Where Have All The Smaller Trawlers Gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a cousin to Tollycraft. Monk have anything to do with design?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!!!!:thumb::thumb:

Sorry Art, wanted to add, while the length is comparable to the 26 Tolly, this boat is over bearing when placed next to the 26 Tolly. Wider, Hull is higher, and the cabin/ Fly bridge over towers the 26 Tolly.

Al

Thought you folks would like to view a Fisher with an about 4 foot addition. Works great for fishing room, crab pots, and such. Owner claims the hull speed is increased as well. Will add a second view, not able to figure out how to add two or more pics at the same post
Al-Ketchikan

The result of the extension took the stern sucking motion out of the equasion That I think was the improvement for hull speed in part.

img_400305_0_ae083e497a8f71b3f53be43edd545424.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Al-Ketchikan

Damn! Wrong Thread!!! AmJ

PC- Some place on this thread there was mention of a 'Lunch Launch". Here is ours- 1936 16 foot Polsbo Skiff extended near 18 feet. The hull has been glassed prior to our ownership. We have owned this boat from 1972. We had a ship wright many years ago, do the extension and add the Canadian gill netter style pilot house. Installed a then 6 HP Yanmar diesel. She makes 5 knots at 1000 RPM so no need to open it up!!! Burns a quart an hour.
Given that I could only have one boat, this is it. If you would like a few other photos I will add tomorrow (News Year in about 3 minutes from now local time) Al-Ketchikan

img_400311_0_50ae31da892cbb261b52e3d37a8dc822.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

PC- Interior photo-Al Ketchikan

Bow on- Al-Ketchikan

Inside the pilot house!- Al-Ketchikan

img_400314_0_c7e83a09a768f2fa094b84109cdc5e69.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tenacious

PC- This is the little tug we owned and replaced with the Marben. One shot below of the interior. Wonderful little WOOD tug and for an older chap,in 150 inches of rain annually, keeping it up became a hassle particularly after it took me all of three weeks, weather permitting to bring her up to standards. Then my neighbor shows up with a pressure washer and in no more than an hour goes home with a clean boat staring me in the eye!! Now I have a pressure washer and am not afraid to use it, to paraphrase a trawlerforum posters tag line.

img_400315_0_62c1b24647b81f39d153a1597e1bd793.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tenacious 2nd photo

img_400316_0_7bafff9369556bb27b78cd9b99bf15a7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tenacious-photo 3 Galley in the pilot house

img_400317_0_98fd8df6a3b840838d241c5c450bbeeb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Al-- Very nice Poulsbo Skiff and tug. To me-- to me-- your tug is what a small recreational cruiser should look like, be it wood or glass. It would take pages to explain the what and the why so I won't, but I like boats with a very specific look and 99.999 percent of production cabin cruisers don't have it, be it Bayliner, Tollycraft, Carver, SeaRay, Ocean Alexander, you name it.

This has nothing to do with quality or function or value for money. I'm talking purely aesthetics here. Even our own PNW cabin cruiser is barely tolerable in this respect. But your tug has the magic design elements despite its small size.

Since moving to this region in 1979 and becoming ever more aware of its nautical history I have been very impressed by the boats that were turned out in the US and Canada for the fisheries and forestry services. Some were fairly large, 60 or 70 feet and some were down in the 30 to 45 foot range. Most of them were one-off designs. But almost all of them possessed the magic design ingredients for truly aesthetic boats by my standards.

To me, the aesthetics of a machine, be it a vehicle, aircraft, or vessel are a major component of the enjoyment I get out of operating it. I could never acquire what to me is an ugly boat, which as I say make up the vast majority of recreational production boats these days. I will sacrifice interior volume or other "user-friendly" features to preserve my standards of design aesthetics.

So while your tug may not possess all the "dock condo" features, to borrow FF's term, of today's bloated tubs that most boaters feel are essential to have in order to enjoy boating, I'd swap the dock condo features and melted plastic look for the aesthetics of your tug every time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al
"So while your tug may not possess all the "dock condo" features, to borrow FF's term, of today's bloated tubs that most boaters feel are essential to have in order to enjoy boating, I'd swap the dock condo features and melted plastic look for the aesthetics of your tug every time."

They do have that, 'Je ne sais quoi' type of charm, I must admit.

img_400320_0_c2a00f0bb73655928bc000f346c99cb1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And folks, you see that I am coming along on learning to post photos!!

Al-Ketchikan:dance:
Al, thanks for posting a pic of your boat. Always wondered what it looked like from your avatar pic. Looks like a lot of boat for it's size. Very nice!

Ted

Sorry Art, wanted to add, while the length is comparable to the 26 Tolly, this boat is over bearing when placed next to the 26 Tolly. Wider, Hull is higher, and the cabin/ Fly bridge over towers the 26 Tolly.

Al

Al - You ol pictureffic fellow... now~!

Both Monks, Sr. had and Jr. has, a penchant for creating the most room they could inside boats regarding their LOA and their often pronounced beam... while still keeping the boat sea friendly in waves/currents and shallow enough draft for use in "thin" waters. One of the Tollycraft 30' models has the same cabin superstructure design as the Tolly 34' of same years. Makes for lots o' room and comfort in a 30'er. Not too pretty though in my opinion.

Ed Monk Sr. was great friends with Robert Merland Tollefson... AKA Mr. Tolly! Together they spent decades designing and improving Tollycraft boats; what a fun life! Mr. Tolly was responsible for most of the superstructure and interior design. Mr. Monk was responsible for most hull designs; as well they interchanged ideas. Monk Jr. became quite responsible for the latter Tollycraft designs.

Great looking boats ya show in picts... now that cha gots da magic! :dance:

Al,
Try going through this sequence of operations. If you have a printer, print out this sequence of steps so you can read it while your posting. I struggled to learn this myself so many others could benefit from this. Haven't looked at the TF directions for a long time and anybody trying to learn this should do so. Probably written by a computer savy person and usually they don't express computer stuff in a way that non-computer people (like me) can understand. Once you've done it a few times it's super easy.

Click "post reply" .. not "quick reply". Click on the "paper clip" up high. Click on "browse" in the new window. I put all the pics I want to post on the "desktop" and the i-mac goes to my desktop when I click on "browse". Then double click on the picture you want. Observe the jpeg or whatever to appear in the browse window. When it does that pic will go w the text when you click "submit reply". To post more than one pic go back to the browse window and double click another pic in the desktop. It will then appear in the browse box. Wait for the jpg number to appear in the "attach files" box down low (may need to scroll). For more pics on the same post keep your pics below 1000kb (mine are usually below 5 - 800kb) and upload 4 or 5 (pics) just as you did the first pic. Upload them by clicking on the little box in the lower RH corner of the box where you clicked on "browse". When you see them appear in the "attach files" box (down low) ... do the same for another 4 or 5 and upload them like the first bunch. You should see them all in the "attach files" box/window. Then post the whole bunch just as you would post just text by clicking "submit reply" just below the smiles. Don't think I've posted more than ten pics at a time but the above works for about ten.
I have an i-mac and don't know how different it would be w a non-Mac.

My camera takes 6MB pics so I have to down size all my pics. You may need to learn how to do that too.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with quality or function or value for money. I'm talking purely aesthetics here. Even our own PNW cabin cruiser is barely tolerable in this respect. But your tug has the magic design elements despite its small size.

Well said. My heart sings with appreciation for this kind of craftmanship....the feel of a real boat.:thumb::thumb:

So while your tug may not possess all the "dock condo" features, to borrow FF's term, of today's bloated tubs that most boaters feel are essential to have in order to enjoy boating,

I resemble that remark!

Thanks Eric, :blush: I have printed off and will collate with my 'Wizard's' instructions. :thumb:

Al-Ketchikan

I resent having our recreational boats labeled as "toys." Our boats are real and call for skill and maturity to operate. My last toy boat was a plastic tugboat I played with in the bathtub and water-filled road gutters.

I resent having our recreational boats labeled as "toys." Our boats are real and call for skill and maturity to operate. My last toy boat was a plastic tugboat I played with in the bathtub and water-filled road gutters.

Mark - Respectfully I say:

Shows your humor may have left but your memory hasn't... unless of course the plastic tug story was recent - LOL

And, if that is a recent story... I recommend staying tied to the dock in your Big Toy Boat!!

:dance:

Mark - Respectfully I say:

Shows your humor may have left but your memory hasn't... unless of course the plastic tug story was recent - LOL

And, if that is a recent story... I recommend staying tied to the dock in your Big Toy Boat!!

:dance:

Wifey B: I obviously think of toys much differently than you guys. :rofl:

Reactions: Art
A model, not a toy either: :D

Art your 201 .. hahahahaha

Mark I don't know if it was me but Marin sterted the "Toy boat" expression.

Going back to the concept of an OB powered trawler. The recent Marine Expo in Seattle had a display for a 200hp Diesel OB meant for HD use. I could easily imagine a 35-40 foot SD cruising boat with this rig.

Some people get their kicks from insulting other people on the Internet. Hiding behind a keyboard gives them a feeling of safety.

I made the mistake once of showing a photo album of my boat to some relatively new friends. Then I realized that my boat cost perhaps double
what their (mobile) home cost. And I have a nice home and the boat.

WOW Alaska is expensive !!!!!,

the last Uniflite sold here in our canal was 30ft something , had 2 good gas engines and went for $6,000.

Might tale $30K of fuel to run it to the canal, and up the coast to Alaska tho.

For East coast folks,, here in Gods Waiting room might be a good place to come and boat shop.

Craigs list and Florida Mariner would be a good place to start looking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom