Kemah, Florida and beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crystal River....which we are enjoying immensely!

Attachments

• Crystalriver2.jpg
    Crystalriver2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 99
  • CR2.jpg
    CR2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 113
Wifey B: The first picture is an eat your heart out suckers kind of picture of paradise. Putting it on a Christmas card is cruel and inhumane and a very cool idea. That picture just like captures the life, captures the dream. I feel guilty sometimes to be in bikini weather and enjoying the palm trees while my friends and former co-workers are freezing and shivering, but not for long. :D

Well we have decided to stay another week in Crystal River. Plan is to then go to Caladesi State Park for a couple nights. From there I get a little confused as to where to go. I see St Petersburg Marina has a mooring field and is centrally located, but no beaches. Any suggestions folks as we wander down to the Keys??

We've chartered out of St. Petersburg a couple times, but my knowledge of the area is very limited. We loved St. Petersburg. It's a beautiful city with the usual amenities (good restaurants, museums, shopping, parks) if you're looking for a change of pace after being in the "boonies."

We enjoyed anchoring off Gulfport on Boca Ciega Bay in the St. Pete area. Gulfport has a lot to offer as well (restaurants, small grocery). It even has a public beach/park with picnic areas, though it's not on the Gulf. It has a nice protected anchorage and dinghy dock.

We also spent a couple nights anchored off Fort Desoto Park on the south side of Tampa Bay near Bradenton. It's a good anchorage, and the park has a nice little walking trail, but there isn't much else there. It's also exposed to all the traffic running in and out of the Manatee River. Personally, I'd pass it by and head further south to the Longboat Key/Sarasota area.

Thanks Mr Jim, Gulfport does look interesting!

We have always enjoyed St Petersburg. Clearwater Marina is right across from the beach.
Marina Jack in Sarasota is nice too. Englewood Beach has anchiiring or Chadwick Cove marina right across the street form the beach.
I thought about you all this morning. I saw special news report on the New Orleans local channel. Last night Walmart in N.O. stocked the freezers with BLUE BELL ice cream.
Blue Bell returns Monday to Louisiana markets
If you want to leave the boat and fly up for a couple of gallons let me know I'll pick you up at the airport!

I second Clearwater Beach City Marina for a good beach location. You will be going through Boca Ciega Bay and by Gulfport on the way South. I think the St. Pete Municipal Marina is worth several days. The location can't be beat for activities around town. Drug Stores, West Marine, and grocery shopping are an easy walk. Plenty of Restaurants. I could stay a season there.

You are now on what I call the cruising coast. Enjoy.

Awesome pics Blue! At the moment, we're living vicariously thru you.....so keep it up!

Blue: We really hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas...........even though you had to change your plans..............so to speak. Boating can be soooooooooooo unpredictable, but isn't that part of the fun? Again, Merry Christmas from the crew of In Disguise...........and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thanks Kevin and the same to you guys. We are still in Crystal River but plan on leaving this week for Caladesi State park. It's great to have no agenda. We thought we would be here a week and it will be almost a month when we leave. Life is good!!

Thanks Kevin and the same to you guys. We are still in Crystal River but plan on leaving this week for Caladesi State park. It's great to have no agenda. We thought we would be here a week and it will be almost a month when we leave. Life is good!!

Also great to find some places you really like, many of which one has no idea what to expect. Cruising is filled with pleasant surprises.

Well the DMA (daily milage average) is rapidly declining.:lol: Let us know when your underway again-Oh, and a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thanks Doug! Same back at ya. We are not snow birds but snow turtles LOL. Living every single day. The new dinghy has made it all so much more enjoyable.
Texas seems a long, long way away.... This unseasonably warm weather is also a bonus!

Thanks Doug! Same back at ya. We are not snow birds but snow turtles LOL. Living every single day. The new dinghy has made it all so much more enjoyable.
Texas seems a long, long way away.... This unseasonably warm weather is also a bonus!

We enjoy our RIB's so much. Just exploring things closer and seeing what is around.

Merry Christmas to you and Michelle!!!

Thanks John, to you and yours too!

you must have got your crane arm extension. How did it work out?

Hi Doug, the crane extension was Fedexed to me in Destin and I installed it the same day. It worked exactly as designed and I can launch and retrieve the new dinghy by myself now without pulling/pushing it into place. Powder coated aluminum.....perfect.

Attachments

• Dinghy lift.jpg
    Dinghy lift.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 83
Hi Doug, the crane extension was Fedexed to me in Destin and I installed it the same day. It worked exactly as designed and I can launch and retrieve the new dinghy by myself now without pulling/pushing it into place. Powder coated aluminum.....perfect.
That's great-always nice when everything fits and works as envisioned. Any updates on the voyage? Got Relenti back in the water-haven't taken her out to check prop yet-too much happening around here-weather, holidays, hunting. She sure looks better, though. I know she is going to fly with the reconditioned prop and new bottom job.LOL

Well, we finally left Crystal River on Thursday afternoon. The easterlies have been blowing the water out of the bay, making a high tide departure essential. We anchored out in the bay about 5 miles offshore in 10 ft of water, in 5 kt winds and a good forecast. By 20:00 we were registering 28 kts and got our butts kicked. The cruise down to Tarpon Springs was in 2-3 ft swells on the nose so was enjoyable and uneventful. We are at the very end of the river at Turtle Cove marina, where we have booked for a week. First impressions are pretty good on both the Marina and the town. We may be 'stuck' here for a while :)

I managed to pick up a crab trap, or at least the rope and float. No vibration or rpm change/rise in temperature and only found out when I hit reverse to back into our slip and the float popped out. I think it may have been hung on the rudder or prop shaft strut as I had no idea it was under there. I guess I will be getting wet today when I check it ut. I also want to check the entrance to our slip in case I left the trap there and sure don't want to pick it up again as I leave, or another boater run into it.

Pictures to follow as we do some exploring. Today will probably be a maintenance day as rain is expected. Doug, be sure to let us know how your 'sea trial' goes.

A belated Happy New Year to all!

Tarpon Springs is a great stop, lots of good bakeries and restaurants. One of the few places on the Gulf where one can get Octopus, it is really good, either marinated or charbroiled.
Sounds like a great trip!

Steve
Those Octopuses on the gulf side are like chewing latex rubber!!:rofl::):) Of course maybe I just haven't found someone that knows hw to prepare it.

Octopus can be tough they have to be tenderized by pounding or boiled a certain way, but the folks (Greeks) in Tarpon Springs have it down pat.
My friends in Argentina tell me you have to put a cork in the boiling water, no joking!

:facepalm:
Octopus can be tough they have to be tenderized by pounding or boiled a certain way, but the folks (Greeks) in Tarpon Springs have it down pat.
My friends in Argentina tell me you have to put a cork in the boiling water, no joking!

A picture from Capt'n Jacks and some of the crab trap line removed from the prop shaft.

Attachments

• 20160109_174000.jpg
    20160109_174000.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20160111_101531_778.jpg
    IMG_20160111_101531_778.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 89
Blue did you have any sort of line cutter on the shaft?

No sir. I did put one on the Rhino and will plan on putting a couple on Baobab, even though I have heard mixed results (when the water is a tad warmer!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom