Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Montego spent a week or so at the dock in Campbell River this summer, awaiting charter guests I believe. Gorgeous, and hard to believe she is a wood yacht.

bones,
I see no ladder at all. Just small rub rails.
Al (lives in Ketchikan) says there are young people tenting the boat now.
May be good intentions but I suspect a livaboard. It's very common to live on boats close to sinking from neglect as they are dirt cheap and apartments in AK are NOT cheap. The fact that they are covering her is also a good sign. Depends if they're trying to save the boat by keeping the fresh water off the deck and house or just avoiding leaks inside.

No Eric, I am to understand that the intent is to rebuild the house and deck. May not develop though the harbor department made a fuss about the full cover as a aesthetic issue and had to be convinced the rebuild was valid. So we shall see.

Al

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1450375043.716815.jpg

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa
Sent from my iPhone, using Trawler Forum

The Wild South Project: a low-lowered, long-range cruising motor yacht | Nordkyn Design

Don't know if this has been here before, but it came to my attention today. To me the exterior is not at all attractive, but the aims of the concept seem about right. With the hull form and light weight I would guess she's tender initially (under foot) which might put many off. The deckhouse interior seems nice and bright, though overall it's very stark.

To me an interesting boat......

No Eric, I am to understand that the intent is to rebuild the house and deck. May not develop though the harbor department made a fuss about the full cover as a aesthetic issue and had to be convinced the rebuild was valid. So we shall see.

Al

So aesthetics have come to Alaska.
Never seen a harbor in Alaska w/o lots of tented boats. Especially in the winter.
Can't imagine that happening in Thorne Bay.

The Wild South Project: a low-lowered, long-range cruising motor yacht | Nordkyn Design

Don't know if this has been here before, but it came to my attention today. To me the exterior is not at all attractive, but the aims of the concept seem about right. With the hull form and light weight I would guess she's tender initially (under foot) which might put many off. The deckhouse interior seems nice and bright, though overall it's very stark.

Thanks Tad,

Something in the hull form reminds me of our Necky Tofino double sea kayak, which when loaded with supplies and all that weight below the waterline rides waves like a duck. Would be 'lively' though for sure! You could explore some skinny water, slip into lagoons, or anchor in river pools at high tide...it'd be a game changer on a lot of fronts.

Last edited:

Perhaps a bit of a wet boat?

Wet .... who cares!
I'd forgive that boat for worse than a wet windshield.
Perfect replacement for my old Willard. I've looked at a lot of other boats w an eye toward finding them a better boat than the W30. All have come down as great boats but ...... . No "but" that I can see on this one TAD. Thanks for posting.

At least as far as I can tell, no one ever picked up this concept and built it commercially in this length or any other?
I agree, interesting. I wish I could find interior pictures and an example drive train of a real life version.

The photoshop re due is a lot more shippy and better looking.

Sorry for removing that Photoshoped version, West. Copyright you know. Duh!

Last edited:
Sorry for removing that Photoshoped version, West. After accessing the sight myself I see the original photo had a copyright message below. Duh!

You can still post a "link" to the photo, or even the photo itself as long as you state it's origin/author.

Timeless by design

Perhaps class at a bit higher setting than we lowly trawler folks, yet, the carry over by some submissions to this thread is recorded. As I view this yacht visions of the Pilgrim, or Lord Nelson come to mind as new builds of classic design. Submitted for the enjoyment of all.:flowers:

Al-Ketchikan

Oh Oh... Al - You may have raised the Big Bad "anchor-debate" Devil, once again!!

Did you see the old-world-design twins on nose of that beautiful boat??

Looked pretty small to me... maybe they don't anchor and the twins are just for show. Or, do they both drop simultaneously for double the action... that could get confusing and hairy with changing wind or currents.

Happy Boat-Review Daze! - Art

My bad Art, Never gave it a thought. If I could photoshop, the changes would and will now that the subject YOU brought up resonates among the 'Hookers" about.:D Damn!! :rofl::lol:

Al-Ketchikan

My bad Art, Never gave it a thought. If I could photoshop, the changes would and will now that the subject YOU brought up resonates among the 'Hookers" about.:D Damn!! :rofl::lol:

Al-Ketchikan

OK, Al! I'll cop to it... :socool: :rofl:

Twas me simply a-stirren the flukes and shaft of anchor devilry... just ta see what we might dredge up fer anchor debate bottom feeders! - LOL :lol:

:dance: :speed boat:

I think the anchors took a lot of water in what I regard as fairly smooth water. I also wonder how long that beautifully set table would remain that way.

If you look at 1:16-1:19 of the video, there is what appears to be a stack change? What is that doing? It exposes some type of bracket facing astern. Any eagle eye spotters see what it is doing and why?

thx.
Stu

If you look at 1:16-1:19 of the video, there is what appears to be a stack change? What is that doing? It exposes some type of bracket facing astern. Any eagle eye spotters see what it is doing and why?

thx.
Stu

I saw an article about her being built and design. That is a crane hidden in the stack, the back also opens for the boom to lift. An expensive bit of camouflage for modern equipment on a retro design.:blush:

Integrated-Crane.jpg

I can't figure out how too make pic show. The stack opens for a hidden crane. A modern touch on a retro design.

Last edited by a moderator:

thx.
Stu

The hydraulic dinghy crane is hidden in the stack. A very odd video in that they really don't show the full exterior except with the sun in your eyes.....what are they hiding?

1972 Rawson

Came across this 41' Ed Monk, Sr North American built trawler on YW today. Being an East Coast guy, I had never heard of Rawson before. It is powered by twin Cat 3150 V-8s which I am also unfamiliar with. Nice to see that not all of these Double Cabin designs are Taiwanese Tubs.

Attachments

• rawson.jpg
    rawson.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 192
Came across this 41' Ed Monk, Sr North American built trawler on YW today. Being an East Coast guy, I had never heard of Rawson before. It is powered by twin Cat 3150 V-8s which I am also unfamiliar with. Nice to see that not all of these Double Cabin designs are Taiwanese Tubs.

Ed Monk Sr. had a very recognizable (above water-line) design platform in most boats he put pencil and paper to. He designed displacement, semi displacement, and planning hull-bottoms Nearly all Tollycraft boat hulls and much of their superstructures were for decades primarily designed by Ed Sr.; in conjunction with Robert Merland Tollefson (Mr. Tolly). After Ed Sr. passed... Ed Jr. carried on.

Photo you post looks very much like a Tolly. Tollycraft were strictly U.S.A. manufactured in Washington state. Over 6,500 were produced before Tollycraft manufacturing closed in mid 1990's. There are still thousands on the waters. Tollycraft boats were built very well . There is a marine yard in Washington trying to resurrect the production of Tollycraft boats. They have the molds and are attempting to provide electric powered Tolly's in the mid-size dimension that can have range and speed.

Many lengths of the older Tolly models had the double cabin design you mention... Mr. Tolly termed them "tri cabins" due to their three distinctly separate 3-room locations (tri cabin made for good marketing hype too - I imagine!). Our Tolly is the 1977 34' tri cabin model. More room than you can believe both inside and out, comfortable on all levels. Surprising low center of gravity and fine bow entry having flared prow makes it sea kindly. With twin Mercruisers able to turn out 510 total hp... as well as hard chine, skinny 2'10" draft and 11 degree dead rise bottom design our relatively fast Tolly (23 knots WOT / 17 knot cruise) can scoot when desired/needed; she's also quite economical at below hull speed for leisurely cruising. Additionally, The 34' wll (36' loa) makes for a very maneuverable, livable, and fully self contained boat that is economical to own, use, and store.

After decades around the water... I've never found better production boats than Tollycraft. Ed Monk Sr. was a master designer of boats.

Last edited:

Ron Rawson started building fiberglass boats in 1959. He build many types of work boats and cruisers. He built about 290 30 ft sail boats. We owned a 32 ft cruiser and the hull was solid glass, the thickest I have ever seen. It has often been said that you could drop the 30 ft sail boat off the space needle and it would be fine. He had a special relationship with the commercial fishing fleet in Alaska and they loved his boats.

Soooo what is predicted nmpg and at what speeds. I reviewed pretty well and saw no mileage stats... predicted or otherwise.

Wet .... who cares!
I'd forgive that boat for worse than a wet windshield.
Perfect replacement for my old Willard. I've looked at a lot of other boats w an eye toward finding them a better boat than the W30. All have come down as great boats but ...... . No "but" that I can see on this one TAD. Thanks for posting.

The footage originally came from the owner a few years ago, some might find it interesting. Short steep seas, tidal area, 40 knots or so.

The video reflect the often made comment by myself when referencing traveling up or down Clarence Strait in our 27 foot pocket cruiser. I enter Clarence Strait at 0400 for a five hour run to avoid this level of seas. By 1100 the straits reflect the video in the any given day.
Thanks for posting:flowers:

Al-Ketchikan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom