid of it and add solar panels. At anchor it's great but trying to look at anything under way is a pia. A handheld is much easier to steady on an object.

Scrub It

Ace Hardware and any decent hardware store sells Barkeepers Friend as well as Nevr-Dull.

Thanks for the picture of the control handle. It look like a nice install! How smooth of a control is it for turning side to side or twist to change elevation?

A handheld is much easier to steady on an object.

Echo that !!! Much more positive and quick. Hand held I have holds a charge it seems for ever. KISS

Al-Ketchikan

We're thing about doing the same thing, get rid of it and add solar panels. At anchor it's great but trying to look at anything under way is a pia. A handheld is much easier to steady on an object.
Slightly different take. I have the same spot as the OP. There have been a couple of times when the sun set before I was able to anchor. Traveling up the ICW in a canal, it was nice to be able to lock the spot in place on a spot a head of me and use it to see in an otherwise pitch black canal. By adjusting the friction clamp, you can move it but it will hold position when you let go. Sometimes you don't have that third hand to spare.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom