Simrad NSS16 EVO2 with Simrad AP20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCieh

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lullabye
Vessel Make
Altena Blue Water Trawler Variant
Hello,
Just ordered a Simrad NSS16EVO2 and an IS40 for exchange with my Simrad CP/DS42 Combo.
The question is now if the new unit will work with my Simrad AP20 (two control heads) and the Simrad Radar CR42?
Any ideas out there?
Or will I have to buy a new Simrad AC42 autopilot computer and will this work with the other old AP20 equipment (RFC35, RF300)?
Regards and thanks in advance, Jan

Yes, but they'll be talking via NMEA 0183.

Sounds good. Is the AP20 only getting the GPS information or can it be controlled via NMEA0183 and the NSS EVO?

Sounds good. Is the AP20 only getting the GPS information or can it be controlled via NMEA0183 and the NSS EVO?

On most chartplotters you can toggle which sentences you want to output or input.

So the connection to your AP would go something like this

NSS-- Yellow & Blue to AP---- TX-1 & 2
NSS-- Orange & Green to AP---- RX 1 & 2

Also you would have to make sure both ports are running at 4800 for baud rate.

You can actually drop the control head and use just the MFD on my NSE 12. I am not sure if you can drop just one control head and use the MFD. I have that autopilot on my boat and use the MFD, the boat only has one steering station. It saved me some money on the control head.

Call Simrad and you will have the straight poop!

You can actually drop the control head and use just the MFD on my NSE 12. I am not sure if you can drop just one control head and use the MFD. I have that autopilot on my boat and use the MFD, the boat only has one steering station. It saved me some money on the control head.

Call Simrad and you will have the straight poop!

Can't do that with the AP-20.

My bad. I actually have the AC12 computer and an RPU80 drive linked to the MFD. AP-20 is older than my equipment.

Means that I've to keep the old control heads? But steering with the NSS will be possible in parallel or not?

Means that I've to keep the old control heads? But steering with the NSS will be possible in parallel or not?

No steering with the NSS. The AP control in the NSS only works with the AC12 and AC42 pilot computers.

But if I install AC42 can I use all other equipment as compass, rudder feedback, etc. ?
Have got three AP20 control heads. They would sell on Ebay for approximately more than a new AC42 and AP28 control will cost.
Or does my RFC35 not work with the AC42?

Call Simrad, but I don't think it will integrate. My AC12 autopilot computer talks to the MFD through a Simnet connection, and to everything else in the whole system including the sounder and anemometer through Simnet. There might be another way to do it but I would call their tech line and ask.

But if I install AC42 can I use all other equipment as compass, rudder feedback, etc. ?
Have got three AP20 control heads. They would sell on Ebay for approximately more than a new AC42 and AP28 control will cost.
Or does my RFC35 not work with the AC42?

No the RFC35, is either ROBNET or Sine & Cosine output format. Neither will work with the AC12 or 42. I'd keep the AP-20 it's a proven solid and reliable. I have two.

Call Simrad, but I don't think it will integrate. My AC12 autopilot computer talks to the MFD through a Simnet connection, and to everything else in the whole system including the sounder and anemometer through Simnet. There might be another way to do it but I would call their tech line and ask.

I recently dealt with this question, that is, an NSS evo2 mated to an AP20. I contacted Simrad and they said, no, the AP20 cannot be controlled by the NSS. However, with an Actisense interface I was able to send messages to the NSS MFD which I find helpful when docking or undocking with respect to the position of the rudder. I pilot from the upper helm and the AP20 head there does not show the rudder position.

Thanks guys,
You've been very helpful. Will pick up unit tomorrow in Savannah an then starting installation.

I recently dealt with this question, that is, an NSS evo2 mated to an AP20. I contacted Simrad and they said, no, the AP20 cannot be controlled by the NSS. However, with an Actisense interface I was able to send messages to the NSS MFD which I find helpful when docking or undocking with respect to the position of the rudder. I pilot from the upper helm and the AP20 head there does not show the rudder position.

I've had these autopilots on two boats. From the AP20 control head, pressing the STBY/PWR key turns on the system and initially displays hardware and software version information. After 5 seconds it is supposed to display the STBY screen which indicates the rudder position. I use this feature every time I take out my boat. Does yours not display the screen below in STBY mode?

Attachments

• Stby Mode 20-2.JPG
    Stby Mode 20-2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I've had these autopilots on two boats. From the AP20 control head, pressing the STBY/PWR key turns on the system and initially displays hardware and software version information. After 5 seconds it is supposed to display the STBY screen which indicates the rudder position. I use this feature every time I take out my boat. Does yours not display the screen below in STBY mode?

Yes, it does display my rudder position but only on the lower helm display. The upper helm display has fewer controls and only displays heading information although perhaps I just don't know how to get the display other information.

I havent used an AP20 specifically, but all the AP control heads that I have used have multiple display screens in each of their operational modes. You can select which one you prefer, so most likely this can be easily changed on your other helm. Do you have the owners manual? If not you can probably download it from the Simrad web site.

Jcieh, if you decide to sell your AP20 heads I would be very interested in purchasing them. Send me a PM if you would like to work something out. Thanks

Rogerh, will do this if I'm going to switch to AC42.

@Catalinajack: System on my boat is working very well with two steering positions and also indicates rudder position on both units. So seems indeed a settings problem.

Again thanks to all. NSS EVO2 and AP20 working together. AP is receiving the GPS signal and also tracking the routes/waypoints preciseley.
@Rogerh: Sorry, but in this case I'm going to keep the AP control heads.

Again thanks to all. NSS EVO2 and AP20 working together. AP is receiving the GPS signal and also tracking the routes/waypoints preciseley.
@Rogerh: Sorry, but in this case I'm going to keep the AP control heads.

You say that the AP20 is tracking routes and waypoints precisely. Are you saying that the NSS Evo2 is sending waypoints to the AP20 and controlling steering? Or, are you enterting waypoints directly into the AP20?

The AP 20 tracks the routes/waypoints received from the NSS EVO2. As it should be.

The AP 20 tracks the routes/waypoints received from the NSS EVO2. As it should be.

No doubt, then, that it is user error but I have not been able to get get my NSS 12 evo2 to accept routes. I contacted Simrad tech support and was told that it could not be done but, yet, you have been successful in getting the NSS to control the autopilot. What do I need to do to make this happen? A setting?

The NSS Evo2 doesn't control the AP20, it only submits the actual waypoints (single or one after the other from a route) via NMEA0183 to the network where the AP20 does receive them. So definetly no bidirectional communication between both units:(

The NSS Evo2 doesn't control the AP20, it only submits the actual waypoints (single or one after the other from a route) via NMEA0183 to the network where the AP20 does receive them. So definetly no bidirectional communication between both units:(

So, does that mean a waypoint can be fixed on the NSS, then sent to the AP20 as a waypoint to which it will steer to?

Yes, if you define a waypoint and start "go to" the AP20 will receive this waypoint and track it. But you need the Simrad Video/NMEA0183 cable to send/receive NMEA0183 information from/to the NSS Evo2.
Also the Baud rate is allowed to be maximal 4,800 Baud!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom