Air Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gonesailing13

Vessel Name
Graceful
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
I have a Lehman135 that I noticed does not have an air filter. The holder is there but has nothing inside. I'm guessing it's just a foam filter that should be there but can't find any on-line. Anyone know where to get one ?

I have a Lehman135 that I noticed does not have an air filter. The holder is there but has nothing inside. I'm guessing it's just a foam filter that should be there but can't find any on-line. Anyone know where to get one ?

American Diesel or Bomac Maine both sell them or you can make your own using the foam filter from a shop vac. The box home stores have them and then you cut to size. The filter is only for large particulate. It does not fill the holder but just goes around the outside. Its about 1/4" thick. You will have to cut a hole on the back side for the breather

Attachments

• Hobo Complete 113a.jpg
    Hobo Complete 113a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 82
I replaced the factory filters on the Hinos with K&N filters, they will stop a lot more than the originals.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I have a truck filter on my engine but it's not like you're dragging your boat down gravel roads...it might stop small animals or wrenches getting sucked in...

The real use for a filter setup on a diesel in a bilge is to control intake noise.

Different from the need for the donor engine from a truck or yard implement.

But nice filters are on the vehicle and lawn versions of the engine , if you can fit it in the space below.

Looked this morning in the ER after ours. (Shame on me, never thought of air filters on our boat engines although making diligently all the maintenance and service jobs year by year.)

Here is what I found:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451570511.486590.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451570529.207971.jpg
No filter element inside. Found in the www some like this foam element:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1451570715.748024.jpg

FL experts:
Is there really a need for a filter element in the ER of a boat (no dust, no aerosols etc.)?

If yes, how to prevent such a foam strip from collapsing in the air flow if it is just put inside of this box? (Calculated 6.2 liters x 2'500 rpm / 4 cycles = 3'875 liter / minute air flow at wot, should be a flow velocity of 2 meter / second through the surface of the filter!)

Or is such a foamy element put around meaning outside of the filter box?

Thanks for your advice!

best regards / med venlig hilsen
wadden

Filter

On the 135 it goes around the outside perimeter. Just slips over. Shop Vac foam filters cut to size work great and you get 2-3 from a filter.

IMO, you should at least the foam filter to keep the big stuff out. And if you boat in salt water to perhaps help keep the salt in the air out as well.

Thanks. Will try to get some suitable foam and cut it to size.

wadden

Greetings,
Mr. w. The filter shown in your post #6 goes on the outside of your filter housing. Meaning the foam is supported from collapse by the metal mesh. I would recommend putting one on. They last for a number of years and it will keep the bees out of your Lehman internal workings...
giphy.gif

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456579637.550231.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1456579652.047850.jpg
Done. Found filter elements for a vac cleaner, 10 elements for 6 Euro ...

Wadden

Back
Top Bottom