Ice Makers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Falls

Vessel Name
Peapod
Vessel Make
Monk 36
Looking for advice on ice makers for our 36' Monk. The upright fridge makes ice but works too hard to the detriment of the main fridge.

There are 2 types of 110v ice makers I see.
1) those that make cubes and drop them in a bucket but don't store the ice. You must dump it in a cooler. Manual fill. Under $400.
2) those that make cubes and drop them in a bucket in a freezer like box. Tapped into the water supply. Over $1000.

Any recommendations from personal experience would be most welcome.

David Falls
M/V Peapod

You need to make Ice up there? :rolleyes:

I have U-Line SP 18 ice maker. Works well; does a good job making ice. 110 volt that easily runs off shore power, generator, or inverter. All that said, I don't use ice. Prefer warm drinks with the exception of beer and orange juice. So, I don't use mine and can't tell you how well it's insulated or what the average daily KW load is.

Might end up using it as a beer fridge or second freezer.

Ted

I guess you should first ask yourself what you need the ice for and the amount you need.
The counter top portables have their place. But if your filling coolers and such then maybe the bigger unit is in order.

Many options for ice makers but me thinks I'm in the minority when it comes to making ice. I simply fill an empty milk carton or jug (or any appropriate container) with water and put it in the freezer. Simple and easy... that's how I like it. Others, of course, will say this is not for them but it sure beats paying for a designated ice maker not to mention the extra space it occupies. Simple guy with simple solutions. Just Sayin'

Last edited:
There are two types of home ice makers. The ~$1000 ones circulate water over a freezing surface to slowly freeze the ice. The ice drops in a container that is not cooled so the ice slowly melts and is replaced with more.

The other kind is less than $300 and makes ice like the ice maker in your fridge. This type works ok and is reasonably efficient. The former keeps the ice at 32 degree and is clear so it looks and feels better and never clumps.

David

We have 2 U Lines and they've been repaired a time or two but nothing serious. There are times we use a lot of ice for coolers, fish, extra stuff we don't have fridge space for etc. We've had lots of icemakers both boat and shore based. Part of life today and quite nice to have.

For us ice is mandatory and other than a large commercial type the only thing that works is multiple domestic undercounter units. They're distributed under different names, KitchenAid etc, but the style and process is all the same. Generally called a "plate type" icemaker, there is an approx 10"x10" freeze plate with continuous water flow that freezes to 3/8" or so thick, machine cycles and the entire frozen block slides down on to a cutter grid and 3/4x3/4x3/8" cubes fall into storage bin.
This type of machine will generally make ice even in quite rough weather, where the "Scotsman" type that tries to make individual cubes only works in calm conditions.
Unfortunately they're pretty $$, I'm thinking something like $1800 each, not sure.

Last edited:
I have a U-Line and am pretty happy with it although it did need repairing recently which wasn't cheap here in Oz. A new U-line here is A$2500 though.

Before the repair I measured steady-state consumption of 93 Ah for a 24 hour period. It might use a little than that if the ice container was empty and it was making ice although I think the freezer function is the power hog. It is quite an old unit though - perhaps newer ones use Danfoss or other more efficient compressors than my old beast.

If I am going on the hook for a bit I but don't need a lot of ice then I put the icemaker's contents into a bag in the regular fridge/freezer and then turn the icemaker off until I need more ice.

Last edited:
Insequent: "If I am going on the hook for a bit I but don't need a lot of ice then I put the icemaker's contents into a bag in the regular fridge/freezer and then turn the icemaker off until I need more ice."

That's what we do as well. Our ULine consumes too much power to operate when at anchor. If needed, will turn on when running or on shore power.

I removed our ice maker. I found a 110v unit to be of limited use when cruising and the empty space makes for great storage.
Debbie found a rubber ice tray that makes large cubes of ice which we put in the freezer. The large cubes last much longer when used in drinks and only one needed - at least at the rate we drink.

We have a Yeti cooler on the sundeck which at this time of year we fill with store bought ice not quite 2X a week. That's where the beer and tonic water goes. Works for us.

Ice maker ? Not for all.

If you have a large fridge and are mostly at marinas, just buy 15 lbs of ice of clear, hard, commercially made ice. For drinks buy a high grade ice bucket for entertaining. Save $ 1,000.00+, 80+ lbs, electricity, space. Have better, long lasting ice cubes. There are very good high quality coolers on the market that will keep your ice for days, and provide extra space for cooling other things. ;)

The cheaper counter top ice makers are not very durable nor is the ice very hard/cold. I have had and friends have had the counter top model and when you first get it you think its great, shortly there after you realize not so much, then shortly after that it breaks. A lot of plastic moving parts...

I prefer the simple countertop ice maker (Newair AI-215R) on the boat. I can stow it when not in use or pull it out and set it on the counter when needed. We also have an ARB electric cooler that works like a champ and will keep a stockpile of ice if/when we need to.
Fixed, built in continual ice makers on a boat don't seem to hold up well in my opinion, plus if you have the best type out there you are going thru quite a bit of water. To have the kind that will make fresh ice constantly (produce ice, melt ice produce ice and so on) so the ice will not be freezer burnt will cost you a couple thousand bucks and a valuable spot on the boat.
I'm very familiar with the KitchenAid stand alone units for homes and they are a great unit but at a steep price and depending on the quality of your water can be short lived.
Just my opinion is all.

There are two types of home ice makers. The ~$1000 ones circulate water over a freezing surface to slowly freeze the ice. The ice drops in a container that is not cooled so the ice slowly melts and is replaced with more.

The other kind is less than $300 and makes ice like the ice maker in your fridge. This type works ok and is reasonably efficient. The former keeps the ice at 32 degree and is clear so it looks and feels better and never clumps.

David

The Hatteras had a Scotsman icemaker that makes the clear "bar" ice as David describes. Really wonderful for cocktails and drinks. We used the boat to entertain a lot so the upkeep was worth it and pretty simple, given year around live aboard use. The SubZero in the galley makes copious amounts of "frozen" refridgerator ice which came in handy for other uses. For the portable coolers, we prefer to use the artificial blocks like Nu-Ice to keep things tidy, unless devoted to fish, then the SZ ice was the ticket.

I'am still using the original 1987 Raritan Icerette built-in unit. It makes and stores ice and I've also removed the storage container and used it as a extra freezer. It runs 24/7 9 to 10 months of the year. If it shot craps I would replace with the same new unit, it's been very dependable.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

I had one of the counter-top ice makers on my last boat. In Baja, where the heat is always present, it was one of the best things that I brought on to the boat. We always had ice when needed, whether anchored out or not, and I like my drinks cold. We even swapped ice for fish a couple of times. Mine was made by Edgestar, and cost less than $150. I had it for almost 3 years with no troubles. Unfortunately, I sold it with the boat. I may get another for my new boat.

Cheers, Bill

Another vote for the Raritan Icerette built-in unit. I have been the driver of two Bertram sportfish over the last 15 years. The first came with the Raritan as standard; the second had a Scotsman which was changed for a Raritan due to unreliability issues. IMHO Raritans are well made, compact, make plenty of ice and keep ice cold. Not cheap, but good. Prices currently seem to be around $1,300+. Raritan in Ft. Lauderdale are really nice people to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom