Fernandina For Great Mexican Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
Traveling south? Fernandina is a perfect stop. Kevin, the dock master is great. And Peppers has the best Mexican food! Lunch special is $8.00 Fajitas. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444612513.798219.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444612526.410924.jpg

Oldest saloon in Florida too! ;)

Just stay upwind of the paper plants! :)

If you really want an awesome visit, go during the Shrimp Festival!

You passing through Jax next?

The owner and the chef are from Austin.

OK, that counts.

Years ago I was in Amsterdam, craving some Tex Mex. believe it or not I found a place owned by a guy from San Antonio. Not the best, but certainly was a pleasant surprise. There's also some pretty good Tex Mex in Croatia and New Zealand.

But in Texas it's an art form. Just sayin.

Hmmmm..... Are we discussing Mexican food or Tex-Mex? Two very different types of food. Sure, if you want "Tex-Mex" then Texas is the obvious choice, but if you want authentic "Mexican food" then your choices in the US are very limited. I haven't been to the OP's Pepper's in Fernadina so I can't comment on its authenticity but having lived in Mexico for the last 15+ years I would definitely be qualified to judge whether it is or isn't authentic Mexican food. Just Sayin'

BTW, the fajitas in the photos looks deli! :thumb:

Last edited:
Hmmmm..... Are we discussing Mexican food or Tex-Mex? Two very different types of food. Sure, if you want "Tex-Mex" then Texas is the obvious choice, but if you want authentic "Mexican food" then your choices in the US are very limited. I haven't been to the OP's Pepper's in Fernadina so I can't comment on its authenticity but having lived in Mexico for the last 15+ years I would definitely be qualified to judge whether it is or isn't authentic Mexican food. Just Sayin'

BTW, the fajitas in the photos looks deli! :thumb:

You're right on all counts. Tex Mex and Mexican are completely different. Both are great, but being from Texas I'm partial to Tex Mex. When we go to Mexico, the authentic Mexican food is wonderful.

Miguel's Cocina on Shelter Island in San Diego.....their chips and white cheese dip are the absolute best! Enchiladas are damn near perfect.:blush:

From my log northbound on the ICW last year:
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Friday July 18, 2014[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Engine Hours Start: Port: 139.8 Stbd: 1457.1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Engine Hours End Port: 147.1 Stbd: 1464.4 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Miles Today 53.6 Fuel: Aux[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Departed St Augustine mooring field at 0900 arrived Fernandina Beach mooring field at 1615[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Got up early and got the boat ready. Added ¾ oil to stbd engine Motored over to the Muni Marina fuel dock. Took on 86.6 gallon in the Aux tank. Got fuel water and pumped the heads. On our way by 0900. Ran slow the whole day. Saw a funnel cloud near JAX. Did run fast over the St. Johns river because of current. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Got to Ferndandina Bch mooring early enough to check in and walk the touristy town. Had dinner at Peppers a Mexican restaurant that allowed dogs at their outdoor seating area. Best Mexican food we’d had the whole trip. Back at the boat around dark, started the genny for AC and relaxed and watched TV.[/FONT]

We stayed there for a couple of days last spring and ate at the Mexican restaurant for lunch. We were going to eat at the famous "saloon" but were informed that they had no food, only drinks.

Fernandina beach is a nice stop and a nice marina.

Miguel's Cocina in Carlsbad is bigger then the one's on Shelter Island and Coronado. More room to sprawl after a big Mexican meal.

Thanks PGITUG. Appreciate the post. Always like to hear about good food close to docks. Will have to try it out when we make it down because we love Mexican food :)

Back
Top Bottom