Where Have All The Smaller Trawlers Gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can build light. When I built my 38, I paid no particular attention to minimizing weight, using plywood for bulkheads, adding extra beef to the longitudinals, and using double the glass in structurally inportant areas. Boat came out to 12500lb in light config, about 14000 typical cruising load.

If I used minimal structure, minimal glass, used foam for bkhds and interior, used a 1200lb engine instead of a 2200lb engine, skipped the 400lb gennie.... I could get the weight down to probably 9000lb. Scale wise, that would put it close to GH and their 6000.

It costs money to save weight. Both the materials are more expensive and more man hours.

The other thing to consider is that the tow ratings of even a new 1/2 ton pick up are much higher than they were even 10 years ago. You can option a F150/1500 to tow over 10k pounds. Would you want to tow it every week - probably not - hell I wouldn't want to tow a 3k boat that often not because of the towing but because of the ramp hassle and time suck. However, if we are talking about towing once in a while to move from one cruising ground to the other that it a whole different animal - and a modern F150 is more than civilized enough to act as a daily driver. You can even cheat on the beam a bit because the permit for a slightly oversized load is pretty easy and cheap to get in most states (nor are you likely to get cited if you failed to get the permit).

Coincidentally, I signed up on Pinterest yesterday. You have to pick 5 topic areas. Trawler? Nada. Powerboat? Same. Not sure what I did but now I'm getting pontoon boats. Ugh.

Keith

Try ski boat. lol. Or wakeboarding.

The other thing to consider is that the tow ratings of even a new 1/2 ton pick up are much higher than they were even 10 years ago. You can option a F150/1500 to tow over 10k pounds. Would you want to tow it every week - probably not - hell I wouldn't want to tow a 3k boat that often not because of the towing but because of the ramp hassle and time suck. However, if we are talking about towing once in a while to move from one cruising ground to the other that it a whole different animal - and a modern F150 is more than civilized enough to act as a daily driver. You can even cheat on the beam a bit because the permit for a slightly oversized load is pretty easy and cheap to get in most states (nor are you likely to get cited if you failed to get the permit).

Towing a large boat turns a 10 hour day into 6 and before long the pain of towing offsets the joy of boating. Where it's really the killer is the people who have half a day to go boating. The lake we lived on, except for fishing boats, the dealers would have to place a special order if you wanted a trailer. And that's for small boats. But when you talk about towing a 30' boat, not fun.

Last edited:
There are some folks who refuse to recognize any of our boats as "trawlers". To them a trawler is a fishing boat that engages in trawling (for fish).

I call my boat a trawler. I don't care what folks think.

And, there is no shortage of small trawlers on the market, both new and used. Just like anything else, you have to start looking.

It does if an outboard boat is rigged with trawl gear, Eric.:):):)

Ignoring the "trawler" term, I would say at least 30% of the boats here could have an equivalent powered by outboards with no problem. Now, when they were built, that might not have been possible. It still might not be preferable for most. Sea Ray offered a 370 Venture Express Cruiser with outboards but had no success. Pursuit has similar outboards. Seavee now goes to 43'. Contender just added a 40' Express. Intrepid goes to 48'. Now obviously those are not trawlers, but with outboard engines up to 627 hp and up to 350 hp through mainstream engine builders a lot is possible. I do believe we will see 60' outboard boats within 3 years. I say that, we already have outboard powered houseboats in that range.

We've also seen some interesting things in moments of desperation. There was a yacht purchaser who had engine issues in Florida. He owned his own shipyard on the gulf somewhere. So, he built a mount on the rear of the boat and added three outboards and took it home.

I remember seeing a trawler with an outboard engine on eBay years ago. Speculation was that it was a "dock queen" and could probably be moved from slip to slip.

I think the difference in torque, not horse power is what is keeping inboards the favorite power for trawlers. We are typically trying to move a heavy boat at a slow speed. Outboards are better at moving lighter boats at higher speeds.

Also, a slow RPM inboard is likely to have a longer service life than a high speed outboard.

And then there's the choice of fuel. For a boat we may be living on for months at a time, many of us would feel safer sitting on top of 200 gallons of diesel than 200 gallons of gasoline. And, diesel is more economical to operate.

There are some folks who refuse to recognize any of our boats as "trawlers". To them a trawler is a fishing boat that engages in trawling (for fish).

If you look it up in a dictionary, that's what it is. Somebody calling a toy recreational boat a "trawler" makes it one only their own mind. (Or in the mind of the manufacture's marketing person who attached the term to your boat in an attempt to convince you it has all the workboat attributes of an actual trawler which of course it doesn't.)

There are plenty of threads on this topic in the archives if you wish to discover the truth behind the toy boat use of the term "trawler." Pay particular attention to the posts from folks like Eric (manyboats) and sunchaser. Their opinions carry the weight of reality.

From Merriam Webster:

Full Definition
1 : a boat used in trawling
2 : a person who fishes by trawling
First use: 1629

I don't care what folks think.

Good for you. You're still wrong but one has to respect folks who stick up for their beliefs.:):):)

Last edited:
If you look it up in a dictionary, that's what it is. Somebody calling a toy recreational boat a "trawler" makes it one only their own mind.

Looking up "marriage" in the dictionary would indicate that it is a union between a man and a woman. You know how that goes.

Words change in meaning over time and the new meaning is accepted as the meaning. Remember what "gay" used to mean?

So is your boat a true "trawler" in the traditional sense of the word? How about the rest of the member's boats" Why is this the "Trawler Forum" if our boats are not true trawlers?

As far as being a "toy" boat", for what I paid for it and what I use it for, it's no more a "toy" than my car or truck (or my home).

Reactions: Al
No, our Grand Banks is no more a trawler than our 17' Arima fishing boat or the rubber duck in our bathtub. To their credit, American Marine never called their Grand Banks lne of boats "trawlers" either.

Yes, language evolves but with a large degree of common sense applied to it. By your "rules" the photo below is of our pet anteater.

BTW the definition of marriage has not changed. It is still the union of two human beings. All that's changed is who the human beings can be.

The word "trawler" is no different. It is a term for a type of fishing boat. Like "marriage," that fishing boat can be any number of things: a power boat, a sailboat, a cabin cruiser, an outboard powered boat, a rowboat... The type and configuration of the boat is irrelevant, just as the type and configuration of the humans in a marriage is irrelevant to the definition of the term. The only thing of relevance to the use of the term "trawler" is the installation and use of trawl gear. If it's there, the boat is a trawler. if it's not there, the boat is not a trawler.

And it doesn't matter how much a recreational boat costs, it's still a "toy boat" in the eys of reality.:):):)

Also from Merriam Webster:

Toy
: something that an adult buys or uses for enjoyment or entertainment

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I remember seeing a trawler with an outboard engine on eBay years ago. Speculation was that it was a "dock queen" and could probably be moved from slip to slip.

I think the difference in torque, not horse power is what is keeping inboards the favorite power for trawlers. We are typically trying to move a heavy boat at a slow speed. Outboards are better at moving lighter boats at higher speeds.

Also, a slow RPM inboard is likely to have a longer service life than a high speed outboard.

And then there's the choice of fuel. For a boat we may be living on for months at a time, many of us would feel safer sitting on top of 200 gallons of diesel than 200 gallons of gasoline. And, diesel is more economical to operate.

There are outboards with very high torque designed for work boats. Mercury calls their commercial line "SeaPro". Yamaha has a High Thrust series.

Engine life would be an issue but not to the average user and when one dies you just clamp another on.

Hi to all,
Happy New Year to Everyone!
I have been shopping for a used entry level cruiser in the $50,000 range and have found several 31 to 39 foot cruisers all built between 1988 and 1996.
I really like the layout of the 31 & 34 Mainship sedan Bridge boats built between 1995 & 1999. In fact I have a 1996 Mainship 31 under contract. As soon as it's rebuilt gas engines are installed and checked out I will take ownership.
I have also run across a Mainship 34 for $10,000 more. I like the extra size particularly in the cabin. The benefits of the slightly older 31 are that it will have newly rebuilt twin gas engines and as a solo captain it will be easier to cruise. The 34 is 3 years newer but it's engines have many hours on them. The 31 has gas engines and the 34 has Diesel engines. Both are well maintained and nicely appointed. The 31 comes with its own dingy and its owners say they will assist me via phone advice if and when I experience that "strange noise" that I cannot find its source.
I appreciate any advice y'all are willing to share about these boats as I make my final selection. I have read a lot of the threads regarding gas vs Diesel engines as well as single vs twins. Frankly as a gas boat owner al, my life I have no preference of one over the other. I will only buy a twin engine powered boat to go off shore. And I intend to cruise the entire Caribbean while I am physically able to do so.
BTW: I have seen several Carvers and Silvertons with the bridge to bow cut and built in steps that I find very appealing...considering I will be a solo cruiser most of the time.
Thanks
Tebeau169

Hi to all,
Happy New Year to Everyone!
I have been shopping for a used entry level cruiser in the $50,000 range and have found several 31 to 39 foot cruisers all built between 1988 and 1996.
I really like the layout of the 31 & 34 Mainship sedan Bridge boats built between 1995 & 1999. In fact I have a 1996 Mainship 31 under contract. As soon as it's rebuilt gas engines are installed and checked out I will take ownership.
I have also run across a Mainship 34 for $10,000 more. I like the extra size particularly in the cabin. The benefits of the slightly older 31 are that it will have newly rebuilt twin gas engines and as a solo captain it will be easier to cruise. The 34 is 3 years newer but it's engines have many hours on them. The 31 has gas engines and the 34 has Diesel engines. Both are well maintained and nicely appointed. The 31 comes with its own dingy and its owners say they will assist me via phone advice if and when I experience that "strange noise" that I cannot find its source.
I appreciate any advice y'all are willing to share about these boats as I make my final selection. I have read a lot of the threads regarding gas vs Diesel engines as well as single vs twins. Frankly as a gas boat owner al, my life I have no preference of one over the other. I will only buy a twin engine powered boat to go off shore. And I intend to cruise the entire Caribbean while I am physically able to do so.
BTW: I have seen several Carvers and Silvertons with the bridge to bow cut and built in steps that I find very appealing...considering I will be a solo cruiser most of the time.
Thanks
Tebeau169

It sounds like you've considered all the issues appropriately. You've heard the arguments both ways. I'm only confused by you saying you have one boat under contract and then talking about making your final selection. Under contract implies you did already.

You considered the pros and cons. Now, just enjoy.

Looking up "marriage" in the dictionary would indicate that it is a union between a man and a woman. You know how that goes.

Words change in meaning over time and the new meaning is accepted as the meaning. Remember what "gay" used to mean?

So is your boat a true "trawler" in the traditional sense of the word? How about the rest of the member's boats" Why is this the "Trawler Forum" if our boats are not true trawlers?

As far as being a "toy" boat", for what I paid for it and what I use it for, it's no more a "toy" than my car or truck (or my home).

WK - Do you need your boat such as you may need a car, truck, or house? Well, you may need the boat because you use it for income via net or line fishing; then it is not a toy and it is a trawler! If you use the boat for enjoyment only... then it is a Pleasure Boat, not a trawler... and you do not need it in the same way as car, truck, house!

Be careful... If an accident can be proven to have occurred due to (or even been assisted by because of) a non permitted item's width on the road... well, think about how the the verdict could turn out on that case.

Last edited:
Be careful... If an accident can be proven to have occurred due to (or even been assisted by because of) a non permitted item's width on the road... well, think about how the the verdict could turn out on that case.

Fair point - and my tolerance to risk is rather low so I wouldn't do it (I don't let my girlfriend drive the rental car in my name either - I tell her its because of liability...;-) - however I do know that it is pretty standard practice to tow over width center consoles (particularly in Florida) without pulling the permit and it is rarely an issue. The absence of tie down straps is much more likely to get you nailed, especially on HWY 1.

Diameter or pitch?

Band-B,
I would think a 22" prop would definitely be 22" in dia.

WesK,
I don't think torque is of much value on a trawler. At least pushing the boat. Horse power is what pushes the boat. But the concept of a heavy trawler fits the big slow turning engine. Dosn't push the boat any better but fit the concept much better. And for the OB engine it probably will last longer than most old trawler drivers have time to drive them. But Wes has a point ..... trawler props should be fairly large both to align w the concept of a trawler and to drive it well. And if it's fast of course it isn't a trawler.

Band-B,
I would think a 22" prop would definitely be 22" in dia.

WesK,
I don't think torque is of much value on a trawler. At least pushing the boat. Horse power is what pushes the boat. But the concept of a heavy trawler fits the big slow turning engine. Dosn't push the boat any better but fit the concept much better. And for the OB engine it probably will last longer than most old trawler drivers have time to drive them. But Wes has a point ..... trawler props should be fairly large both to align w the concept of a trawler and to drive it well. And if it's fast of course it isn't a trawler.

I didn't want to guess what he meant. I'm not aware of 22" diameter props on outboards but that doesn't mean they aren't there. What is more common is adding blades and using different designs. I'm not an expert on outboards but typically 16 inches or so is a large diameter.

Still I see no difficulty in designing an outboard setup to power a 45-50' trawler type boat. It would be done with multiple outboards making up whatever the desired hp since the commercially set up work type engines are typically not in the largest hp.

I'd like to weigh in, if I may RE: lack of affordable small boats. Three years ago, I followed this advice in a boating forum: "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford. Buy the smallest boat you can live aboard". My boat? A 2003 Rosborough RF-246 on which I've spent the last three summers. Based on Cape Cod, I've taken her to Canada, Maine, Long Island Sound, as well as enjoying local waters. While not luxe, the Rossi is very comfortable, has a full galley, adequate sleeping and dining arrangements, and a generous covered cockpit. Fuel, maintenance and storage are well within my budget, and I don't spend a lot of time at dock. For those interested, Eastern Boats now is producing the Rosborough, and offering three cabin configurations. Oh, and the Rossi holds it price well. A pre-owned Rossi seldom stays on the market for long. Happy New Year.
Co-Captain - Grumpy Old Men '03 Rosborough RF-246

WK - Do you need your boat such as you may need a car, truck, or house? Well, you may need the boat because you use it for income via net or line fishing; then it is not a toy and it is a trawler! If you use the boat for enjoyment only... then it is a Pleasure Boat, not a trawler... and you do not need it in the same way as car, truck, house!

This whole argy bargy about what is a trawler or not goes away if you just stick the word 'style' in there. (Most of) our boats are just 'trawler style' coastal cruisers...period.
;)

This whole argy bargy about what is a trawler or not goes away if you just stick the word 'style' in there. (Most of) our boats are just 'trawler style' coastal cruisers...period.
;)

I'll go with that!

But...

Trawler Style Forum.... might not float. And, "Trawler Style" could be one too many words for Madison Av. type marketers.

I'll go with that!

But...

Trawler Style Forum.... might not float. And, "Trawler Style" could be one too many words for Madison Av. type marketers.

Wifey B: Plus it won't p.... off you know who....:lol:

I'd like to weigh in, if I may RE: lack of affordable small boats. Three years ago, I followed this advice in a boating forum: "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford. Buy the smallest boat you can live aboard".

This concept serves a number of us in the smaller boat class, I'd say Trawler, but- - - - - -
When we sold our 30 foot tug, we thought about moving up in size to gain additional comfort associating that with increased room. However a driving consideration was the known time frame for being on stall rental in the 32-38 foot range and not wanting to be moved around on a temporary basis till a stall was available and reasonably placed within the harbors, I chose to retain our 30 foot stall and find a boat that would serve. We did. As we are a couple and not known to gather a crowd when we boat, a sleeping accomadations with the normal bow bunks worked well, Yes, we have a fold out settee for those rare needed times. So we DOWN Sized to a 27 foot rig and think we did well.

img_400288_0_c2a00f0bb73655928bc000f346c99cb1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And folks, you see that I am coming along on learning to post photos!!

Al-Ketchikan:dance:

Congratulations Al, have been waiting for a photo of your boat when it wasn't so camera shy. Looks roughly comparable to the Prairie 29.

Congratulations Al, have been waiting for a photo of your boat when it wasn't so camera shy. Looks roughly comparable to the Prairie 29.

Thankeeee:thumb::flowers:

But Art, when along side the 26 foot Tolly, it is very over bearning in all departments'
wider, higher hull, house and fly bridge tower over the 26.

Al

Last edited:
I'd like to weigh in, if I may RE: lack of affordable small boats. Three years ago, I followed this advice in a boating forum: "Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford. Buy the smallest boat you can live aboard".

This concept serves a number of us in the smaller boat class, I'd say Trawler, but- - - - - -
When we sold our 30 foot tug, we thought about moving up in size to gain additional comfort associating that with increased room. However a driving consideration was the known time frame for being on stall rental in the 32-38 foot range and not wanting to be moved around on a temporary basis till a stall was available and reasonably placed within the harbors, I chose to retain our 30 foot stall and find a boat that would serve. We did. As we are a couple and not known to gather a crowd when we boat, a sleeping accomadations with the normal bow bunks worked well, Yes, we have a fold out settee for those rare needed times. So we DOWN Sized to a 27 foot rig and think we did well.

img_400299_0_c2a00f0bb73655928bc000f346c99cb1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And folks, you see that I am coming along on learning to post photos!!

Al-Ketchikan:dance:

Looks like a cousin to Tollycraft. Monk have anything to do with design?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom