V-Drive Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starboard70

If anyone is familiar with mid 70's Tolly 34 sedans, I have a question regarding removal of the port v-drive. My 1974 has twin Chrysler 340's and I need to remove the port v-drive and would like to avoid pulling the engine as a mechanic told me was necessary. Can the v-drive be removed with the engine in place?

We have an 80 34 Sedan Tolly. My Mechanic tells me yes. How...no idea..

G/L MB

M/B

Thanks for the information! I was hoping I did not have to pull the engine, but will have to drop the outboard exhaust manifold to get my big butt back to the v-drive and did not want to do that if it were not possible. I will keep looking for more specifics.

Happy 2016

Jeff

Jeff sorry I couldn't be of more help

Maybe the mechanic wants to renew the packing while he's at it.
Seen plenty of installations where pulling the engine is the only way to address that unless you're a midget with three left hands and extremely long double-jointed arms.
It may well be easier to remove the trans with the engine, I would leave that to the discretion of a knowledgeable mechanic who is familiar with your rig.
Besides, you did want to repaint that part of the bilge this winter, right?
And touch up those rust spots on the oil pan, and check the bolts on the motor mounts, and a whole bunch of other things that won't happen with the engine in place.

Back
Top Bottom