View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
Insequent
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Yes, the fat cat has to move! I would only tolerate it if it were one-off, emergency or overnight AND I did not need to leave and re-enter my berth.

Take a look at the sub-lease for you own berth. I would expect there to be reference to the maximum beam for a vessel in the berth. I think normal is 0.75 m less than the width of the berth lease. Based on your info, max allowable beam for a boat occupying the berth would then be 5.75m.

Assuming 0.3m for fenders then this leads to 0.9m gap between two maximum sized boats in the berths. About the gap you say you now have. Your marina might take this approach, saying the 0.9m you have is acceptable. But I would still not be willing to tolerate it.

In any event, your approach is what I would do: polite, but firm.

Around Brisbane the approach to oversize varies a lot. My home marina (Dockside at Kangaroo Point) is quite flexible. It has only one officially designated cat berth, but always has visiting cats, some fairly long term. They need to encroach onto the adjacent berth. The Manager seeks approval of both berth owners to put a cat in there, and each receives 75% of normal rental. Sometimes a shorter skinny boat can use the remaining space, giving berth owners full return, but not often.

Rivergate Marina was going to allow me to occupy a 15m berth even though I need at least 16m. I was there for a short period, and they always seem to have overlength boats in some berths. Its about occupancy and rent income.....

On the other hand, Raby Bay Marina and I believe the various marinas at Manly and Scarborough/Newport are very strict: you must be at or under the limits, including allowance for fenders and clear space to adjacent boat. Such places usually say 'insurance requirement', which may or may not be the reality. But I think it is the correct approach. I think you have a solid footing given you own your sub-lease, but I would read both it and the Head Lease document as a first step.