Seattle 12/28 fuel prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau Hana

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Went to get fuel today (the annual pilgrimage to fill the tanks). Called around, and was absolutely floored by the variance in prices.

Cash prices-
  • Shilshole- $2.65/gallon + taxes
  • Kington- $2.39/gallon + taxes
  • Edmonds- $2.12/gallon + taxes
  • Covich & Williams- $1.55/gallon + taxes!

It was worth the trip thru the locks to fuel up!

Went to get fuel today (the annual pilgrimage to fill the tanks). Called around, and was absolutely floored by the variance in prices.

Cash prices-
  • Covich & Williams- $1.55/gallon + taxes!

It was worth the trip thru the locks to fuel up!

We see similar. In Florida right now the rate is $1.88 to $4.00.

Pau Hana: "Went to get fuel today (the annual pilgrimage to fill the tanks). Called around, and was absolutely floored by the variance in prices.

Cash prices-
  • Covich & Williams- $1.55/gallon + taxes!"

If you watch the fuel prices over time, you'll see that Covich will almost always be lower when the supply price is going down. The reverse is true going the other way. Many Puget Sound marina's will charge based on the price of last delivery. This means that they may at times have cheaper or more expensive fuel than other marinas that adjust on market conditions (like Edmonds) irrespective of their costs.

Timing is important. I'm hoping for $2.00/gal diesel in Alaska this year. Last time that happened was in 2004.

Pau Hana: "Went to get fuel today (the annual pilgrimage to fill the tanks). Called around, and was absolutely floored by the variance in prices.

Cash prices-
  • Covich & Williams- $1.55/gallon + taxes!"

If you watch the fuel prices over time, you'll see that Covich will almost always be lower when the supply price is going down. The reverse is true going the other way. Many Puget Sound marina's will charge based on the price of last delivery. This means that they may at times have cheaper or more expensive fuel than other marinas that adjust on market conditions (like Edmonds) irrespective of their costs.

Timing is important. I'm hoping for $2.00/gal diesel in Alaska this year. Last time that happened was in 2004.

A fueling facility with small storage tanks will have an advantage when the price of fuel is dropping and be at a disadvantage when the price is on the rise.

Peter, are you familiar with the Fine Edge price survey? They check prices every week during season and publish them here.....

FineEdge.com

Peter, are you familiar with the Fine Edge price survey? They check prices every week during season and publish them here.....

FineEdge.com

Their "current" survey is August 29.

While by no means complete, Active Captain's fuel prices are very useful. They currently show prices in Washington from $1.75 to $3.45.

I've also used having fuel prices available to negotiate. For instance, we're going to a marina we really like. We are going to need a large quantity of fuel. We see the marina that we don't like as well but only half a mile away is $0.50 per gallon less. We're just honest and say that we don't want to go there for fuel so is there anyway they can come closer. Most of the time that's led to substantial discounts although not matching and we've purchased there.

Around home, we use fuel delivery 95+% of the time.

You guys don´t know how lucky You are. Last time I filled up (in Palma/Mallorca) I payed 6.54 USD per US gallon - ouch!

You guys don´t know how lucky You are. Last time I filled up (in Palma/Mallorca) I payed 6.54 USD per US gallon - ouch!

I`m with you Jonza- these guys just don`t realise how well off they are (fuel wise that is!!)

Their "current" survey is August 29.

Around home, we use fuel delivery 95+% of the time.
B, you're right, their current survey is outdated. They update it weekly during the boating season.

I've tried to get fuel delivery in our area but was told that a separate permit is needed for "over the water" fuel delivery, and that permit runs about $500.

I tried to get several diesel burners together for a "fuel day" where we could all fuel up and divide the cost of the permit.

Nobody was interested.

B, you're right, their current survey is outdated. They update it weekly during the boating season.

I've tried to get fuel delivery in our area but was told that a separate permit is needed for "over the water" fuel delivery, and that permit runs about $500.

I tried to get several diesel burners together for a "fuel day" where we could all fuel up and divide the cost of the permit.

Nobody was interested.

Is that a single use permit or just one that the dealer has to get one time?

Covich Williams delivers to commercial vessels on the water in Washington. They also have a dock in the Salmon Bay Ship Canal.

In the normal situation it's not worth the effort perhaps, but when needing large amounts it's useful to look to see where the commercial vessels get fuel. In South Florida we even have delivery by barge.

On the Columbia River, if you buy more than 100 gallons, use cash or Debit card the price is $1.80 at St. Helens OR marina.................

Kalama is $2.53, Astoria is almost $3

Been watching fuel for my trip South. Top Rack in Norfolk, VA is $1.70. Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick, GA is $1.56. :D

Ted

Been watching fuel for my trip South. Top Rack in Norfolk, VA is $1.70. Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick, GA is $1.56. :D

Ted

Get ready for sticker shock when you hit FL. This thread prompted me to do a quick search. I didn't find any less than $2.00, and most are in the $2.30-$2.50 range. I suppose I shouldn't complain, since I also remember the days of $4.00+.

to put it into perspective, 1.56 today is equivalent to 35 cents/gal in 1975.

With a 2,500 mile range, I won't be buying fuel in FL. :D

Ted

Last edited:
Anchor Petroleum, Fort Lauderdale $1.76.

Port Consolidated in Fort Lauderdale, Fort Pierce, Fernandina Beach about the same.

Luk Fuel slightly higher.

Peterson about the same.

Marine Supply, St. Augustine $1.84

Boatyard $2.04

That's just a few I have available.

I just filled up for $1.35/gal at Covich-Williams in Seattle. That's for more than 1000 gal and includes $0.10 off for cash/check. Sale tax is in addition, so about $1.48 after all taxes. Still not too bad.

At the Seattle Boat Show, the Des Moines Marina is giving a coupon for $.10 a gallon off their current price of $1.489. That's $1.389 a gallon and includes the sales tax. Haven't seen a price like that for 10 - 15 years. When I talked to them Monday, they had 15,000 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom