Winter Boating - Doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Badger has uninsulated, single layer teak pilothouse doors that slide in a metal channel at the bottom, and there's wide gaps between the door and pilothouse.

They suck when the wind is up, it's snowing, and they get frozen shut...not a good scenario if you need to get out fast for any reason.

Rather than try and fix them for winter boating, I'd rather start afresh with new, insulated, sliding (from above on rollers) doors that have weather/wind stopping ability and can be "snugged up" to the pilothouse for seriously cold weather. (Ocean doesn't freeze here but smaller bays with fresh water creeks do.)

Also looking for a companionway door of the same cold weather abilities. Here's one that looks good;
American Marine, Inc. | Model 320/325 - Companionway Door

...and this door (model 300X) looks good for the pilothouse;
marine innovations

Anybody know of any solutions/manufacturers that might help?

I'm looking for a similar solution- subscribing.

I do not believe any sliding solution will work as breathing creates condensation that freezes on cold metal, sometimes jamming the door.

A hinged water tight door might not be as pretty , and the swing space is a PIA , but at least you can get in and out.

Does the company you are looking at create the door to your specs or do you have to trim the boat to their offering?

Less pretty aluminum WT doors are made to your size for commercial vessels.

Last edited:
I've been on 2 Krogens that had Diamond Sea Glaze doors installed. What an upgrade and the owners were both pleased. Something we're considering. Keep us posted.

Sliding doors - I have 4. Their advantage is space - they take up none. The disadvantage is figuring out how to seal them. Too much weather stripping and you need a come-along to open them. Rollers will make them slide capriciously in a sea which is a hazard, then they need catches or locks. When mine were poorly sealed, the wind howled through them and we never fogged up. I sealed them so no (little) wind came through, with single glazed windows we now fog up a lot; you will have to figure out a moisture-management plan at the same time you seal your doors. Dorades?

How about canvas covers on the outside? Held on the opening side by Velcro? I found it was only the upwind side that allowed the wind to howl through so only one need be sealed if you are at a dock. At anchor, haven't tried my solution yet.

Diamond Sea Glaze doors are great but cost LOTS of boat dollars, without looking too close at your boat, no swing space for them?

Can you post a picture?

Last edited:
On our boat both the side and rear are sliding teak doors. The distance from the door to the cabin side was not uniform in distance with side door being worse. I purchase two length of these brush door sweeps and cut off the aluminum tang for the screws so the brush just had a square channel holding them. Took the doors off and routered a groove just big enough for the brush holder to fit in the length of the door on the inside where it slightly past the frame so the brush bent slightly when closed and trimmed the brush length slightly. Used a little sealant to hold it in place, boat now has no drafts at the doors and has made a HUGE difference......

On our boat both the side and rear are sliding teak doors. The distance from the door to the cabin side was not uniform in distance with side door being worse. I purchase two length of these brush door sweeps and cut off the aluminum tang for the screws so the brush just had a square channel holding them. Took the doors off and routered a groove just big enough for the brush holder to fit in the length of the door on the inside where it slightly past the frame so the brush bent slightly when closed and trimmed the brush length slightly. Used a little sealant to hold it in place, boat now has no drafts at the doors and has made a HUGE difference......
That's what we did when we rebuilt doors and track . I got the materials for sweep at macmaster carr

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 87
My slider is uneven in clearance down the aft side too, I was considering something like the door sweeps to slow the flow. It's good to know that idea has worked for someone! It's only really bad when the wind and spray are pounding that side of the boat, winter here is too cold to want to be out there.

Back
Top Bottom