View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Chesapeake Bay Log Canoe Races

I got the chance to get out on the bay last week while visiting friends on the Chesapeake Bay.* We were enjoying a sail on his 35 Pearson to*observe the log canoe races out of Oxford, MD.* I had never seen these vessels before...and for those like me, they're slight vessels of little freeboard and minimal keel.* There are between 8-15 people onboard and about half of them must lean out on long boards to act as a counterweight to prevent capsizing.* When they come about, the boards and their occupants have to be moved to the other side.

As we approached the contenders, the wind picked up and the 5-minute warning gun sounded.* Almost immediately, two competitors capsized right in front of us, about 200 yard ahead.*

Once abeam the field, the starting gun sounded and the race was on.* We had front row seats with the race taking place*just off our port side.*

Click the pic below for the video...

*Another participant snapped his forward mast and fell out of the race.*

Others were bailing their boats like their lives depended on it, cause they did!!* These low freeboard vessels take on a lot of water when heeled over in the wind.* Check out the guy in this video.*

We hung around for one turn, then decided we better get out of their way in case their next turn headed them in our direction.* It was a great opportunity to see a nautical event very unique to this part of the country.*

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote